The Basic Brewers Brews.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you sanitise any of the things you put in the FV?

It looked like you pulled the special airator tool out of a drawer and the hydrometer straight out of its case. ashock1

Just for the record, I moved the video into this forum as TBB had posted it on the end of a very long and old thread about a different kit.

Did you sanitise any of the things you put in the FV?

It looked like you pulled the special airator tool out of a drawer and the hydrometer straight out of its case. ashock1
No they were in the sink full of sanitizing fluid I got some really good stuff that kills everything

ALL TIPS, HINTS, SECRETS and HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED FROM EVERYONE AND ANYONE THAT WANTS TO HELP A NEWBY THAT HAS JUST STARTED ON HIS BREWING JOURNEY...
BEST HOBBY EVER LOL

My Premium I.P.A has been in the FV for 2 days now and it still has got no head around the top, although it is very active and burping every 5 seconds should I be worried or is that ok??

Also I'm running it at 20°/22°... should it be hotter.?. Colder.?. Or ok.?.
......***ALL HELP AND ADVICE IS APPRECIATED***.....
20200403_150349.jpg

Hi TBB,

Your very fast mate, you make me look like a slug on Valium when I do mine !

I just ordered the hammer of Thor lager and bad cat red ale kits and am looking forward to getting them going, you mentioned bottles in your video, the local pub put aside loads of 500ml bulmers cider and rekorderlig bottles for me for free, so it's worth asking as the pubs have to pay to get rid of them.
I load them neck down in my dishwasher and that gets the labels off and cleans them.

Enjoy your new hobby and keep sharing mate.

Mark

The temp sounds about right, and if it's bubbling that sounds good too, some kits generate much more head / krausen than others.

Re the bottles from the pub, unfortunately that will have to be after the virus crisis has past and the pubs are open again.

Mark

Buy 500ml bottles of water use the water for your next brew and the empty bottles for your current brew. U will need another FV or keg to use this method. I transfer from my FV to a pressure barrel to bottle using a little bottled as my FVs don't have taps.

Also I'm running it at 20°/22°... should it be hotter.?. Colder.?. Or ok.?.
......***ALL HELP AND ADVICE IS APPRECIATED***.....
View attachment 24046
I would lower the temperature a bit. All my beers are temperature controlled at 19*C. If its a kit you are brewing the instructions usually tell you to brew warm since it speeds up the fermentation time, and that justifies them saying you can be drinking it in four weeks or similar when most beers usually need about six weeks or more.
If I haven't linked this before you might find this useful
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum
And you don't need a tap on your FV. I siphon. Always have. Its all down to personal preference. But a clip to secure the siphon tube to the rim of the FV is useful. I made mine out of two plastic clothes pegs and some wire which works better than the 'proper' clip I bought.

They have been coordinating for 5 days so far but they still look misty will that sort its self out??
20200405_132743.jpg

They have been coordinating for 5 days so far but they still look misty will that sort its self out??View attachment 24152
You are rushing thingsasad.. One of the basics practised by many on here until they get to know what they are doing is the 2+2+2 'rule'. That's 2 weeks in the FV, 2 weeks carbonation, and 2 weeks conditioning. 2 weeks in the FV allows for the primary to finish and the yeast to clean up its own byproducts and then mostly settle out. 2 weeks in carbonation allows for the yeast to consume all of the priming sugar and then start to drop as it finishes its job. 2 weeks in conditioning means the beer matures and will be all the better to drink, but note that some beers do not come good for many weeks and for a few months. So I repeat you are rushing things. Follow the 2+2+2 rule for your first few beers and then you will have gained enough experience to deviate from that to suit what you are doing. Next yes you beer will eventually clear when the yeast has finished its job in the bottle, but note that some yeasts settle quicker than other. Finally take note of my 'signature' under this post athumb..

It was fermenting for about 2 weeks, I'm gonna leave it for 2 weeks to carbonate then put the bottles in my garden cupboard so it's cold and out the sun, I've just ordered a lil second hand fridge that I'm gonna turn into a fridganater to serve my beer cold I'll send step by step pix... I just wanted to see if my beer was carbonating in case I messed it up, I'm glad I've got ya helping me out, what kit are u doing next so I can get one and we do it together... where and what is your signature.?.?.?. Lol my beer had a bitter taste that it didn't have b4 I bottled it up 🤔 any ideas.?.?.?.
Dave

You are doing what I did when I first started brewing just over a year ago. The last bottle was always the best because it wasn’t properly ready until I got to the last bottle!
Leave them at about 20 degrees for another week then put them away somewhere cool for at least another two.
If you feel tempted to crack another open before then read the @terrym post above again.

Back