The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst the virus
The deaths don't seem to be going down, and in London at least (- there was a massive protest in hyde park with reportedly thousands of people attending and from what ive seem myself) the lockdown is effectively over. From what I've read the 359 from yesterday is more deaths than EU27 combined.
What do you expect? Deaths will continue. The virus is still out there . It hasn't gone away. The best you can hope for is that people have the personal discipline and self responsibility to keep within the boundaries they have been allowed by the authorities as freedoms are reinstated. But since the average Brit is demonstrating how they will deal with that, don't expect too much.

I think the worst hit areas are in the north

Barrow-in-Furness (8 miles from where i live) was the worst for infections for a while -

The remote Cumbrian town with the UK's highest Covid-19 infection rate
Barrow-in-Furness has fewer visitors than the nearby Lake District, yet has one of the worst death rates outside London

It is one of the remotest towns in England, situated on a windy peninsula a 45-minute drive from the nearest motorway and receives a fraction of the visitors of the nearby Lake District. Yet Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria has the highest coronavirus infection rate in the UK.

According to the latest government figures, 552 people in Barrow have so far been infected with Covid-19, a rate of 882.2 for every 100,000 people. To put that into context, the English average is 244.5 for every 100,000; Scotland’s is 250.6; Wales’ is 365.4 and Northern Ireland’s 220.5.

Sixty-one Barrovians had died from Covid-19 by 1 May, including Simon Guest, a much-loved radiographer at Furness general hospital. It is a lot in a town of 67,000 people, giving it a death rate of 91 for every 100,000, one of the worst outside of London.

“It is a big worry, especially with the lockdown being released on Wednesday,” said Lee Roberts, deputy leader of Barrow borough council, who complains he has not seen any data analysis looking into the figures.

The first person to die from Covid-19 in Barrow attended a house party in the town where at least five other people were infected, according to one expert familiar with the local infection pattern. The party took place before lockdown on 23 March and there is no suggestion the host or any guests were being reckless.

Quite how everyone else in Barrow got infected is not yet clear, according to Colin Cox, the director of public health for Cumbria. He said the high infection rate could in part be explained by the fact more people in Barrow have been tested than in other places.

“The rate of testing in Barrow has been two to three times higher than in many other parts of the north-west, so that will explain a fair chunk of it, but I don’t think it will explain all of it,” said Cox.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...est-covid-19-infection-rate-barrow-in-furness

Whilst the virus

What do you expect? Deaths will continue. The virus is still out there . It hasn't gone away. The best you can hope for is that people have the personal discipline and self responsibility to keep within the boundaries they have been allowed by the authorities as freedoms are reinstated. But since the average Brit is demonstrating how they will deal with that, don't expect too much.

I would have hoped they would slowly be going down but they just seem to be continuing at a steady rate

Barrow-in-Furness (8 miles from where i live) was the worst for infections for a while -

The remote Cumbrian town with the UK's highest Covid-19 infection rate
Barrow-in-Furness has fewer visitors than the nearby Lake District, yet has one of the worst death rates outside London

It is one of the remotest towns in England, situated on a windy peninsula a 45-minute drive from the nearest motorway and receives a fraction of the visitors of the nearby Lake District. Yet Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria has the highest coronavirus infection rate in the UK.

According to the latest government figures, 552 people in Barrow have so far been infected with Covid-19, a rate of 882.2 for every 100,000 people. To put that into context, the English average is 244.5 for every 100,000; Scotland’s is 250.6; Wales’ is 365.4 and Northern Ireland’s 220.5.

Sixty-one Barrovians had died from Covid-19 by 1 May, including Simon Guest, a much-loved radiographer at Furness general hospital. It is a lot in a town of 67,000 people, giving it a death rate of 91 for every 100,000, one of the worst outside of London.

“It is a big worry, especially with the lockdown being released on Wednesday,” said Lee Roberts, deputy leader of Barrow borough council, who complains he has not seen any data analysis looking into the figures.

The first person to die from Covid-19 in Barrow attended a house party in the town where at least five other people were infected, according to one expert familiar with the local infection pattern. The party took place before lockdown on 23 March and there is no suggestion the host or any guests were being reckless.

Quite how everyone else in Barrow got infected is not yet clear, according to Colin Cox, the director of public health for Cumbria. He said the high infection rate could in part be explained by the fact more people in Barrow have been tested than in other places.

“The rate of testing in Barrow has been two to three times higher than in many other parts of the north-west, so that will explain a fair chunk of it, but I don’t think it will explain all of it,” said Cox.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...est-covid-19-infection-rate-barrow-in-furness

I found a map of infections/cases around the UK. I couldn't find one re:deaths

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...he-latest-deaths-and-confirmed-cases-near-you

Don't forget the 359 figure includes some of the backlog of reporting from care homes which goes back to March in some cases, we may already be under 100 deaths/day in England by now, it just takes a while for the data to come in.

Generally London is leading the way out of this as it led the way into it, so it's some weeks ahead of the rest of the country. Hence the talk of r <0.5 in London even when it's closer to 1.0 in some other parts of the country.

