The beer, wine and cider snack thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro tip is to get the half pizza supper, as the cut side is the best bit that gets really crispy and tasty

i try and have a maximum of 2 deep fried pizzas a year. they are delicious but you can feel things clogging as you chew. chippy near me actually makes the pizzas they deep fry but the usual cheap ones out of the packet do me fine. never had any deep fried confectionary at all despite being from glasgow.

I have an item that produces good results. Below is just the basic recipe.

Buffalo Chicken wings
Small legs or wings or substitute peeled, de veined, tailless and butterflied shrimp. Don't use big shrimp.
Put ten pieces of legs/wings in a plastic bag or suitable container
Add a few ounces of Frank's Redhot Sauce (or similar) to coat
Marinate overnight or for a day, make sure the wings get sauced.
Toss, to coat, in flour. Tap off excess. With the shrimp you can flatten them out on parchment paper for ease.
Deep fry at 350°F until the pieces just float (no longer) . Takes about five minutes. Two minutes for the Buffalo shrimp.
Toss in a steel bowl with hot sauce and some melted butter.
Ranch or bleu cheese dressing is a common dressing to serve.
Hey Dave that sounds great!
We can get the Frank's sauce here but what do you think about it? Do you think it's "red hot" or "hot and red"?

I was thinking it had to be suitable for beer drinking.
We can get the Frank's sauce here but what do you think about it?
I'm glad to know it's available. It's a great marinade but won't be spicy hot once the wings are out of the fryer. So its "red and a little hot" if you toss it with butter when you're coating to serve. That's where individual taste comes in. You could do BBQ sauce that's sweet and add cayenne if desired.
One thing I left out was when you toss the cooked wings in sauce and melted butter, use a four to one ratio of sauce to butter (1 cup sauce to 1/4 cup of melted butter).
I cannot stress how perfectly these wings come out if you remove them from the oil as soon as they float.

deep fried pizza
Not a whole, deep-fried pizza per se (not sure I understand what it is, actually), but I was goofing around and made a batch of pizza dough and once it was ready to make a pizza, I weighed out about 4oz, flattened it and fried it on each side in about 1/2" of oil, flipped it when it was golden. When the second side was done, I put some warm pizza sauce on it, cheese and some pepperoni and put it under the broiler. Hard to get it wrong.

Wife's homemade beer snacks.... Absolutely delicious, roasted chickpeas with smoked paprika, garlic salt and pepper
Tell your wife, thanks. I was inspired and when I went to the store bought the garbanzo beans. I made a one-can batch (I think 15.5oz) to test. It's in the oven right now (7:41pm your time).
Edit: I'm sure I'll have a question or two. I used 1/2t smoked paprika, 1/2t garlic salt, light oil and 1/4t white pepper to be less conspicuous.

Tell your wife, thanks. I was inspired and when I went to the store bought the garbanzo beans. I made a one-can batch (I think 15.5oz) to test. It's in the oven right now (7:41pm your time).
Edit: I'm sure I'll have a question or two. I used 1/2t smoked paprika, 1/2t garlic salt, light oil and 1/4t white pepper to be less conspicuous.
Sounds good Dave, clocks have gone back by an hour though 😀 I'm sure sprinkling a bit more on after cooking wouldn't do any harm if needed more flavour

sprinkling a bit more on after cooking
Forgot about DST. Is yours today, the 31st? US is tomorrow.
In any case, yes, I think more, maybe almost double. I have seven more cans to experiment with.
I supposed they would get crispy all the way through. I cooked longer and almost achieved it. You can't ask for a much better snack. They'll replace chips for when i get the urge.

Got some tinned chick peas...I got no garlic salt though...got garlic powder. Got smoked paprika, ordinary paprika,every curry spice you could think of...

i'm partial to home made tortilla chips (though i'll admit to rarely making the tortillas themselves from scratch).
some of that spray oil stuff on tin foil, cut the tortillas into suitable shapes and place them on the foil then a few more sprays of oil. top with whatever but in this case it was snowflake salt and red bell pepper flakes. 20 minutes in a medium oven.
IMG_20201101_112704.jpg

I'm going to try the chick peas with garlic and rosemary next time...I think cheese would be good too...how could cheese be incorporated?

Latest posts

Back