The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a load of paint in,if I get laid off I'll do the decorating...

I was thinking the same Clint. I might have to go to the hardware store and stock up on paint first though.

The panic buying went into extreme mode near me yesterday, and from what I read most of Australia.
The supermarkets opened at 7am for pensioners. My partner drove past there about 7.15 and said it
looked like chaos in the car park.
I went into town later to pick up some meds for her. Got a parking space OK, but most of the meat was gone.
All the mince in 500g & 1kg packs sold. Strangely the Turkey Mince that we use was $1 was in stock.
People are panicking but not enough to eat Turkey Mince.
I'd only intended to pick up a kilo of mince and a couple of packets of frozen veg.
Seems like I won't just be able to call in and buy what I want to eat on a daily basis anymore.
The son of one of my work colleagues works at a electrical retailer. He sold 4 freezers before midday on Sunday.
People weren't even haggling on price.

The majority of people will get he virus and with mild symptoms. Those that do (present symptoms) can isolate for 7 days (if living alone) or 14 days if living with others and actually we need people to get the virus so that we can increase immunity.
I wonder how many mild cases people assumed to be a case of cold or flu.

It's worth mentioning that when the WHO report on Wuhan says that >80% cases are mild with only 13.8% severe and 6.1% critical, the definition of "mild" is not a bit of a sniffle, but anything up to full-blown pneumonia. The severe cases need breathing support - oxygen or a ventilator, critical means respiratory or multi-organ failure. A paper published yesterday suggested that initially 86% of cases went undocumented, but more recent work in Shenzen suggests only 23% were missed by looking for symptoms. It seems that although people shed virus for a long time they can be infectious for <24h before showing symptoms and 6 days after if the symptoms are mild, but mebbe 10 days or more if symptoms are worse.

When will mask wearing become the norm? I was expecting something to be said about it, but so far no mention at all?

It's discouraged for the general public because they
a) don't wear them properly leaving gaps for virus to get in
b) don't take them off correctly so get infected taking them off
c) despite this they get a false sense of security and take more risks than non-mask wearers
d) they deprive doctors and nurses of masks at a time when the medical supply chain is under huge stress.

You might as well use a scarf or something.

Going vaguely OT, apparently homebrew retailers are snowed under at the moment whilst commercial breweries are looking at financial ruin now that pubs are shut - if you need malt in particular why not ring round local breweries to see if they have some spare that they can sell you? Not only will you be giving them a little bit of cashflow, buying local means that far fewer hands will be touching your bags.

Please don't use 12,% bleach. It's harmful and dangerous. Household bleach is 1 percent or less and still needs to be diluted. If you start using 12%bleach you will ruin all your surfaces and damage your skin.
I'm sorry I'm not following you. The bleach they use in work is 12.5% bleach mixed to 87.5% water.
It's a major pathology company. The biggest in Australia. I presume they know what they're doing.
At least I bloody hope they do, as I've visited the Covid 19 test centre four times this week.

One small silver lining, there may be an abundance of second hand chest freezers and fridges flooding the market after this all blows over,
I was just thinking this myself. Along with buying power company share with all the extra power being used.

Now reporting on the radio that some Aldi stores are not opening until midday. They're having problems getting supplies overnight.
The truck didn't turn up, and then they have to stock the shelves.

Yeah...that's including the normal 8000 from seasonal flu...that no one bats an eyelid at unless it involves them.
I wasn't aware of how many died from flu a year. I knew it was quite a few though.
To be honest I've read so many figures over the last couple of weeks. And then see them disputed by someone else.
But a quick google suggests 3,500 for Australia. Given the population and colder weather in the UK if only 8000 die that's good going.

Aussie figures.....In Australia, influenza on average causes 3,500 deaths,4 about 18,000 hospitalisations and 300,000 GP consultations2 each year. Influenza is caused by a virus and causes more severe illness than the common cold.

Sorry to put a downer on the numbers but the government estimated 80% of the population to get it and 1% of those will die makes half a million deaths so 20,000 is very optimistic. Also bad news there have been people in there 30s who recovered with severe long term lung damage without having severe symptoms. The news based on real numbers it just getting worse outside of South Korea.

Sanitisers and Coronaviruses.
This was on the FB brewers forum for the scientists amongst us but an exert is below
"The analysis of 22 studies reveals that human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days, but can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62–71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute. Other biocidal agents such as 0.05–0.2% benzalkonium chloride or 0.02% chlorhexidine digluconate are less effective. As no specific therapies are available for SARS-CoV-2, early containment and prevention of further spread will be crucial to stop the ongoing outbreak and to control this novel infectious thread"
https://www.journalofhospitalinfect...ORDCaVzwELE6f5Ubb1vpG3WZvKh2AQkYqP7sr1x9Fgguk

Also just noticed my PAA has an expiry(?) SLED anyone know what that means?

Sorry to put a downer on the numbers but the government estimated 80% of the population to get it and 1% of those will die makes half a million deaths so 20,000 is very optimistic. Also bad news there have been people in there 30s who recovered with severe long term lung damage without having severe symptoms. The news based on real numbers it just getting worse outside of South Korea.
I think that's why they say 20,000 would be a GOOD outcome.

Sorry to put a downer on the numbers but the government estimated 80% of the population to get it

That was the worst case scenario, making assumptions that probably aren't true but you still include them in planning.

In government planning documents the population of the UK has been killed off several times over....

One big supermarket has anounced they will close at 10pm so shelves can be stocked during the night, looks like there will be queues in the morning before opening time, I hope they clamp down on these panic buying morons.

Latest posts

Back