The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    6 KB · Views: 65
All of these have been over 60's with existing health problems so is this virus any more dangerous than seasonal flu?
Yes by whatever numbers from whatever country you use it has a death rate at least 10 times higher than flu possibly 200 times higher. In Italy they are no longer treating anyone over 65 or people under with existing related health conditions in ICU due to lack of space and the average age of those in ICU with corona virus is 46. How many people have you ever heard of under 65 with no related health conditions in hospital with flu let alone ICU. These numbers are a few days old and its all moving very quickly.

Can anyone shed light on why toilet roll is being panic bought? I can understand most of the items - but toilet roll is a mystery to me.
I can live off grid out in the wilds for as long as needed - but toilet roll isn't even on my must-have list.
At least we know that most people will die with a clean bum.

It baffles me.
Made in UK, the same amount each week to meet the very steady demand that dosent even really have seasonal fluctuations.
Has unlimited shelf life but is bulky

Is literally the last thing we need to panic buy

Yes by whatever numbers from whatever country you use it has a death rate at least 10 times higher than flu possibly 200 times higher. In Italy they are no longer treating anyone over 65 or people under with existing related health conditions in ICU due to lack of space and the average age of those in ICU with corona virus is 46. How many people have you ever heard of under 65 with no related health conditions in hospital with flu let alone ICU. These numbers are a few days old and its all moving very quickly.

We are not told the real numbers. That is the frustration, for me.

When I read of some of the stuff people are doing, I can understand why the general public are not more informed as they will only react by ever more dysfunctional and irrational selfish behaviour.
@simon12 do you seriously believe that we really need the elderly to take 20 years instead of 20 other rather shorter time units to refrain from environmental destruction?

It baffles me.
Made in UK, the same amount each week to meet the very steady demand that dosent even really have seasonal fluctuations.
Has unlimited shelf life but is bulky

Is literally the last thing we need to panic buy
I think this stems from the video that went viral of the two women fighting over toilet roll, I think it was in Australia. Its a Joke, my young boy works in sainsburys they are stripping the shelf's of everything from pasta, beans to baby food and nappies.

We are not told the real numbers. That is the frustration, for me.

When I read of some of the stuff people are doing, I can understand why the general public are not more informed as they will only react by ever more dysfunctional and irrational selfish behaviour.
@simon12 do you seriously believe that we really need the elderly to take 20 years instead of 20 other rather shorter time units to refrain from environmental destruction?
As regards real numbers, if you phone the doctor with Flu like symptoms they automatically assume you have it and are told to self isolate for seven days. That is the guidelines, they will only test people at risk

I wonder what the number would be if we didn't have the flu vaccine.
My son had the flu on the 20th December (or it might have been Coronavirus?) he got prescribed the Tamiflu and it was a nightmare trying to get it, 6 chemists later we managed to get it. It lasted 4 weeks and was horrendous.
This is getting more serious by the day and by the time the UK do something about it it will be too late, for goodness sake we have plenty of examples of countries regretting not shutting down sooner, washing hands and not going on a bloody boat just doesn’t cut it now, for once money shouldn’t rule but hey ho once again, let’s listen to a bloody buffoon who a year ago wouldn’t be trusted to water the plants in number 10.
The laughing stock of the world.

My son had the flu on the 20th December (or it might have been Coronavirus?) he got prescribed the Tamiflu and it was a nightmare trying to get it, 6 chemists later we managed to get it. It lasted 4 weeks and was horrendous.
This is getting more serious by the day and by the time the UK do something about it it will be too late, for goodness sake we have plenty of examples of countries regretting not shutting down sooner, washing hands and not going on a bloody boat just doesn’t cut it now, for once money shouldn’t rule but hey ho once again, let’s listen to a bloody buffoon who a year ago wouldn’t be trusted to water the plants in number 10.
The laughing stock of the world.
I see your not a fan of Borris :hat:

Did our 2 weekly shop today. It was busy, but no panic buying that I could see. Managed to get everything we would usually buy, perhaps with a couple of substitutions. I guess I'll just top up shop now. I still can't believe these Muppets panic buying stuff. What a bunch of arseholes.
Did our 2 weekly shop today. It was busy, but no panic buying that I could see. Managed to get everything we would usually buy, perhaps with a couple of substitutions. I guess I'll just top up shop now. I still can't believe these Muppets panic buying stuff. What a bunch of arseholes.
M son has food intolerances and is dairy free, I have to buy him free from chocolate and long life Soya milk but get funny looks from “arseholes” who think I’m “panic” buying.
It’s horses for courses, it’s too easy to judge why people need to purchase a couple of weeks worth of essentials when there are a host of reasons, allergies, family ,neighbours etc.
I personally think it’s foolish not to when the self isolation period is a fortnight but we are all different

I really wish he was a strong leader but it’s turning into a nightmare, I have an unhealthy dislike of the Tories but would quite happily put this aside if he was trying to put the country first.
Oh well, time will tell, I pray I’m wrong and he is right

A 2 week shop, I cant load my fridge quick enough. The younger ones will eat grapes raspberry's and strawberry's by the bucket load not to mention yogurt. I do one big shop a week then top up with the local shop a few times with the essentials

This does seem to be more of a Boris hate than any actual constructive criticism.

