The cold war.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The olds will remember it and they are discussing it now, as Mrs May and Donald have decided it was the Russians behind the poisoning are we about to head into another cold war, the "experts" are saying it's likely.

The thought of Trump and Putin having a finger on the big red button is very worrying.

Trumps political success seems criminally tied to Russia/Putin and he also has significant financial ties (oil and gas) to Russia;Putin ...seems a convenient distraction now North Korea have cooled their heels...

...oh and the Tory party has received over £800k (iirc) from Russian donors ...it all stinks....

With us already being in a proxy war with Russia in Syria, also in an economic war with Russia and Israel and Iran close to conflict I think we could be closer to a hot war than we were in the cold war.

The thought of Trump and Putin having a finger on the big red button is very worrying.

It's nice to see that the UK "understatement" is still alive and well; especially the "very" bit to show a casual reader that this is a serious comment. :wave:

"Very worrying"? I hope that I'm in France when the two of them start proving who's got the most nuclear weapons. I'll still die a horrible death of course, but at €2.10 a litre for a decent Merlot, at least I should go happy! :thumb:

I grew up being told we could be nuked at any moment but we are still here. Never trust a politician and have a beer. Cheers.

In October 1962 I walked into the Police Station to go on duty and the "Four Minute Warning Machine" which was normally silent, had been switched on and was giving out a monotonous "Bleep!" every few seconds. What was to become known as "The Cuban Missile Crisis" was underway and apparently we were very near to nuclear war for about a week.

Two thoughts ran through my mind at the time:

"Albert Einstein said 'I don't know how World War Three will be fought but World War Four will be fought with sticks!'

quickly followed by

"If that alarm starts to emit a continuous signal I'm going home!"​

The reason for the second thought was that as a Policeman I was supposed to hop on my bike and cycle around the town with a large Rattle (specially kept for the occasion) in order to warn the general public to take cover.

It didn't happen, but it was a very close call and the men in charge of the "Red Button" were relatively sane when compared to Trump and Putin! :wave:

In October 1962 I walked into the Police Station to go on duty and the "Four Minute Warning Machine" which was normally silent, had been switched on and was giving out a monotonous "Bleep!" every few seconds. What was to become known as "The Cuban Missile Crisis" was underway and apparently we were very near to nuclear war for about a week.

Two thoughts ran through my mind at the time:

"Albert Einstein said 'I don't know how World War Three will be fought but World War Four will be fought with sticks!'

quickly followed by

"If that alarm starts to emit a continuous signal I'm going home!"​

The reason for the second thought was that as a Policeman I was supposed to hop on my bike and cycle around the town with a large Rattle (specially kept for the occasion) in order to warn the general public to take cover.

It didn't happen, but it was a very close call and the men in charge of the "Red Button" were relatively sane when compared to Trump and Putin! :wave:

Do you just make these things up? This is the 80th job this week that you have mentioned in a post

Do you just make these things up? This is the 80th job this week that you have mentioned in a post

