The Best Dry Yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
What's your "go to" dried yeast? Have you tried others and moved or stayed put? Are you brand Faithfull or change per beer style?
Personally I have almost exclusively used CML for the past 6 months,with a few Safale and wilko along the way. The CML is very cheap and drops very clear quickly but doesn't readily stick to the bottle. Flavour wise I'm quite pleased with my beers but really don't have a great comparison unless I obviously repeat some brews and sub the yeast.
What would be a good starting point to sub the American pale and the English ale otherwise than with safale or wilko?
I haven't long moved to ag and read a lot about yeast making a difference so it does make you think.....

Cheers

Clint

I’ve used CML a lot over the last year, but I’ve recently gone back to Mangrove Jacks because I seem to get more consistent results with their yeasts than any of the other brands I’ve used.

I regularly use SO4, US-05 and Gervin. All seem to work fine and to be honest I can't really tell any difference in the beer produced. US-05 takes longer to stick to the bottom of the bottle but it gets there in the end.

My Goto dried yeasts are CML Kolsch for blonde ale/pseudo lagers and stouts in particular if is quite cold (15C or so) on my kitchen floor and notty during the hottest part of summer when its even too hot in my kitchen for a yeast with lots of esters to make bitter with (currently Gales strain)

I've been happy with CML for the last 18 months or so. A recent brew with S-04 is different, but not necessarily better than CML... but over twice the price. But I've been hearing positive noises about MJ all over the place recently, so I'm going to try a selection of those soon.

I've been happy with CML for the last 18 months or so. A recent brew with S-04 is different, but not necessarily better than CML... but over twice the price. But I've been hearing positive noises about MJ all over the place recently, so I'm going to try a selection of those soon.

I really like the MJ california common yeast (havent tried the CML version yet). It made a malty brew and really made the hops pop

I like Safale for neutral yeasts, so I use S04 and US05 a lot. For Belgian, Wheat etc I’d go for the relevant MJ strain. I’ve dabbled with CML, I’m not a huge fan of the pale ale yeast and my first brew with the real ale isn’t ready to taste yet.

I had no joy with CML yeasts, but I realise that is a minority experience. I've had ok, well better than ok, results with Nottingham, but Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell has been amazing and is my present favourite; great reliability, attenuation and flavour.

However, I would like to give an honourable mention to Cooper's Kit yeast (their own one in their original series kits) . Nice and neutral, attenuates well and so, so reliable. Never seen it sold individually though.

US 05 is the go-to for me. I also re-use the trub from the first FV into 250ml bottles (say 4-6) that previously held lemonade. Re-using the yeast in this way, sort of negates arguments over its original cost.

US 05 is the go-to for me. I also re-use the trub from the first FV into 250ml bottles (say 4-6) that previously held lemonade. Re-using the yeast in this way, sort of negates arguments over its original cost.
Do you step up the yeast from each 250ml bottle?

US05 no need for anything else for a nice hoppy IPA.
Would be good to do a split batch and compare it to the CML American Pale.

Do you step up the yeast from each 250ml bottle?

No, you keep it in the fridge under the green beer, until it gets taken out on Brew Day and it warms up nicely to ambient at around the temps of the wort.
Then it gets slung in, after at least 5 shakes up during the brew day, and off it goes.
Even after 2-3 months in the fridge, there seem to be sufficient cells for a lively fermentation.

I suspect that the key to re-using trub yeast is to be generous with the amount of newly brewed beer it is kept under. I leave about a litre of actual beer and swill the primary FV with it before starting the transfer into the 250ml bottles.

For golden ales, English pales (including bitter) and the like, I reckon I'm settled on Mangrove Jacks M36 Liberty Bell. Until I've tried out some liquid yeasts that is, as I'm always willing to accept there may be something better.

Not settled on a Belgian yeast yet, I need to try more as I've only tried the CML one, and can't say it impressed me.

Saison, I really like the MJ M29 French Saison, BUT again I wan't to try more, including liquid ones. Same for wheat beers, I reckon liquid options will be better for this style.

About to try MJs M42 New World Strong Ale for a stout. I've heard really good stuff about it, although somebody on here said it doesn't flocculate all that well, guess I'll see. I reckon I'll probably want to stay with dried for stouts, but might give Irish Ale liquid yeasts a try just to be sure. Need temperature control first though, as from product descriptions it's not a good idea going over 20 degrees C with that particular strain.

So basically, the only yeast I am loyal to at the moment is the M36 Liberty Bell. As JJSH says, it's seriously dependable, and tolerates fermenting a touch warmer happily. My loyalty is subject to change however, I used what does the best job, in flavour, clearing and sticking to the bottle. Price is of less import, when you consider that £2.34 is less than the price of a pint in the majority of pubs... Heck, a tub of cockroaches for my spiders costs double this....:laugh2:

You'll never find one yeast that suits all tastes though, as we all like different things, and taste things differently too. I can't stand celery or Marmite after-all (Marmite is murder of my yeasty buddies! lol), but my wife loves them...:laugh8: My wife can't stand smoked cheese or bacon, om nom nom nom nom.... :nod:

No, you keep it in the fridge under the green beer, until it gets taken out on Brew Day and it warms up nicely to ambient at around the temps of the wort.
Then it gets slung in, after at least 5 shakes up during the brew day, and off it goes.
Even after 2-3 months in the fridge, there seem to be sufficient cells for a lively fermentation.

I suspect that the key to re-using trub yeast is to be generous with the amount of newly brewed beer it is kept under. I leave about a litre of actual beer and swill the primary FV with it before starting the transfer into the 250ml bottles.
Great, that sounds very straightforward. :hat:

For hoppier styles I tend to go to US05 although not used it for a while, I have been using CML US for them recently.. its okay not 100% sure yet though. MJ44 is pretty good too although I haven;t used it enough times to decide whether I prefer it or not.

Nottingham/gervin/ WIlko is a solid performer and won't let you down. Not as good on hoppier ales though, but attenuates and floc well and is tolerant to temps.

It does depend on what you brwe though.. I want to try some Kolsh yeast from CML

Latest posts

Back