The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is and is going to be much more serious than most realise, China's new cases have only peaked due to near total forced isolation but rather than try to explain in my non expert and not being even knowledgeable about it I suggest his utube channel as a good way to stay up to date https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching/videos he does videos about twice a day some about the in depth science which is unimportant but some very important analysis of numbers. Note the latest video (at time of posting this) seems already out of date on numbers as things are moving quickly,

Despite giving assurances that the toilet paper demand can be met by manufacturers here this happens.

Can't get sugar now, rice, pasta, sugar, flour all made here but people still panic buying.

Was in ASDA yesterday and the shop was stripped of liquid soap. Toilet paper was very low, but absolutely everything elese I could see was at normal stock levels. Do people think they're going to live on bog roll and hand wash or something?

Despite giving assurances that the toilet paper demand can be met by manufacturers here this happens.

Can't get sugar now, rice, pasta, sugar, flour all made here but people still panic buying.

I noticed earlier in the week Coles were out of rice, but Woolworths had loads.
I put that down to the fact Coles had the 5kg bags half price this week.
We usually buy food when it on special, so tend to have a little stock pile anyhow..
The only problem this week was we were down to our last bog roll. Missus got a packet of 12 though.
When I picked up some stuff yesterday the shelves seemed pretty well stocked except toilet paper.

I work for a pathology company, so hand wash isn't a problem. We have heaps..... at the moment.
We were given an info sheet yesterday. Wash your hands a lot.
Don't touch your face, without washing your hands. Don't go around shaking hands. Avoid contact. Stand 1.5 metres apart.
Face masks aren't much good. I think that bit was a hint to the couriers in Sydney.
I've seen a few of the Asian guys wearing masks.

I've noticed in the last few days the notices on GP's surgery doors has changed.
They used to say alert our staff if you've been to China within the last 14 days, and a few other things.
Now the new notices say if you are experiences these symptoms don't come in.
Go to hospital.

Coles and Woolworths are our two major supermarkets here in Australia.
Every week they have catalogues out with special buys.
Half price baked beans or half prices pasta sauce to entice you in.

Last edited:
Cases have doubled in Ireland.
First community case reported (the person had not travelled from an infected country like previous cases).

One of my colleagues, her son has Cystic Fibrosis and is quite worried for him.

There's serious talk here of cancellation of Patrick's Day parades.

I wouldn't be worried about myself, but I have a sick mother, a wife with asthma and I have a 6 month daughter at home.

Good luck mate.
Last week they were telling us that under 16's were rarely catching it.
Then this week in Adelaide a 4 month old baby and the mother were in hospital having come back from Iran.

I'm not too worried for me personally. Even having to go around picking up pathology specimens and visiting heaps of GP's surgery's. I don't live in a major city either.

More worried about the stock market and my pension to be honest.

My guess is that the ultra-cheapo dilute bleach solution that quite a few people around here use for sanitising containers would do just fine as a hand sanitiser so long as you dedicate a single towel that's not used for anything else for drying your hands with afterwards.

My guess is that the ultra-cheapo dilute bleach solution that quite a few people around here use for sanitising containers would do just fine as a hand sanitiser so long as you dedicate a single towel that's not used for anything else for drying your hands with afterwards.

Our pathology collection centres dilute bleach to 12% for wiping down surfaces.
I've never asked but I presume someone who knows has come up with that %.
I'll ask next week.

Last edited:
Our pathology collection centres dilute bleach to 12% for wiping down surfaces.
I've never asked but I presume someone who knows has come up with that %.
I'll ask next week.
Can you check what percent sodium hyphochlorite is in your bleach to begin with? Over here the cheap stuff can be less than 1%, the good stuff is around 4.5%.

Fist and foot bumping. aheadbutt

FFS this is getting ridiculous just say hello you don't need to touch each other no one will be offended.

The cheap shop in town sells this roll for £1 we use it instead of kitchen towel as its much cheaper and the rolls much bigger, i am sure i could blow my nose on it if panic buying toilet roll becomes commonplace.

blue-roll-industrial-2ply-x-2-c39.jpg

I think there would be more of a panic situation if the country announced they have run out of toilet roll. ashock1
images

Commercial bleach (sodium hypochlorite) is sold at 12 - 15% but household bleach is much weaker for safety.

Fist and foot bumping. aheadbutt

FFS this is getting ridiculous just say hello you don't need to touch each other no one will be offended.

I was telling someone in work the other day that when I lived in Bristol pre 1990 handshakes were not really a done thing.
We just used to acknowledge one another with a nod of the head and sort of grunt " all right" which came out more like " 'right".

Am I imagining it or has hand shaking when you meet someone become more common.
I have a couple of friends (not the veggie) from Bristol here who if I haven't seen for a while we will handshake.
However when I see them more often it's just the "Bristol Nod".

I think there would be more of a panic situation if the country announced they have run out of toilet roll. ashock1
images
Way back in the 70s during the first oil shortage/crisis Johnny Carson joked on the tonight show about t p being the next thing we'd have shortages of and it created a run on t p.

Er .... does no-one else remember the last time we were not in the EU?

Back then, we didn't need a "Pandemic" to run out of toilet paper! We were self-sufficient as a nation back in those days; and all we needed was government incompetence!

The wealthy people resorted to using "Tissues" and within days the local sewage works were blocked because the tissues weren't as friable as toilet paper!

The rest of us finally found a use for the Daily Mail and Express! athumb.. athumb..

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/lifestyle/denis-kilcommons-memories-1970s-shortages-4959964

BTW, on Facebook today I saw a warning about recent toilet roll imports from China.

Apparently, the cardboard tubes in the centre of toilet rolls are imported already infected with the Coronavirus from China; and anyone who has recently bought toilet paper in bulk is therefore being encouraged to rub Deep Heat around their nether regions in order to reduce the chance of infection.

Last edited:
The NT news here in Australia which prints some outlandish stories ran an 8 page special in the week.

It does make me wonder how the sewage system is going to cope or not with the assorted things put down toilets in the next few weeks.
tp.jpg

Latest posts

Back