The Blandford Fly beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think id like to try a brew a bit like this as a xmas ale.

Im thinking old fashioned spices such as ginger & cinnamon with raisin flavours. I guess the flavours of a mince pie? A bit like a beery Stones ginger wine.

Anyone done one?

buddsy

I did something years ago simialr but I forgot what it was, I think I ended up adding loads of ground ginger.. I did try fresh ginger but it didnt extract enough so try the powered stuff

Just looked. On the internet but cannot find Brandford Fly but here’s my guess on a Ginger Pale Ale of which I found one example.
21 litres
4500g MO
1000g Munich light
500g Honey last 10 minutes
500g Root ginger 60 minutes
35g Bramling cross @ 60m
25g BC @15m
25g BC @ 90C whirlpool
CML Voss Kveik @30C

I did something years ago simialr but I forgot what it was, I think I ended up adding loads of ground ginger.. I did try fresh ginger but it didnt extract enough so try the powered stuff
My gut feeling is that Badger would take this option over fresh, it just makes practical sense on a industrial scale.

I would be tempted to find a clone recipe or kit of Golden Glory (or Champion?), brew it a little shorter to raise the abv and swap the elderflower for ginger.

Did this beer change when the name changed from Blandford Flyer Blandford Fly? My recollection was Flyer was more like an ESB, but now Fly is a golden ale.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies all very helpful.

Ive just found a David Heath vid which has the addition of cinnamon, nutmeg Star anise & ginger which also looks interesting.

buddsy

Thanks for the replies all very helpful.

Ive just found a David Heath vid which has the addition of cinnamon, nutmeg Star anise & ginger which also looks interesting.

buddsy

I wouldn’t make too much or you could be stuck with a lot of beer lol.

... Did this beer change when the name changed from Blandford Flyer Blandford Fly? My recollection was Flyer was more like an ESB, but now Fly is a golden ale.
Should be the same as quite a few years ago when it was called "... Fly". Some marketing guy decided it was more appropriate to name it after a car, but that got reversed. That's what changed, it was changed as if nothing had changed.

And nothing has changed with me either; I'm still as clear as mud.

Latest posts

Back