I'm sorry if it disturbs you but I don't have a CV readily available. TBH, towards the end of my working life I didn't need to submit a CV as most of the companies that were likely to employ me already knew my history, so here's a brief breakdown for your delectation:
  1. Still at school:
    • Waiter (parent's Boarding House), Bingo Caller (Skegness Pier), Fairground Worker (Butlins Skegness).
  2. Sailor (Ellerman Wilson Line Hull - Cadet - met a lady that I liked and resigned)
  3. Policeman (Lincolnshire County Constabulary - resigned after discovering how much lorry drivers made)
  4. Lorry Driver (Barrick's of Goxhill - left when contract finished)
  5. Sales Rep (on commission earned less than I needed so went back to sea)
  6. Sailor (various on Grimsby Pool - Efficient Deck Hand)
  7. Labourer (Anglian Riverboard - Scything Grass on banks of River Ancholme)
  8. Plumber's Mate (Local Plumber - left in a huff after he accused me of screwing his wife and I wasn't)
  9. Tank Farm Operator (Petrofina - offered the job after failing the lorry driver's test - left when made redundant)
  10. Refinery Operator (Conoco -promoted to Senior Operator)
  11. Gas Plant Supervisor (Conoco UK - promoted again - left when seconded to Iran)
  12. Commissioning Supervisor (OSCO Iran - left due to revolution)
  13. Gas Plant Trainer (ARAMCO Saudi Arabia - left as it was truly a **** company)
  14. Commissioning Manager (Foster Wheeler Italiana - Riyadh Refinery Water Treatment Plant - left when job done)
  15. One year "Sabbatical" at Bucks College of HE to get a Diploma in Management Studies and a C.Dip.A.F)
  16. Trainer (Shell Mossnorran Gas Plant - left when job finished)
  17. Management Consultant (PA Management) Various projects in Aberdeen, UK Offshore, Singapore and Indonesia.
  18. Self Employed Management Consultant working for:
    • T.M. Services (Various clients)
    • BP (Onshore Training & Emergency Response - Poole, Tain and Miller Oilfield)
    • Exxon/Mobil (Emergency Response - Beryl Oil Field and Sage Gas Plant)
    • British Gas (Emergency Response and Operating Procedures Morecambe Bay Gas Field)
    • Shell (Emergency Response and Operating Procedures)
    • Occidental Oil (Emergency Response Procedures - Claymore Field)
    • Amerada Hess (Emergency Response Procedures - AH001 Installation)
    • Sun Oil (Operations Training)
    • Hamilton Bros (Operations Training)
    • Murphy Oil (Emergency Response)
    • Total Nigeria (Operations Training)
    • Emerald Oil (Turkmenistan Emergency Response)
    • Asamera Oil (Operations Training in Ukraine)
  19. Self Employed Health, Safety and Environmental Manager for:
    • EGIS (Aberdeen)
    • Hardy Oil and Gas (PY3 Oil Field India)
    • Emerald Oil (Turkmenistan)
  20. RETIRED - 2003, spent eight years living on a boat on the French, Belgian and Dutch canals then moved on to spending half the year in either a motorhome or caravan wandering around America and Europe.
Obviously, with my memory failing, I have forgotten a load of the smaller contracts and travels but back in 2009 I filled in a questionnaire on "Friends Reunited" when it was operating and discovered that I had either worked in, holidayed in or visited for three days or more 24% of the countries on this planet!

A lot of people my age seem to have had just one years experience 75 times; I like to think that I have had 75 years of experience! :thumb1:

