The art of parking.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to give wonky parkers a free pass, but also worth remembering that over the years cars have only got bigger and bigger,

While i agree cars have got bigger there is no excuse for parking like this -

1641394941504.png

1641395108930.png
1641395128004.png

I would totally agree with you there and they don't have to be extremely wealthy people who look down their noses at others just downright ignorant.
Yeah, and it might be worse than that. The banks/auto industry have set it up so even an average/slightly below average wage earner can get behind the wheel of a new vehicle that should be priced way out of their range. You can get an eight-year loan on a car here (shaking my head just writing that). A 3-year loan used to be the norm. You get the "low" payments spread out for such a long time that you're not overextended. Thus, you can see a $40K car being driven by the average person. Terrible, terrible fiscal decision.
People here are easy to take advantage of especially when you dangle a treat like a new car in front of their noses.

I once worked with a chap who,having very little outgoings, spent his money on cars. One being a brand new 80k super charged Jaguar. He would ALWAYS double park it,anywhere. He said the parking penalty was much worth paying instead of having dings and paintwork fixing.

A few days back there was a small house fire down the street (no injuries, minor smoke damage) but close enough that the fire truck hooked up to the hydrant one door down. We have a neighbor who almost always parks right in front of the hydrant. My wife said she has seen photos where the firemen break through both passenger and driver windows and thread the hose through. He got lucky.

Where I work is on a hill and the customer car park is sloping. It is worrying how many people don't park with the handbrake on properly and/or don't park in gear. We have witnessed on many occasions cars rolling away and it's lucky no one has been hurt or that one hasn't gone out the entrance on to the main road. We have had ones where the steering must have been locked with the wheels turned and they have done a semi loop of the car park, sometimes coming to rest in another space. A lady once was so bewildered how her car was parked in a different space far down the car park from where she had left it that she accused us of somehow moving her car while she was shopping. Obviously this could be very dangerous but it is also rather amusing watching people try to run after a runaway vehicle as if they would actually be able to do anything if they ever caught up with it...

My mate drives HGV gas tankers. One morning he was out in a brand new truck making deliveries and parked it to open a gate. These trucks have automatic brake in park,but when he turned round it was gone! It had rolled away,down the road,across a junction,through the hedge and stopped against a tree in the field. The braking system was faulty and they all had to be recalled. Only that it was very early and no one was about stopped a disaster.

I have to agree with @RichardM, that car park spaces are too small for modern cars. Although I try to be a considerate parker, there are times when you park equidistant to the neighbouring cars (you can't see the lines from the drivers seat), only to discover when you get out, that you are as wonky or wide as the other cars.

There are some arrogant bastards out there who couldn't give a monkey's about anyone else, but much of the bad parking is down to a lack of skill or spatial awareness.

D Hickman
Tesco Abingdon Oxfordshire....
Chain hanging from belt with keys on ...
Proper cock womble
🙄

1641838726819.png

There's "logic" in that illogical parking job--he's moved forward enough to stay out of the driving pathway even while disregarding the obvious, raised boundary.
Is that a UK license plate? I don't recall seeing personal trucks very often if at all.

Back