The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cheap shop in town sells this roll for £1 we use it instead of kitchen towel as its much cheaper and the rolls much bigger, i am sure i could blow my nose on it if panic buying toilet roll becomes commonplace.

blue-roll-industrial-2ply-x-2-c39.jpg
Not as cheap as Chippe's offering above, but I've been using these rolls of paper for a few years now.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/paper-roll-blue-2-ply-185-x-150m-6-pack/148jj

I'm not sure that I'm tough enough to use it as toilet paper though!

For wiping surfaces the chlorine content should be 50ppm. 12% bleach should be diluted. You can use a calculator like this

1% bleach is too strong to use neat and may damage the surface finish. Higher concentrations if split on synthetic cloths like nylon or rayon can cause it to catch fire.

I really would not recommend using chlorine bleach as a hand sanitiser!

Last edited:
Went to the supermarket on the way to football this afternoon to buy mushrooms and tomatoes for tea.
Added bonus was they had the 5kg bag of rice I wanted. Half price this week. They even had bog roll.
One per customer. I didn't buy it as I didn't need it.
Although I was only there briefly I would say the place was quite busy for a Sunday, but plenty of stuff on the shelf.
Really strange seeing people coming out of the store with just toilet paper though.

We are supposed to head off for France in a few weeks time and we are already wondering what will happen to the variety of kisses that the French normally exchange! Amongst our friends:
  • For family and close friends - two kisses on each cheek.
  • For other friends - one kiss on each cheek.
  • For anyone else a "normal" handshake.
Maybe there won't be any change; but then again, I never expected the French to give up smoking in Bars but they did it!

Both bog roll and hand soap were running low in the two supermarkets I was in yesterday but there was still plenty left.

You do need enough food and supplies to self isolate though, I wonder when the run on beans will start :laugh8:

Yeah that's not clear:laugh8:

Some brands were completely gone, some looked plentiful. There was no hand sanitizer at all though

You will go to prison and get free food and lodging if the government introduces emergency laws. I understand your point of view but not bragging about it. You have already posted that you don't wash your hands at work; you would be a massive risk to co-workers and, working in a food factory, you will probably infect members of the public too. Will you get statutory sick pay? The mortgage can be deferred. You only need to self quarantine for 14 days!!!

SSP is meaningless to me, theres no way i can get to see my own doctors within three weeks for an appointment
even if i did get it £80 pw wont even pay the mortage let alone the food and bills.

You don't go to the doctor if you suspect you have the virus so that is irrelevant and you now get SSP from day one.

hedgerowpete said
i am self employed and have no intention of self isolating ever.

What a disgraceful attitude, so you are happy to go to work knowing you could spread the disease and potentially kill someones elderly family member because you were too short sighted to take out health insurance when you became self employed. aheadbutt

As Kelper says you can defer your mortgage and if you tighten your belt i am sure you could get through 14 days on £160.

Last edited:
Thank god the supermarkets have taken action to stop these morons.

Tesco, the UK's largest grocer, has begun restricting sales of essential food and household items as a result of coronavirus stockpiling.

Shoppers are limited to buying no more than five of certain goods, including antibacterial gels, wipes and sprays, dry pasta, UHT milk and some tinned vegetables

The rules apply in stores and online.

A government spokesperson said it was in touch with UK supermarkets to "discuss their response" to the virus.

Waitrose has introduced a temporary cap on some items on its website, including some anti-bacterial soaps and wipes.

The supermarket said it was in talks with its suppliers to ensure customer demand was met.

It said some individual stores may have introduced their own restrictions, with "some branch managers making a judgement at a localised level".

The High Street chemist Boots has restricted sales of hand sanitisers to two per person.

Asda is also restricting some types of hand sanitiser to two bottles per person - the supermarket's only restriction in place currently.

Meanwhile, Sainsbury's said it was not limiting sales of any products in stores or online yet.

On Monday, Environment Secretary George Eustice is expected to hold talks with supermarket and trade bosses about "support for vulnerable groups who may be in isolation", the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said.

Read in full https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51790375

as for killing someone, i have no issue with that, as they will do unto me

I better not answer this in the manner i would like to as as i would have to ban myself with that said all i can say is i am glad the majority will not be so selfish and will isolate themselves and i hope you don't lose a family member to this virus as you may wonder if someone with the same disgraceful attitude as you killed them.

On a more positive note folks, I went to do our usual top up shop today (we do one big shop bi-weekly and a top up shop for perishables in between) and was heartened to see shelves full of bog roll, hand sanitizer and pain killers in my local Aldi. Went down the boozer later and the general banter was taking the **** out of people who are stockpiling. I must live among sensible folk.

My daughter went to Italy yesterday as she was travelling to a non restricted part of Italy and foreign office advice was that it was ok to do so. As soon as she arrived the advice changed to having to self isolate on return, which she will do. However the Italian government has messed up a bit an panic spread allowing lots of people in the north to travel to the south before the quarantine is to be enforced. It will be a fluid situation for some time no doubt with what applies today no longer applying tomorrow!

Would Starsan do as a hand sanitizer? I still have a nearly full bottle and my local supermarket as no hand sanitizer at all. Just a thought. I am over 80 so at risk.
better days

Back