The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twelve more patients in England have tested positive for coronavirus, taking the total number of UK cases to 35.
I accept that 'we' are still fairly low down on the learning curve regarding this particular virus but there are other earlier pandemic examples on which the authorities are modelling their responses, so it is not a blank sheet of paper or make it up as you go along. And I also accept that the number of cases and deaths arising will increase before the situation become fully under control, as it inevitably will, as has happened in the past with these things.
However to put your quoted numbers into context, there are currently about 66.5m people in the UK according to at the last accurate estimation and road deaths are currently running at just below 1800 a year .
So at present you are significantly more likely to die from a road accident vs. catching and dying from coronavirus even assuming you are not a fit and healthy individual with the capacity to fight it, and for every coronavirus case in the UK there about two million who haven't caught it .

Lads I'm in Sth east Ireland and a man was taken out from a residential property by ambulance in full body protection gear also ambulance men fully covered its here

Do they fully disinfect the ambulance every time they have had someone with the virus inside?

you are significantly more likely to die from a road accident vs. catching and dying from coronavirus even assuming you are not a fit and healthy individual with the capacity to fight it, and for every coronavirus case in the UK there about two million who haven't caught it .

I agree at the moment you are more likely to die from being in a car accident than by catching the virus but having had the first case here where the person had not been abroad i fear the numbers are going to increase dramatically over the next few weeks, we will not see 26c here for months so the virus will survive here much longer than in hot countries and with no vaccine on the horizon i think we are in for some tough times.

Anyone else thinking this:
391BJxd.gif

After a discussion with a customer I will explain what I think and why. 1st I do not have a TV license so I don't know what the main stream view is and due to a few days off I have been following this closely from many sources I have evaluated myself and come to my own conclusions and am in no way any kind of expert in anything to do with this. I thought a few days ago if the new infection rates went over double figures in the UK (excluding imported people from other areas) then that it it will go through the entire population and it has, then it will spread until it runs its course. At some time the government will have to balance isolation vs shun down food supplies vs overloading hospitals to decide how many people die this sounds bad and it is, this is not flu and I hope i'm wrong but I suggest stock up hope for the best but prepare for the worst. If you still think this is just a flu or similar look at the numbers.

I will treat this like everything else in life, if I get it I get it if it wants to kill me so be it, I normally get a cold once every 5 to 6 years around Christmas time, now having mild copd I am in the high risk group so I am taking preventative measures, I have upped my intake of high alpha hops hopefully this will self medicate me against this nasty bug these bugs don't like alchohol so I rekon 6% or above should do it, today I panicked bought for the first time in my life I cleared my local Tesco of their entire stock of duvel triple 300 bottles come on convid bring it on, on a more serious note the media need to stop all this fake ******** and report it properly instead of putting the fear of god in people just report the facts and tell us the public what we need to do to stay safe, as an aside I blame Kim Jung Um or what ever he is called acheers.

I had a few beers and forgot the numbers this is at least 5 times more contagious than flu and anything from 10-200 more deadly so any comparison is pointless unless this is contained is a very small number there will be either mass quarantine or death or both. please post any numbers that disagree and take action as you want.

The problem is people are getting cold symptoms assuming it's just a cold and spreading it if the government don't come up with a plan along the lines of if you feel you have a bad cold get tested we are screwed.

BBC news today _

Boris Johnson is to chair a meeting of the government's emergency Cobra committee later, after the number of UK coronavirus cases jumped to 36.

Senior ministers and health advisers will be told that the virus will present a "significant challenge".

But the prime minister will say the government and NHS are well-prepared and will "stop at nothing" to fight it.

The official government plan on how to tackle the spread of the virus will be finalised and signed off at the talks.

More UK cases are expected to be announced, after 13 new patients were diagnosed on Sunday.

The latest cases included 12 more in England and the first patient in Scotland, meaning the virus has now reached all four parts of the UK.

Three of the new cases in England were linked to a man from Surrey, who was the first patient to not have been abroad recently and was instead infected within the UK.

At least it's solves the pollution problem.
I have seen some pollution maps of China before the virus and now during.
Pollution as disappeared due to no travel and slow down production.

UK health officials are moving towards the second phase of their response to the coronavirus outbreak.

In the "delay" phase measures will be ramped up to slow the spread of the virus, the country's chief medical adviser Prof Chris Whitty said.

He told MPs it was "highly likely" some people now being infected in the UK have no connection to overseas cases.

Three new cases of the virus in Scotland have brought the total number of positive tests in the UK to 90.

Speaking to MPs on the health and social care committee, Prof Whitty said the country was now "mainly" in the delay phase of the government's four-part plan to tackle the virus, but was still following aspects of the first phase.

Downing Street said it would formally announce when it switches from the contain to delay stage of taking on the virus - and that this has not yet happened.

Read full article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51749352

Last edited:
When will there be a coronavirus vaccine?

Researchers have developed vaccines and are starting to test them on animals, and if that goes well there could be human trials later in the year.

But even if scientists can celebrate having developed a vaccine before Christmas, there is still the massive job of being able to mass-produce it.

It means, realistically, one would not be ready until at least the middle of next year.

All of this is happening on an unprecedented timescale and using new approaches to vaccines, so there are no guarantees everything will go smoothly.

Remember there are four coronaviruses that already circulate in human beings. They cause the common cold, and we don't have vaccines for any of them.

Read full article - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51665497

I went into a local supermarket on Tuesday to get some fruit, some milk and some other bits. My wife asked me if i was passing a shop this week to pick up some calpol as our oldest had been a bit off color earlier in the week and we had nearly used up what we had.

All i can say is OMG! The shelves had been stripped bear. And not what you would expect. Here is the list of what i could see had gone, including every variant and manufacturer of said drug, some of which were random to say the least.

Calpol
kids Nurophen
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Cold & Flu Tablets
Hayfever tablets?????
Antihistamines?????
All cough syrup
Nytol??

And rather oddly toilet roll..................... all of it........ gone!!!

wtf is going on??

I dont think we are going to be in a dystopian type mad max society living on toilet roll and hayfever tablets as currency are we?

Wonder what stage 3 & 4 are of the Governments plan? Don't Panic...and PANIC.

Even local shop in Aberdeen has taken a serious hit on the Paracetemol, and we've only had 3 cases yesterday

Back