The beer, wine and cider snack thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and how could I forget butteries.

Ah, this reminded me of a time we stayed with friends in Aberdeen a while ago and they were telling us about these, or trying to. I struggled with the accent a bit and after askIng “what” a few times I just gave up and went with it. Was so pleased we didn’t get a plate of Duracell AA’s!

Macaroni pie 😄😄😄

Not sure i would want to try it now I've seen it close up.

1604084925564.png

Love this video -

Why Butteries were invented.

Macaroni pie - the peak of fusion food.

So many things missed out that are the stars of student food in Scotland to go with beer (or wine when I was more studenty....)
The fudge donut, which you can unbelievably now buy frozen (these warm freshly cooked are heavenly) Box of 4 Fudge Doughnuts (frozen) | Fisher & Donaldson
The onion bridie from the all night bakery after the pubs close (oh they tasted so good after a night out in the early hours... and no one ever would consider buying one during the day... sort of vampire vegetarian food)
Haggis and potato bonbons, a great way to use up leftovers from Burns' night. no recipe, just mix the mashed tatties and neaps wi' a wee dash of milk and butter, wrap around a bit of haggis and coat wi' breadcrumbs - deep fry of course as all the modern Scottish foods are of course. Well the children like them anyway.
Oh and if we are talking takeaway, honourable mention to the smoked sausage supper, a blatantly phallic meal that can only ever be eaten in private.

Anna

I have an item that produces good results. Below is just the basic recipe.

Buffalo Chicken wings
Small legs or wings or substitute peeled, de veined, tailless and butterflied shrimp. Don't use big shrimp.
Put ten pieces of legs/wings in a plastic bag or suitable container
Add a few ounces of Frank's Redhot Sauce (or similar) to coat
Marinate overnight or for a day, make sure the wings get sauced.
Toss, to coat, in flour. Tap off excess. With the shrimp you can flatten them out on parchment paper for ease.
Deep fry at 350°F until the pieces just float (no longer) . Takes about five minutes. Two minutes for the Buffalo shrimp.
Toss in a steel bowl with hot sauce and some melted butter.
Ranch or bleu cheese dressing is a common dressing to serve.

Latest posts

Back