The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the days when I worked for a living, I asked a Senior Consultant where his data had originated from for some Quantitative Risk Assessment figures.

I will never forget his rather superior reply, because he looked at me as if I was something that he had picked up on the sole of his shoe!

"They are all Monte Carlo Numbers." he said and moved on with his presentation.

I thought about this comment, decided he was trying it on and persisted in my questions. In the end I got the total ****** to admit that he hadn't a fecking clue what the Risks associated with the venture were; despite the Company paying £1,000's for his words of wisdom.

I soon discovered that, when making predictions, lots of Management Consultants use "Monte Carlo Numbers" whereby they just pull numbers out of the air and see what they look like. In the USA I think they say "Let's run it up the flagpole and see who salutes it!" to get a similar result!

It's always a "Best Guess" prediction, totally dependent on whoever is making the guess!

Personally, I reckon that we would be better relying on Granny's bit of seaweed to predict the weather!

Apparently not - they're doing random tests on samples from doctors surgeries and other places where people show cold/flu symptoms and so far they're proving negative.
What I was getting at is, if a doctor just thought he had a mild cold, the rest of us plebs could be walking around thinking the same thing. No one goes to the doctors with a cold, so we wouldn't be checked, therefor spreading the virus.

Its a bit like the floods people moaning Boris is invisible, if he turned up he wouldn't have a magic wand and the floods would still be there, its all about tell the people what they want to hear and by that I don't mean its not serious it is, but when dealing with a country of 60 million its hard so you make the right noises and ride it out

What I was getting at is, if a doctor just thought he had a mild cold, the rest of us plebs could be walking around thinking the same thing. No one goes to the doctors with a cold, so we wouldn't be checked, therefor spreading the virus.

There is a bloke on 5live now who had the virus saying he had a very high fever and a dry cough that lasted weeks but no other cold/flu like symptoms people will carry on as normal until they feel really ill and by then they have already infected others.

There is a bloke on 5live now who had the virus saying he had a very high fever and a dry cough that lasted weeks but no other cold/flu like symptoms people will carry on as normal until they feel really ill and by then they have already infected others.
But as has been reported some people are just getting mild cold symptoms, and that is all. One of the Aussies on board the ship that was moored off Japan says he had no symptoms whatsoever, while his wife was as sick as a dog. Yet they both tested positive!

But as has been reported some people are just getting mild cold symptoms, and that is all. One of the Aussies on board the ship that was moored off Japan says he had no symptoms whatsoever, while his wife was as sick as a dog. Yet they both tested positive!

This is the problem yet they are still letting big events carry on here instead of trying to minimise the spread.
We will end up like Italy because they have t got the balls to take proper action now.

This is the problem yet they are still letting big events carry on here instead of trying to minimise the spread.
We will end up like Italy because they have t got the balls to take proper action now.
The Italian Ferrari team has turned up for the Grand Prix, no sooner had they landed than the government banned any Italians landing in Australia. Funny that.

Or people couldn't afford to check for corona, so just walk it off like it's flu. Especially when it's very hard or costly to take up sick days.

Or people couldn't afford to check for corona, so just walk it off like it's flu. Especially when it's very hard or costly to take up sick days.
I think it is free to be checked for the virus, a good idea they are doing over here is a drive through check point. Just like a drive through bottle shop or McDonalds, drive though, get swabbed and drive out. Its those without symptoms which are the headache.

Everyone with a dry cough or tight chest should check their temperature; if it's up phone for advice. (111, or your GP in Scotland)

IMG-20200310-WA0004.jpg

They are discussing putting ourselves into self isolation (on 5live) which is sensible advice but in reality how would you do it, three of us live in a 2 up 2 down so we have no spare room and we only have one bathroom, they are saying keep two meters away from each other how do you do that in a double bed?

They are discussing putting ourselves into self isolation (on 5live) which is sensible advice but in reality how would you do it, three of us live in a 2 up 2 down so we have no spare room and we only have one bathroom, they are saying keep two meters away from each other how do you do that in a double bed?
Buy an airbed and sleep on the floor?

I reckon it's all pretty pointless if they won't close the schools - which I doubt they will do until it is too late given the financial impact. Schools and hospitals is where this thing is going to proliferate.

Latest posts

Back