The Basic Brewers Brews.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was fermenting for about 2 weeks, I'm gonna leave it for 2 weeks to carbonate then put the bottles in my garden cupboard so it's cold and out the sun, I've just ordered a lil second hand fridge that I'm gonna turn into a fridganater to serve my beer cold I'll send step by step pix... I just wanted to see if my beer was carbonating in case I messed it up, I'm glad I've got ya helping me out, what kit are u doing next so I can get one and we do it together... where and what is your signature.?.?.?. Lol my beer had a bitter taste that it didn't have b4 I bottled it up 🤔 any ideas.?.?.?.
Dave
My 'signature' is under every post I make. It is 'Patience is the Friend of the Homebrewer'. Every member can create their own. Right click on your member ID at the top right after you have logged in, and find Signature in the table underneath and open the signature link.
I don't brew kits any more, but if you tell Forum members what beers you like they can advise, although some kits may be in short supply at present due to the CV19 situation.
And your beer has not properly conditioned yet so some of the 'odd' flavours you have at present may mellow out with time.

I have created a signature but How do I add my signature to my posts???
I have just ordered...
•50× 500ml bottles.
•Sanitizing crystals. (Which brand is best).?.?
•Priming Sugar. (Same again).
•30ltr 30s Keg with tap.

I'm still debating which kit to get next I like Stella, Coors light and San Miguel so any thing that tastes close to them please my PREMIUM I.P.A has been in my FV for 7 days now, I haven't touched or opened it once the instructions say leave it 10 days b4 I bottle/keg but I'm thinking I will test the FG on the 10th day and go from there but if you think I should wait longer plz let me know Tha k again
Dave

I have created a signature but How do I add my signature to my posts???
I have just ordered...
•50× 500ml bottles.
•Sanitizing crystals. (Which brand is best).?.?
•Priming Sugar. (Same again).
•30ltr 30s Keg with tap.

I'm still debating which kit to get next I like Stella, Coors light and San Miguel so any thing that tastes close to them please my PREMIUM I.P.A has been in my FV for 7 days now, I haven't touched or opened it once the instructions say leave it 10 days b4 I bottle/keg but I'm thinking I will test the FG on the 10th day and go from there but if you think I should wait longer plz let me know Tha k again
Dave
If you're reading the website on a mobile device, depending on the screen size signatures may not be visible. I use Chrome browser on smartphone with auto-rotate enabled. When I turn the phone to view in landscape format I can see signatures. YMMV

YMMV - your mileage may vary.

I wondered if that might catch you out. That's two things you've learned today, you deserve a beer. :smallcheers:

I was given a great tip from @terrym who has assured me that using the 2*2*2 rule will help my home brewing out exponentially, even tho patience is not my strong point I will be using this method from now on. This forum has made my journey in to home brewing so much better I love u all u dont have to help a NEWBY like me but u all do so thank you everyone..
Dave

When i first started home brewing one of the old boys here said "the hardest thing to learn in this hobby is patience" it still fits all these years later glad you are going to give it a shot Dave. thumb

Have you got any recommendations for my next kit.?.?.?. As I will be bottling/kegging up my PREMIUM I.P.A in about a week so am looking for my next brew, I like stella, San~miguel, Coors light and bulmers (cider)...

Hi again my home brew possie, quick question about priming my bottles/keg...
•°•What is the best thing to use.?...
•°•can I use normal sugar.?...
•°•Wheres the best/ cheapest place to get things.?...
Tha is again guys
Dave

Hi Dave,

You can use normal sugar, a small funnel helps get it into the bottle.

I have just bought a box of 100 sugar sticks off of eBay for ÂŁ7 delivered which saves measuring the sugar as each stick has 2.5 g in it. , It's cheaper than carbonation drops but more expensive that table sugar and a funnel !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223619046626
Mark

Hi Dave,

You can use normal sugar, a small funnel helps get it into the bottle.

I have just bought a box of 100 sugar sticks off of eBay for ÂŁ7 delivered which saves measuring the sugar as each stick has 2.5 g in it. , It's cheaper than carbonation drops but more expensive that table sugar and a funnel !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223619046626
Mark
So what would you do? Just add one stick to every pint bottle?. Someone told me I should be adding about 4g per each 500ml bottle. I went all out and spent ÂŁ12 per kilo on brewing sugar for my 1st and 2nd batch but it taste just like normal sugar thort if I could save a buck or 2 I'll be happy...
Will it matter that I used 1.5kg of brewing sugar when I first mixed up the premium I.p.a ?. If it's going to taste the same then I'm going to order them sugar of Ebay aswell. I wont need priming sugar for next 30 batches using one stick per bottle. Cheers again bud..
Dave
P.s... how far away from me (Birmingham).?.?.?. I'd love to send you a 6 pack of my Evil Dog to say thank you 🍻🍻

I have ordered a keg for this batch...
Screenshot_20200407-225217_Gmail.jpg

I have 100 × 500ml glass bottles total, A.T.M I have 30 bottles full of EVIL DOG, and 70 bottles waiting to be filled 🤪... but I thought I would use a keg 4 this batch of PREMIUM I.P.A just to see if theres any difference in it carbonating, plus I wanna save my bottles for my Craft Beers (SPECIAL BEERS) lol do I use the same amount of sugar in the keg as I would if I bottled it up.?.?.?. I ended up wasting about 5litres of my EVIL DOG when I bottled it as I didn't want to disturb the sediment i didn't realise the sediment at the bottom had solidify till I went to flush it 🤪...
20200401_143043.jpg

Can I use the sediment at 5he bottom to make another brew if I keep a few of them and put 5them all in 1 FV.?.?.

If it was me and it will be in a week or so, I would put
1 stick in a 330 ml
2 stick in a 500ml
3 stick in a 750ml
Using the 2.5g sticks that I have bought.
I would use brewing sugar when required for the main brew and granulated sugar for priming either in barrel or bottles.

I'm new to this like you and this advice is passed on from what I've learned from others on this fine forum.

I opened my first bottle of Wilko Mexican beer tonight and was very happy with the result. The kit was ÂŁ12 and the Brewing sugar was ÂŁ2.75 this is a highly reviewed kit and very simple to make.
So what would you do? Just add one stick to every pint bottle?. Someone told me I should be adding about 4g per each 500ml bottle. I went all out and spent ÂŁ12 per kilo on brewing sugar for my 1st and 2nd batch but it taste just like normal sugar thort if I could save a buck or 2 I'll be happy...
Will it matter that I used 1.5kg of brewing sugar when I first mixed up the premium I.p.a ?. If it's going to taste the same then I'm going to order them sugar of Ebay aswell. I wont need priming sugar for next 30 batches using one stick per bottle. Cheers again bud..
Dave
P.s... how far away from me (Birmingham).?.?.?. I'd love to send you a 6 pack of my Evil Dog to say thank you 🍻🍻

Patience Dave, patience.
If you allow your beer to ferment for two weeks without touching it, moving it, changing temperatures etc things will be good.
Once bottled, leave indoors for two weeks. No need to go shaking them or looking at them.
Then put somewhere cold for at least two weeks before even trying one.
I tend to leave mine in the cold for a minimum of 6 weeks before trying them.

For lager type brews, I've found a sugar cube is perfect for secondary carbonation in 500ml bottles.
Only a quid for a box, you can't go wrong.

If you like a stella type strength brew, something like a coopers lager, brewed to 21 litres with 500g of extra light spray malt and a kilo of brewing sugar will get you a strong brew.

Take your time mate, the results vastly improve given time.

Back