Quantcast

The Chaos that is a Buffers Brewery brew day

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Buffers brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fermentation finished a week ago. FG 1.014 brings it in at just over the 6% ABV mark. Cold crashed with the fridge set at 4C for a week then transferred to my King Keg. Made a priming solution with 5 ounces of sugar in one and a half pints of hop tea made with 30 grams of Cascade hops, in a hop bag, steeped in water at 75C for 30 minutes. Purged the barrel head space with CO2 before tightening the lid down and giving it a 5 p.s.i. shot of CO2 before returning it to the fridge set at 20C. Two days in and no signs of life from the yeasty beasties so just leaving it alone.

DocAnna

Scottish Brewster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fermentation finished a week ago. FG 1.014 brings it in at just over the 6% ABV mark. Cold crashed with the fridge set at 4C for a week then transferred to my King Keg. Made a priming solution with 5 ounces of sugar in one and a half pints of hop tea made with 30 grams of Cascade hops, in a hop bag, steeped in water at 75C for 30 minutes. Purged the barrel head space with CO2 before tightening the lid down and giving it a 5 p.s.i. shot of CO2 before returning it to the fridge set at 20C. Two days in and no signs of life from the yeasty beasties so just leaving it alone.
It's probably just my inexperience but I've never read before about adding the hops as a hop tea at the priming stage - it makes so much sense though. Do you get about the same flavouring as dry hopping, or does the heating to make the tea alter it to provide extra bitterness by using hops at this stage?

Anna

Buffers brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably just my inexperience but I've never read before about adding the hops as a hop tea at the priming stage - it makes so much sense though. Do you get about the same flavouring as dry hopping, or does the heating to make the tea alter it to provide extra bitterness by using hops at this stage?

Anna
Hi Anna. It’s my first time ashock1.....at hop tea that is. I’ve tried dry hopping a couple of times but didn’t like the results (probably me). So thought I’d give the tea a try. Will add to this post the outcome, good or bad, in about 4 weeks.

FYI

Buffers brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI. So, I noticed I had a thick layer of trub at the bottom of my FV when fermentation had finished and rather than cold crash and transfer as I usually do, I transferred to a second FV, leaving the majority of the trub behind, then cold crashed for a week before transferring to my King Keg (detail I missed out in previous post #22). The reason for this post is, it’s taken a week for carbonation to start as indicated by a slight increase in barrel pressure!

Last edited:

Buffers brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carbonation complete and three weeks of conditioning nicely coincides with the completion of my Barrelator.

Screenshot_20201020-115043.png

The first pour looked good and tasted thumb.
Next brew, planned for later this week is an Abbey beer. Hope to have my CO2 capture rig up and running by then.

Buffers brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, this was my first attempt at a hop tea brew. Have to say it’s turned out better than my dry hop attempts in the past. Difficult to say how much difference it’s made. I guess I’ll have to repeat it without the hop tea.

Spratt

Reaction score
Carbonation complete and three weeks of conditioning nicely coincides with the completion of my Barrelator.

View attachment 34375
Next brew, planned for later this week is an Abbey beer. Hope to have my CO2 capture rig up and running by then.

View attachment 34375

Looks a lovely drop - and a very nice tidy set up

Buffers brewery

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mashing/Sparging Abbey beer recipe today.

4kg pale malt
0.9 kg Vienna malt
0.4 kg Biscuit malt
Pearle 30 grms for 60 minutes
Stryrian Golding 20 grms for 5 minutes
Wyeast Belgian Abbey style Ale yeast

Last edited:

Spratt

Reaction score
Mashing/Sparging Abbey beer recipe today.

4kg pale malt
0.9 kg Vienna malt
0.4 kg Biscuit malt
Pearle 30 grms for 60 minutes
Stryrian Golding 20 grms for 5 minutes
Wyeast Belgian Abbey style Ale yeast
I love it. Though it makes my BIAB look positively stone age.