The Biochemist’s Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Floating hydrometers that are electronic are affected by pressure, krausen and temp. I wouldn't rely on that gravity. But it has flattened off suggesting it's done. A healthy pitch will be fast, I invested in a Milwaukee refractometer and so check with a small sample taken by picnic tap when things flatten off. I always use my ispindels. Bumping the temp a good idea, I tend to do first couple of days open if I want yeast expression. Then spund just as steep slope turns flatter. If I'm hotter on ferment than I would like at the start then I build to 5 psi and turn up at end to aim for my target vols.
If I'm quick lager I go to a15 psi as starting pressure and up from there, that can be up to 35 psi depending on temp and vols needed.
You can also give it a good swirl to rouse it and see if that changes it.
I tend to hold 48 hours once flat graph.
Also any way to flatten/ smooth your graph, brewspy allows this, but not sure about Tilt. You might need tiltbridge to send to WiFi and then brewspy or other devices.

Floating hydrometers that are electronic are affected by pressure, krausen and temp. I wouldn't rely on that gravity. But it has flattened off suggesting it's done. A healthy pitch will be fast, I invested in a Milwaukee refractometer and so check with a small sample taken by picnic tap when things flatten off. I always use my ispindels. Bumping the temp a good idea, I tend to do first couple of days open if I want yeast expression. Then spund just as steep slope turns flatter. If I'm hotter on ferment than I would like at the start then I build to 5 psi and turn up at end to aim for my target vols.
If I'm quick lager I go to a15 psi as starting pressure and up from there, that can be up to 35 psi depending on temp and vols needed.
You can also give it a good swirl to rouse it and see if that changes it.
I tend to hold 48 hours once flat graph.
Also any way to flatten/ smooth your graph, brewspy allows this, but not sure about Tilt. You might need tiltbridge to send to WiFi and then brewspy or other devices.
Thanks for this. My Tilts are generally ok with pressure and temperature changes; heavy krausen can indeed cause problems though. Regarding smoothing of the data, I generally don’t like to. You get a prettier picture, but you do lose some granularity of the data.

Hydrometer read is in agreement with the tilt data, and a quick taste test definitely was more wort than beer!

Will give it a rouse, push the temperature up, and report back…

I wouldn't drop the pressure I've had yeasts bubbling furiously at 35 psi from early in ferment due to a spunding setup error on my behalf.
Some are more sensitive to pressure than others. I’ve not had any trouble with m44 in the past, but some, like the DuPont Saison strain, are famous for their pressure stalls.

Yes they are but as you weren't using this and you seem to know your stuff left that in your " you know that pile ".
You could add some yeast nutrient via the collection bottle or by a closed pressure inject thru the liquid out if you have the kit to do that. Pet bottle T piece and two of the red connectors.

Yes they are but as you weren't using this and you seem to know your stuff left that in your " you know that pile ".
You could add some yeast nutrient via the collection bottle or by a closed pressure inject thru the liquid out if you have the kit to do that. Pet bottle T piece and two of the red connectors.
Sounds like a plan - and that’s precisely the setup I use for adding finings so it’s all good to go!

Got the inkbird and heat mat set to 23C so will see if things turn around in the next 24 hours then will hit it with some DAP and vits.

I only use the DAP for wine making, have been using Murphy and Son yeast nutrient. Always at least a double dose for Kveik when I use that.
More nutrient won't harm at this stage but is a tiny infection risk.

66A4B36F-EE23-4F74-A519-5EA748FDF338.jpeg

There we go! :)

Generally one can’t! Vodka will work in a pinch though.
Hi @The Biochemist,
I hope that is certified 'Benzene free, non azeotropically distilled abs. alcohol'
you are using and referring to there.
i.e. equivalent to duty paid.
No-one wants to be consuming any more benzene than they absolutely need to (pun intended).
Spoiler alert - not all '100% alcohols' are equal.

Hi @The Biochemist,
I hope that is certified 'Benzene free, non azeotropically distilled abs. alcohol'
No-one wants to be consuming any more benzene than they absolutely need to (pun intended).
The absolute ethanol I have used in work in the past was 99.999% pure. I think for it to be absolute it has to be otherwise it would be the denatured duty free stuff.

Hi @The Biochemist,
This is molecular grade, so yes.

While I waited for the Elvis Juice to drop bright I got started on something new…

2.69*10^25 (c cubed)
NEIPA
29 L — 1.057 — IBU: 50 — SRM: 6

5.2 kg Maris Otter
1.6 kg wheat malt
1.6 kg jumbo rolled oats
200 g rice hulls
10 g phosphate buffer
4 g calcium chloride
2 g calcium sulphate

Mashed at 66C, 2.5 L/Kg, pH 5.2, 1 hr
Fly sparged at ~0.5 L/ minute
35 L collected
Sparge tricky due to grain bill. Didn’t stick, but inconsistent flow rate leading to poor efficiency.

60 minutes
50 g Magnum (first wort; old hops from the back of the cupboard so significantly reduced alpha acids)

10 minutes
25 g Cascade
25 g Chinook
25 g Comet
20 g DAP
1 x protofloc

At flameout cooled to 80C by recirculating through CF chiller

Whirlpool
25 g Cascade
25 g Chinook
25 g Comet

Dry hops split into two, first salvo at high krausen, rest after fermentation finished

50 g Cascade
50 g Chinook
50 g Comet

Chilled to 33C, 27 L transferred to Fermzilla (conical) with jacket

Surplus wort (2 L) split into 4 x 500 ml and pressure cooked for 20 minutes for future starters.

Pitched with full 11 g pack of Omega labs Lutra (no hydration step)

Fermented at ambient at 2 ba with captured CO2 used to purge cornys and fill a 50 L crusader keg for closed loop racking.

SG taken by hydrometer and refractometer, continuing data collected by Tilt.

So that was Thursday, and my god this yeast is speedy! Pressure was starting to build within two hours of pitching, and now two days in it’s pretty much done! 😁

Attachments

• B7663452-9447-4076-BCDD-AF6E04D3B32F.jpeg
    B7663452-9447-4076-BCDD-AF6E04D3B32F.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back