The best of the best?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
Fathers day is coming and I'll be asked what I want, I'm tempted by a two can/pouch kit. I have brewed AG for years.

Eliminating the crazy over hopped IPAs what's the best of the best?

Atb. Aamcle

I liked the st peters cream stout. Premium 2 can kit with a small satchet of hops.

Conversely, avoid the st peters honey porter 🤮

The Mangrove Jacks kits are excellent when made with DME or LME. I’ve made the Juicy Session IPA, Pink Grapefruit IPA, Bavarian Wheat beer and I’ve currently got an Irish Red Ale on at the moment which I’ll be bottling tomorrow. They are all very nice beers, but the Juicy Session IPA really stands out as a gorgeous beer. For me the best of the best. The Bruphoria James Blonde Ale Kit from the HomeBrew Company is also very good and is a 2 can kit. I started in December and I’ve only done 9 brews so far, so not huge experience. But so far all have been very drinkable.

I would second the MJ Pink Grapefruit IPA. I haven't tried the Juicy Sessions IPA but by all accounts, it pips the Pink Grapefruit at the post. If you like your stouts, I would highly recommend Youngs American Mocha Porter.

Isn't that a highly hopped U.S. IPA?
If you're referring to the MJ's IPA's, I can't comment on the Juicy Session, but for the Pink Grapefruit, I wouldn't say it's crazy/highly hopped. It's very like Brewdog's Elvis Juice, not like their Punk IPA.

If you're referring to the American Mocha Porter, no, it's a Porter with hints of chocolate. It went down well with friends who don't care for ales or IPA's.

Isn't that a highly hopped U.S. IPA?
No, it’s not too hoppy at all. Just perfect. The Juicy Session IPA is a really refreshing beer. I thought that the Pink Grapefruit IPA would be very hard to beat. Then I tasted the Juicy Session IPA and I was blown away. It is excellent. I’ve bought another Pink Grapefruit IPA and another Juicy Session IPA.

I suppose that depends on how you define "crazy over hopped IPA". I've got a few brews on the go in various stages and in my experience so far the Youngs American IPA knocks the spots off the rest. I wouldn't call it over hopped, but of course it is hoppy.

No, it’s not too hoppy at all. Just perfect. The Juicy Session IPA is a really refreshing beer. I thought that the Pink Grapefruit IPA would be very hard to beat. Then I tasted the Juicy Session IPA and I was blown away. It is excellent. I’ve bought another Pink Grapefruit IPA and another Juicy Session IPA.
The Pink Grapefruit IPA is the best i've made this year, so far, better than the original Elvis Juice that its cloned from. I've got the MJ American IPA (Recipe 15) on the go at the moment. Based on previous comments my next kit will be the Juicy Session IPA.acheers.

Agreed with the Youngs Saison. Best kit I've done. I bottled it in one litre size glass flip top bottles so you had to have 2 pints every time. Amazing stuff and went down very easily. I was wasted by the time the wife came home from work on a Friday.

If you're after a more traditional ale style (not overly hoppy, no tropical or grapefruits etc.) head over to LoveBrewing. They have a terrific range of premium kits. I can heartily recommend their Golden Rocket Strong Ale. It comes with 4.2ltrs of malt (from memory) and is one of the best kits I've done. Great body (as you'd expect from that amount of ingredients) really well balanced flavour. Lovely white head that laces the glass. Kinda strong at ~6%, but that's part of it's character. Leave it to condition for 4 weeks and you're onto a winner.

Back