The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I should also have said is that regular handwashing with soap and water (watch a video on youtube for antt technique re handwashing) is more effective.

Would Starsan do as a hand sanitizer? I still have a nearly full bottle and my local supermarket as no hand sanitizer at all. Just a thought. I am over 80 so at risk.
better days
Don't use acid, if you have got some rubbing alcohol or ethyl super kill from your local HBS mix 70% alcohol with 30% Aloe vera after sun. Or good old soap and water as pilgrim stated.
Tips of my fingers are rooted from various acids used in brewing, nearly got refused entry into America cos they couldn't fingerprint me.

I didn't even get a funny look at the checkout when I turned up with a dozen bottles of Chase Spring water...

I think once the government go onto the next phase which could possibly as soon as today by closing schools etc to delay the virus spread time wise (they are playing for a hot spell to kill the virus off 26C or above) but it would need to be a long delay to get the hot weather they are praying for in this country anyway. If they do go onto the next phase that's when all supermarkets will have to put restrictions on to stop this stupid panic buying

Last edited:
I work in a school, would be great to have few days off, but honestly I doubt they will close school in entire country. They might do few here and there.
Cases are growing at faster rate now, I think it was around 70 from Sat to Sun. I live in the part of the country were there are lots of care home for elderly -East Sussex - if it hits heavily here... - lots of people in high risk group.

I can imagine a fiasco if the government closes all schools. In most families, both parents work. They would have to set up daycare centres for the children of working parents. Which buildings would have all the necessary facilities? Schools!

If you go shopping wash your hands in the supermarket's toilets and use a wad of paper towels to keep germs off your hands as you open any doors and then bin it when outside. During this time don't touch yourself. You will do just as well as those who think a hand sanitiser is better than hand washing. Up here in the Highlands I'm pleased to see that there are still plenty of delivery slots for Tesco's home delivery service. From £1. We are 50 miles from their base in Wick. That's much cheaper than my driving there and back and suggests there's no panic here. But I am two-and-a-half hours north of Inverness!

Last edited:
I better not answer this in the manner i would like to as as i would have to ban myself with that said all i can say is i am glad the majority will not be so selfish and will isolate themselves and i hope you don't lose a family member to this virus as you may wonder if someone with the same disgraceful attitude as you killed them.

I can only assume this tool, based on the multiple deletions and responses, was given the appropriate treatment........

I hope he comes back soon and shares his knowledge of winemaking. I also hope he thinks long and hard about what he said. It would be good to engage with him and discuss it.

I can imagine a fiasco if the government closes all schools. In most families, both parents work. They would have to set up daycare centres for the children of working parents. Which buildings would have all the necessary facilities? Schools!

That would defeat the object.

If only we had some method of making our own alcohol sanitiser. :rolleyes: Oh well, we can dream.
Alcohol is not very good at killing viruses in real world conditions. Vodka is useless because you need at least 60% ABV.

Latest posts

Back