The blight of chewing gum on our streets.

Discussion in 'The Snug' started by Chippy_Tea, Mar 13, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 13, 2018 #1

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Administrator. Administrator

I used to chew gum when i first gave up smoking but used to spit it into the gutter or drain rather than on the pavement (if there were no litter bins around) they are now calling for manufacturers to make biodegradable gum to make it easier to clean up, wouldn't it be better to educate those that spit it on pavements rather than try to make it easier to clean once they have?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Mar 13, 2018 #2

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Regular. Supporting Member

Hi!
    Isn't it banned in Singapore?
    You can't expect the great British public to do anything as simple as use a waste bin.

terrym likes this.
  3. Mar 13, 2018 #3

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

I didn't know that Col i guess a ban would be a bit heavy handed but maybe they could put a tax on it to go towards cleaning it up.

4. Mar 13, 2018 #4

terrym

terrym

terrym

Member Supporting Member

chesters-mild likes this.
  5. Mar 13, 2018 #5

Norfolk79

Norfolk79

Norfolk79

I blame Jamie Carragher, it's all his fault.:laugh8:

6. Mar 13, 2018 #6

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered..... Supporting Member

Yeah and that Jamie Oliver with his bazooka Joe risottos!

7. Mar 13, 2018 #7

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

Regular.

Pay me £59m and I'll clean it up.

8. Mar 13, 2018 #8

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

9. Mar 13, 2018 #9

Duxuk

Duxuk

Duxuk

Regular.

The BBC mentioned today that chewing gum may be included in the proposed plastics tax since it's technically a synthetic plastic. Something like that, anyway. I wasn't really listening!
    Go to any town and try to find an area a meter square without some gum on it. You'll struggle.

10. Mar 13, 2018 #10

sdt7618

sdt7618

sdt7618

Yes it is banned in Singapore, when travelling there last year with our kids we had to be very careful and make sure they didn't have any. To be fair Singapore has a quite a struck system. But we felt very safe and every thing was clean .

11. Mar 13, 2018 #11

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

People who litter their own environment are retarded and there are plenty of them around.

12. Mar 13, 2018 #12

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Its the same with litter there are bins all over our town but the lazy sods would rather drop it where they are than carry it until they pass bin.

13. Mar 13, 2018 #13

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto Supporting Member

They used to reckon that, in Singapore if you fell out of bed whilst having sex, you would commit about ten crimes before you hit the floor!

It was probably an "over policed" society but it had some rules that I for one would readily subscribe to:
    1. If you disturb someone in your home and they are holding anything that could be used as a weapon (e.g. screwdriver) and they don't drop it the second that you see them they are liable to be charged with "Attempted Murder"!
    2. There are sensors in the corners of public lifts. If they get wet the lift stops and the doors won't open until the police arrive to test the moisture. If it's a coke or spilled water you are fined for wasting police time and if it's urine you are fined for peeing in the lift which carries a much bigger penalty.
    3. I love this one! They still cane vandals and other small time criminals. When I first heard this I thought "Ho hum! I got caned at school, so what?" but then I discovered how the caning takes place. A) The convicted person is stripped naked and tied to a trestle with backside facing the man wielding the cane. B) The man wielding the cane is a six foot policeman. C) The cane is a six foot long 1" diameter bamboo cane. D) The man wielding the cane is allowed a "run up" before administering the blow. E) After each blow of the cane the convicted person (now "the patient") is taken to hospital, checked and certified as being fit to take further punishment by a doctor and allowed to recover for 24 hours. F) The next blow of the cane is then administered. Sections D) to F) above are repeated until the punishment is completed.
    I had hysterics laughing when an American youth had been caught vandalising a Mercedes car in Singapore. I saw photographs of the lads handiwork and thought "I wish it was me wielding that cane!" :thumb:

14. Mar 13, 2018 #14

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto Supporting Member

That kid obviously didn't have a mother like mine!

Every kid at some time in their lives thinks that spitting at someone is a good idea. This usually happens when the child is angry and does it as an expression of their anger and their own frustration.

I well remember doing it once as a kid, Unfortunately for me, the one time I did it was in the presence of my Mum and the only way I can describe the moment is that I seriously expected to see my own head rolling along the floor!

Somebody should have thumped that Jamie Carragher when he was younger. I reckon that it's never too late to teach someone good manners, so I can only hope that one day Mr. Carragher will get his comeuppance; and someone films it for our amusement!

15. Mar 14, 2018 #15

BarnBrian

BarnBrian

BarnBrian

Junior Member Supporting Member

I didn't realise I'd committed so many crimes in Singapore, especially after a visit to Orchard Towers.:thumb1:

Dutto likes this.