The brew got cold.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonetti

Reaction score
HI.
Just went to check up on my latest brew and someone had switched the heater off!! The temperature dropped to 9'C. Is it all wasted or shall I reheat it and hope it's still ok?

Reheat it, take a gravity reading at 18degrees or thereabouts so you know where it's at now and take it from there. Hopefully will finish off once warmed up.

HI.
Just went to check up on my latest brew and someone had switched the heater off!! The temperature dropped to 9'C. Is it all wasted or shall I reheat it and hope it's still ok?
Why not just turn the heater again on and find out? Simple.
The yeast should just have gone to sleep
Slowly get it back up to temperature, give it a gentle rousing and it should be alright.
The only time you might struggle to get it going again is if it was nearing completion.

Thanks for your messages. I am reheating it now. Looks like the yeast is waking up. Cheers

Don't worry! :hat:

Brews are resilient beasts and the yeast will wake up and do its stuff when it gets to the right temperature.

Personally, I would calculate the "two weeks fermenting period" by just leaving out the time I think it may have stopped being heated. This will obviously be over the "two weeks" but leaving a brew for more than a couple of weeks won't do it any harm.

Relax and enjoy the brew. It may turn out to be the best one yet! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back