The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It probably was but the constant coughing is the most frightening bit leaving you fighting for oxygen. I have never had anything like that. It just had all the same symptoms.

That's cos pneumonia is a secondary bacterial infection that usually comes in on the back of you being weakened by something else, so it's the same whether it's Covid19, or any one of hundreds of other viruses, or something else. It's terrifying though - I got a call from a friend of my mum's who had got worried about her not making sense on the phone, when I got to her I thought she'd had a stroke or something. Fortunately she had a version that responded pretty quickly to antibiotics and a few days in hospital with oxygen to help her breathe, it's kinda scary that even that might not be available to patients in a few weeks time. Another member of the family wasn't so lucky, it took weeks in hospital to get rid of it.

I meant to say even before baron's post, the unsung heroes of this crisis are the supermarket workers - not just the poor sods on the front line who have to put up with customers at their sniffling, frustrated, coughing worst, but in particular the logistics guys behind the scenes who have done an awesome job at keeping the shelves stocked. People don't realise how hard that is, and they make it look easy.

The school might not get closed before Easter, but I recon there will be much less kids in them. Amount of kiddies with medical conditions that put them in the risk group is massive.

Oh and there are lots of old gits still teaching, can see the staying awake. Regular teacher can get sick as well.

Popped in to my local corner shop, no problem with milk, but no loo roll and shop owner said there was non in whole sellers - no expectation it will be available soon.

I was self-employed for about 25 years without any "Unemployment Insurance" so I didn't earn a crust if I didn't work and the old "No Work = No Pay" applied.

However, it's a little know fact that some of the fittest people on this planet are Self-Employed Contractors in the Oil and Gas Industry! Personally, I cannot remember ever having a day off work (and sometimes even Billed Clients for 10 days in a week) but a memory that has stayed with me is watching a man hobbling along the counter of a Company Canteen on a pair of crutches, as his mate carried the tray for him.

The poor beggar was so badly injured that he had both legs and one of his arms in plaster casts so I asked a colleague alongside me "Contractor?" and got the reply "Yes! One of the Diving Contractors. He was smashed up in a car accident last week."

At least my compatriot didn't ask me "How did you know?" :laugh8: :laugh8:

Latest from
AAAlglP.img
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coro...d/ar-BB11dSJ1?MSCC=1584314915&ocid=spartandhp

Well I'm afraid when I quote for work, should I put all these extras on as a %. I wouldn't get a job, it's hard enough covering my van expenses and tax with people working for cash, I can't afford a pension either so I must work till I can't. If you want any work done I'd be glad to add all those expenses onto your quote however I know you would choose a cheaper option. This is the reality, how many times even by bankers amongst others do I get, how much for cash or getting ridiculously under cut from the people who do foreigners or Barry's retired down the road and works for nothing.
It's not easy for everyone.

I get that times are hard but what would you do if you tripped and broke your arm surely you have to consider things like this when you are self employed.

Why don't they say what the underlying health conditions are of those that die. Would help educate those that think they will be ok.
Or alternatively reassure those who think they're in mortal peril when in fact they're not.

we are the 5th richest country in the world or so they keep telling us, or is someone telling porkie pie's

Yeah me.
Our GDP compares well, sure (most of which relates to the service sector). But check out our GDP to debt ratio and compare it to Denmark's.

I've just popped to Tesco before work to get my Ashbeck for the next brew and it's being rationed in store to 5 units (packs or bottles) per customer. Panic buying water in this country is just plain daft!

And finally from the department of you couldn't make it up, it was reported in The Times that ISIS is advising its followers against all non-essential travel to Europe.

Well I'm afraid when I quote for work, should I put all these extras on as a %. I wouldn't get a job, it's hard enough covering my van expenses and tax with people working for cash, I can't afford a pension either so I must work till I can't. If you want any work done I'd be glad to add all those expenses onto your quote however I know you would choose a cheaper option. This is the reality, how many times even by bankers amongst others do I get, how much for cash or getting ridiculously under cut from the people who do foreigners or Barry's retired down the road and works for nothing.
It's not easy for everyone.
I would be looking for a different line of work in that case, no good flogging a dead horse. If you can't make more than what you could working as an employee I can't see the point in continuing down the road you are going.

Panic buying water in this country is just plain daft!

No man, you don't get it man. When they cut off the water supply for 3 months and everyone slowly goes mad inside their own homes as their meagre supplies of pasta run out, leaving them with nothing to eat but the plentiful supplies of toilet roll they've gathered, dunked in a variety of condiments (barbecue will be the first one to run out I bet) that's when it'll happen man.

That's when you'll wish you saved those 8 litres of water man, when those mad few finally venture outside, only to set upon by the mindless zombies roaming the ravaged streets, or the rabid wolves that have appeared from seemingly nowhere (but what's a good horror without a couple of wolves eh?).

And god help you if you haven't been saving those hand sanitisers man. When times get rough, having a bath in one of them can be a real lifesaver.

Desperation man. It's a *******.

Why don't they say what the underlying health conditions are of those that die. Would help educate those that think they will be ok.

The ones in the UK? I'd guess a combination of not wanting to give false hope to people who happen to have other conditions and medical privacy. Would you like to have the 10 o'clock news broadcasting that Leon died of Covid19 today, made worse by the fact that he had the clap and was a smackhead?

But looking around at other countries, vascular problems seem to be the biggest risk factor, particularly high blood pressure but also heart disease, a history of strokes, things like that.

Not meaning to come across as unsympathetic, but those who are self-employed should have income protection. You have absolutely no rights and safety nets. Not having it would be akin to not having car insurance.

Whilst I agree with what you say, I know many do not have any cover and some policies only start paying out once you have been in hospital for a number of days - it really depends on whether anyone took out the insurance and what kind they were sold.

Already insurance companys are worming their way out, ask the 4000 landlords who got a letter from Zurich who have informed them its not on list of notifieable illnesses and they are not covered for loss of earnings, insurance companys are in the make money game not the other way round

My office in City of London shut today and they've disabled our security passes so you cant get in even if you wanted to pick some stuff up. Might get a starter on!

Was In Tesco yesterday its a big tesco was the biggest one at one point but I only popped in to get a few bits as the boys were over for tea and 80% of teh people in there had trolleys rammed full of toilet rolls one guy had 40kg of rice wtf!.

Virus doesn;t concern me too much, these people do and it was so horriffic to see the mass panic going on.. You;d think war was breaking out

Back