I wonder what the breakdown is, are most in the capital?

The regional death splits for England are available in the gov.uk spreadsheets. If you take last Thursday as the most recent "reliable" data :
NHS England Region
28-May-20​
England
111​
East Of England17
London6
Midlands25
North East And Yorkshire18
North West26
South East11
South West8

1591212429858.png

If I may point out that Bjorn Toulouse appears to live in Scotland and so he would be flouting lockdown rules if Sexy Sarah lives more than 5 miles from his house.

Furthermore he is allowed to shag up to 8 people in anyone day, but half of them have to be from his own household.

If he didn’t have his >2m Strapon to hand he could also reduce his risk of catching COVID 19 from Sarah by performing his act from behind. That way he could hold her head and stop her from coughing or sneezing on him. However, after the event he would have to wash his hands for at least 20 seconds.

According to the Financial Times, if the UK recorded deaths in the same way as Spain, yesterday's UK total would have been...... 20.

A couple of people have said we cannot compare our figures to other countries and that we shouldn't nice to see the proof.

More on hydroxychloroquine from a study based in Paris "The overall survival rate at day 21 was 89% in the [hydroxychloroquine] treatment group and 91% in the [group without hydroxychloroquine]". So yes, lots of people treated with hydroxychloroquine get better - but that's because they're also being given oxygen etc and not because of the hydroxychloroquine. Would you rather be in the group with 9% death rate or 11% death rate?

Also 10% of the hydroxychloroquine group had to stop treatment with hydroxychloroquine because of heart flutters.

More on hydroxychloroquine :
Boulware et al in NEJM : randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial (ie gold-standard) of 821 aymptomatic patients treated within 4 days of exposure with 800mg then 5 days of 600mg hydroxychloroquine . 11.8% of HCQ patients and 14.3% of placebo patients had Covid-19 within 14 days - not statistically significant. HCQ had more side-effects, but "no serious adverse reactions ". A quarter of the HCQ patients had zinc with it and that didn't make any difference either.

On the other hand, HCQ may not be quite as dangerous as first thought, there's a questions have been raised over some of the data that came from a company called Surgisphere that led to the suspension of many trials. There's plenty of other evidence that it's pretty bad for you, just not quite as bad as this data suggested. But that's OK, that's how science works - the ability to change a view in response to new information is what distinguishes it from dogma.

And we're getting more of a handle on how the virus attacks - from nose to lower intestines (which is a bit worrying wrt sewage).

In particular, there's a story emerging that the second phase of the attack - the one that puts you into intensive care - is connected to an attack on the lining of blood vessels. This is promising, as it points to various vascular drugs that could be useful in keeping people out of intensive care, possibly even statins might help.

There's also progress on working out why men get hit so much harder. One of the proteins on the human cell surface that helps the virus get in is the product of the TMPRSS2 gene, which is well known for its involvement in prostate cancer and which - in the prostate at least - is upregulated by male hormones. We don't know if that's true in the lungs but there's circumstantial evidence in the fact that men with male-pattern baldness (a sign of high testosterone levels) are dramatically more likely to end up in hospital with Covid-19, whereas men with prostate cancer taking anti-testosterone drugs to reduce their TMPRSS2 levels, seem to be much more resistant to it.

So if you're a man over 50 and have enough testosterone that you act like a hormonal teenager around women despite some hairloss and a paunch - then you're at very high risk.

1591280376740.png

Last edited:
Also, I've driven from Lincolnshire to Carlisle today for unavoidable work, and the M180 was busy but 95%+ seemed to be HGV / LGV traffic (from the various ports perhaps?) and the M62/A1M/A66 were well quite. So, anecdotally, I would say people are still obeying the rules.

From today's briefing

"Shapps says a £50 fix your bike voucher will be introduced, to encourage more people to start using bikes."
F

Wonder if I can still have 50 quid if I know how to do all the maintenance on my bike myself? 🤑

A couple of people have said we cannot compare our figures to other countries and that we shouldn't nice to see the proof.
No you shouldn't, I think it was Spain but can't be sure decided to not include 12k deaths on their total but it was weeks ago.

Russia put pneumonia down as a death instead of covid. All things like that mean you cannot compare like for like. Not that it's a competition anyway as these are poor souls .

Either way the scale is not linear.

No you shouldn't, I think it was Spain but can't be sure decided to not include 12k deaths on their total but it was weeks ago.

Russia put pneumonia down as a death instead of covid. All things like that mean you cannot compare like for like. Not that it's a competition anyway as these are poor souls .

Either way the scale is not linear.
Indeed. It was in the Times today that Italy's excess deaths this year are 19,000 higher than their reported CV19 figures can account for.

Indeed. It was in the Times today that Italy's excess deaths this year are 19,000 higher than their reported CV19 figures can account for.
Financial Times has free access to their Covid-19 charts and articles. They have excess deaths for many countries. UK has nearly 60,000 deaths in excess of the normal rate. This is 65% more than before Covid-19.

Italy has nearly 47,000 excess deaths which is 47% more than before Covid-19.

So we are doing worse than them!

https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f8-11ea-aeb3-955839e06441

Back