YES we are doing it differently for now. Yes it might seem like the wrong thing, but man you seem prety one sided in a debate that isn't really about sides .

It’s about saving people’s lives, the fact I think our leader is clueless is neither here nor there.
I’m not the only one.
Coronavirus: Some scientists say UK virus strategy is 'risking lives' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51892402
Every leader is clueless of the best way to handle the pandemic, its all new, it isn't the leaders that are making the decisions. They will be taking advice from the medical advisers, even though they aren't up to speed with how to handle it. The best case scenario which will come out of this is, which countries action got the best results, then logged for future outbreaks.
Looking at China's history they really should have known better on how to contain it. If you have to blame someone blame them. I have been in those markets, the Chinese will eat everything that moves, that is where the the Chinese government should focus their attention. Shut them down and have strict regulation about the keeping of ducks geese and chickens. When Avian flu crossed to humans it killed 60% of those infected. The way they keep their poultry I reckon we can be sure of it happening again, and it could mutate to something more deadly.

All I can say is ‘just minister’ , ‘Just prime minister’ & ‘The Thick of it’. Great comedy exposing the system as basically compromised by many factors ie mainly self interest etc...... as the old saying goes. ‘Power corrupts’. The NHS had a campaign many many years ago against the big pharmaceutical companies ‘patients before profit’ ! It worked to a certain degree that these companies couldn’t tap up individual GP’s but the margins are still crazy imo. Any way stay safe people. On the bright side if we are quarantined & we are fit enough 2 weeks of non stop brewing will be fantastic! If medieval times taught us one thing it’s that beer was safer to drink than water.acheers.

I am going to very careful in my reply as a high number of forum members are anti-Boris or should I say err on the lefter divide of politics(I am not saying lefties) but the government is doing what they believe is the correct action through medical advisers and there is generally not any person who can actually tell us what is the action we should be taking because if there is they would be on the advisory councils. I do not know in my mind what is the correct action to take but have my own ideas of how it should be done and even the experts do not know which is the correct way to go 100% the main problem that I see and I do part time work in a supermarket so I am seeing first hand the issues that surround this illness i.e panic buying is that whatever the British public are told to do the majority do not see this virus as that important or not as important as getting some toilet roll.

I and other members of staff are having to serve people who are coughing sniffing wiping their noses with tissue which they hold in their hands then when it comes to paying lick their fingers to get the money out of their purses or wallets. I have personally even upto yesterday morning served people who have told me they have just got back from Spain etc just hours before they turned back planes and are completely oblivious or do not think the advice metered out applies to them.

I have noticed the only people I see who are probably taking it more serious are the older generation who are more vulnerable as I have noticed a downturn in the amount of this age bracket shopping as if anybody is going to die its them.

My punchline on this thread I have posted is people in this country especially the ones who if they get it are in the lower risk categories do not care if they get it as to them its just a mild flu symptom so apart from a full lockdown with the army on the streets to stop these people who disregard the risk are not bothered if they pass it on to somebodies granny, grandfather who may not survive this illness, so what is the right action? nobody will know which government has got it right until it is in the history archives we are all just like football supporters who all believe they can do a better job than the manager

Last edited:
@the baron thanks for your post, I read half of it, but it is really hard to read, maybe add spaces between some lines? Anyway, yes you are right, each gov take a chance and they do what ever they think is best. What is strange here, is that most of the world is taking a different approach, even WHO is criticising UKs.

Regarding BJ following the science, I think he is not just doing what they tell him. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him options and he chose one. Still following science.

Regarding how many people will die in the UK, no one can be sure - but I seriously doubt it will be 1% - I think much more. We are probably a nation with a highest percentage of obesity in Europe, we quickly catching up with UK - high blood pressure, not very well functioning hearts, diabetes and so on. NHS is in a dire state. GPs are not getting any direct advice from ministry - this is information directly from a friend who is a GP.
Schools don't get any direct information from DfE, I work in a school. We just use generally available NHS website.
I can really call it good governance.

Good luck to all of us and hopefully we will just get through it with mild symptoms

Latest posts

Back