The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have started this as the other discussion was a bit random and in an unrelated thread.

I heard about this earlier today if it stops people turning up at the doctors or hospital its got to be a good thing.

How the NHS is using 'drive-thru' coronavirus testing

Last edited:
Once you've had it are you then immune it can you get it again?
Are we all fcuked?

You are immune for 3 months only, then you can catch it again, their are some who have it and don't have symptoms. The ones at risk are smokers and those with respiratory problems, also the aged but not if they are in good health. In China there are a lot of smokers, I would be betting that the ones who have karked it are aged smokers.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are immune for 3 months only, then you can catch it again,
Since that is counter to my understanding of how the human body works in terms of immunity following an infection by a particular virus strain I would be interested to learn the medical basis of that statement.

Link doesn't work for me. 404 Error Sorry Page Not Found
If it works for you I would be interested in knowing their source.
The Japanese doctors told the family that since they have recovered from the virus they would have immunity from the virus for 3 months.Here is a UK link, doesn't give a time limitation but it isn't a one off probably because the virus can mutate so quickly.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/26/can-get-coronavirus-already-12304026/

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/wuhan-coronavirus-risk-of-reinfection-2020-2?r=US&IR=T

Last edited:
The Japanese doctors told the family that since they have recovered from the virus they would have immunity from the virus for 3 months.Here is a UK link, doesn't give a time limitation but it isn't a one off probably because the virus can mutate so quickly.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/26/can-get-coronavirus-already-12304026/

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/wuhan-coronavirus-risk-of-reinfection-2020-2?r=US&IR=T
Thankyou for that.
My reading of those articles is different to yours.
- So far here have only been a few re-infections in a few undefined individuals, apart from the single Japanese woman.
- The medical profession have not got a proper understanding as yet of how reinfection might work, and importantly who is most vulnerable.
Therefore whilst it appears that re-infection is possible, the numbers who might be vulnerable to re-infection, and the timing of any re-infection are yet not known.
My conclusion is that the reports are heavy on journalistic licence to fill their pages as click bait, which is now an increasingly common aspect of reporting on this situation
And if the virus mutates, as well it might do (although my understanding is that it has not yet done so) that is an entirely different situation for the authorities and how the world responds, since the mutation may have a different set of infection patterns.

It's funny how weird peoples perspectives can be. 3 to 4 % death rate, shock horror.
If I went to the doctors and was told I had some form of cancer I would be horrified, until he told me the death rate was 3 to 4 %...

I think some of the coverage and attitudes being aimed at Coronavirus are frankly so far off being anything like measured and normal, that it's rapidly becoming a mass delusion!
Coronavirus and Influenza have similar death-rates. They are similarly infectious. You can argue the differences in various bodies statistics... but they are not hugely spread as a set. The mass wearing of facemasks is good for the facemask industry for sure, I'm sure some overnight millionaires are being created... but it will do virtually sod-all for protecting you from the virus. I saw a bloke on the tube last week who was wearing one. He stood holding on to the pole that thousands of other commuters had been holding that day, then raised his mask to reach into his mouth with the same hand and pick something out of his teeth! Instant transmission of anything on that pole!
People are NOT at more risk of dying of Coronavirus than they are of Flu. However most people claim Flu when they have a cold, or want a day or two off work. Real Flu is nasty! The 1918 pandemic killed 18% of victims, about 10-15 times more than other Flu outbreaks. I was unfortunate enough ten years back to get Swine-flu and it was appalling! It knocked me off my feet for two whole weeks, 8 days of which I was bedridden. I came as closer than any other point in my life to calling myself an ambulance due to breathing difficulties. A friend's son was put into a Coma (he survived btw) by Swine-flu.

So, my point of view? Yes Coronavirus is not going to be nice if you get it, but why aren't people as worried about Flu as they are Coronavirus? Why? Because they are badly, and negligently poorly informed about it. And the world's tabloid press loves to whip up a frenzy.

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus-worse-than-flu
I also understand the reason why there is so much focus on this is because its the same virus. Flu/cold etc has so many different variants and strains and its constantly changing. Whereas this IS the SAME thing each time. the symptoms are the same, the order in which the illness is presented is the same.

Whereas people are drawing similarities to flu it is actually quite different in the fact that its the same virus either in the UK, China or Spain. And by that token it could not a respiratory illness, but it could be deadly virus that kills you in a day if caught. And that's why the spread and death rate of it is important and needs to be tracked/controlled.

A British man has become the first UK citizen to die from coronavirus after being infected on the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan.

He is the sixth passenger to die from Covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, Japan's health ministry said.

Hundreds of people on board the liner became infected while it was held in quarantine off the port of Yokohama earlier this month.

It comes as the number of coronavirus cases in the UK rose to 19.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson will chair a meeting of the government's Cobra emergency committee on Monday in response to a growing number of cases in Europe.

Earlier on Friday, three more cases of the virus were confirmed in the UK, including the first one in Wales.

Two new patients in England contracted the virus while in Iran, the Department of Health and Social Care said.

Public Health Wales said it was working to identify close contacts of the Welsh patient, who is believed to be from the Swansea area and was infected in northern Italy before returning to the UK.

Northern Ireland also confirmed its first case on Thursday. Authorities said they have contacted passengers who sat near the woman on a flight from northern Italy to Dublin.

Full article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51677846

Three weeks ago I went to the GP and they had a sign on the door saying if you have flu like symptoms and have recently returned from abroad “DO NOT ENTER AND GO HOME” I thought, that’s a bit abrupt but now I understand

The first person to catch it in the U. K. -

Part of the latest report from the BBC

A patient diagnosed with coronavirus in England has become the first person to catch it in the UK.

It is unclear whether this was "directly or indirectly" from someone who recently returned from abroad, England's chief medical officer said.

The man, from Surrey, is a patient at Haslemere Health Centre and had not been abroad.

Only the government from the large pharmaceutical companies
Conspiracy????

Most likely. So much fake news out there it's hard to know what to believe but I did read a few weeks ago that it was man made and a Chinese company was named. Today I read that they believe it is very similar to a virus found in bats and bats have passed it onto other animals and then onto humans

Back