I'm sorry if it disturbs you but I don't have a CV readily available. TBH, towards the end of my working life I didn't need to submit a CV as most of the companies that were likely to employ me already knew my history, so here's a brief breakdown for your delectation:
  1. Still at school:
    • Waiter (parent's Boarding House), Bingo Caller (Skegness Pier), Fairground Worker (Butlins Skegness).
  2. Sailor (Ellerman Wilson Line Hull - Cadet - met a lady that I liked and resigned)
  3. Policeman (Lincolnshire County Constabulary - resigned after discovering how much lorry drivers made)
  4. Lorry Driver (Barrick's of Goxhill - left when contract finished)
  5. Sales Rep (on commission earned less than I needed so went back to sea)
  6. Sailor (various on Grimsby Pool - Efficient Deck Hand)
  7. Labourer (Anglian Riverboard - Scything Grass on banks of River Ancholme)
  8. Plumber's Mate (Local Plumber - left in a huff after he accused me of screwing his wife and I wasn't)
  9. Tank Farm Operator (Petrofina - offered the job after failing the lorry driver's test - left when made redundant)
  10. Refinery Operator (Conoco -promoted to Senior Operator)
  11. Gas Plant Supervisor (Conoco UK - promoted again - left when seconded to Iran)
  12. Commissioning Supervisor (OSCO Iran - left due to revolution)
  13. Gas Plant Trainer (ARAMCO Saudi Arabia - left as it was truly a **** company)
  14. Commissioning Manager (Foster Wheeler Italiana - Riyadh Refinery Water Treatment Plant - left when job done)
  15. One year "Sabbatical" at Bucks College of HE to get a Diploma in Management Studies and a C.Dip.A.F)
  16. Trainer (Shell Mossnorran Gas Plant - left when job finished)
  17. Management Consultant (PA Management) Various projects in Aberdeen, UK Offshore, Singapore and Indonesia.
  18. Self Employed Management Consultant working for:
    • T.M. Services (Various clients)
    • BP (Onshore Training & Emergency Response - Poole, Tain and Miller Oilfield)
    • Exxon/Mobil (Emergency Response - Beryl Oil Field and Sage Gas Plant)
    • British Gas (Emergency Response and Operating Procedures Morecambe Bay Gas Field)
    • Shell (Emergency Response and Operating Procedures)
    • Occidental Oil (Emergency Response Procedures - Claymore Field)
    • Amerada Hess (Emergency Response Procedures - AH001 Installation)
    • Sun Oil (Operations Training)
    • Hamilton Bros (Operations Training)
    • Murphy Oil (Emergency Response)
    • Total Nigeria (Operations Training)
    • Emerald Oil (Turkmenistan Emergency Response)
    • Asamera Oil (Operations Training in Ukraine)
  19. Self Employed Health, Safety and Environmental Manager for:
    • EGIS (Aberdeen)
    • Hardy Oil and Gas (PY3 Oil Field India)
    • Emerald Oil (Turkmenistan)
  20. RETIRED - 2003, spent eight years living on a boat on the French, Belgian and Dutch canals then moved on to spending half the year in either a motorhome or caravan wandering around America and Europe.
Obviously, with my memory failing, I have forgotten a load of the smaller contracts and travels but back in 2009 I filled in a questionnaire on "Friends Reunited" when it was operating and discovered that I had either worked in, holidayed in or visited for three days or more 24% of the countries on this planet!

A lot of people my age seem to have had just one years experience 75 times; I like to think that I have had 75 years of experience! :thumb1:
There isn't much in life that disturbs me but thanks for the employment breakdown

:wave:
Good old British policing. Hasn't changed much over the years then?

Imagine Dutto hastily biking along to arrest someone for saying something nasty.

It wasn't all "Lock 'em up and throw away the key!"

I was the only policeman on duty at 2am in the morning, had just finished my supper and was off out on patrol. As I switched the lights off and shut the door of the Police Station, a coach pulled up and stopped alongside the long wall at the side of the road.

I wandered round to the door of the bus, took out my pocket-book and as the men tried to get back on to the bus I asked all fifteen of them for their "Name, Age, Occupation and Address" and told them they would be reported for "Urinating in the street".

The bus departed and I carried on with my patrol knowing that:
  1. I hadn't written anything down.
  2. All fifteen blokes would be expecting something from the postman for at least a month.
  3. None of them would pee up against the wall of a Police Station ever again!
If my superiors had ever found out the least I could have expected was a horrendous rollocking; but luckily they didn't!

Happy Days! :thumb:

It wasn't all "Lock 'em up and throw away the key!"

I was the only policeman on duty at 2am in the morning, had just finished my supper and was off out on patrol. As I switched the lights off and shut the door of the Police Station, a coach pulled up and stopped alongside the long wall at the side of the road.

I wandered round to the door of the bus, took out my pocket-book and as the men tried to get back on to the bus I asked all fifteen of them for their "Name, Age, Occupation and Address" and told them they would be reported for "Urinating in the street".

The bus departed and I carried on with my patrol knowing that:
  1. I hadn't written anything down.
  2. All fifteen blokes would be expecting something from the postman for at least a month.
  3. None of them would pee up against the wall of a Police Station ever again!
If my superiors had ever found out the least I could have expected was a horrendous rollocking; but luckily they didn't!

Happy Days! :thumb:

Hilarious.I think you should start a youtube channel and talk about your life/interests and random stuff. I would sub. :)

Latest posts

Back