The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, FedEx man. The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (American branch) has thoughtfully waived shipping fees thru the end of March to ease the hardships of the current hysteria, and to help keep us safe by not having to go out shopping for our necessities and risk exposure. While these bottles are already in stock, I'm feeling another order coming on.

View attachment 23616
Nice selection, I've also got a decent stock of society whisky to keep us going. Let my membership lapse this year until I drink up the previous 2 years acquistions. :cool:

I'm just waiting for the offshore industry to start having real issues with crew transport, my operator has just started getting us to report to a hotel prior to check-in so our temperatures can be taken.

I joined the SMWS in ancipatoon of visiting their members rooms during our planned trip to Scotland in late April. It looks like that's right out, but I'll stick with these guys because every scotch from them has been pretty spectacular.

I will wait another 2 weeks before canceling our flights and hotel/B&B bookings, just in case things change. :(

Although the likes of Africa are pretty stuffed on a healthcare basis (and the density of population in their big cities), the one thing they have got going in their favour is that their populations are pretty young compared to eg Japan and Europe.

I would imagine dutto is in the at risk category due to his advancing years and thus must be somewhat concerned.

Washing at 40C won't kill viruses, even 60C won't. This is good for hand washing with soap but it only flushes them away.
I'm sure I read 40c kills it off, can't remember where I read it. ( I was enjoying far too many of magic Rock's range at the time 😵

Last edited:
Although the likes of Africa are pretty stuffed on a healthcare basis (and the density of population in their big cities), the one thing they have got going in their favour is that their populations are pretty young compared to eg Japan and Europe.
Japan's doing remarkably well considering the amount of Chinese tourism. The emergency measures in Hokkaido, the worst affected prefecture, have already been lifted.

A lot of America is now in, or going into 30 days isolation, only to go out for essential supplies none essential businesses to close, the forecast is we will be going into a global recession. The American government will be giving $1,000 dollars to all citizens not considered wealthy, which equates to 1 weeks pay. It is expected that the unemployment rate in America will rise to over 20%

Boris and his cabinet face some tough decisions, even if isolation was implemented for three months or more there will still be the chance of further outbreaks once the time was up.

Prof Azra Ghani added that the modelling suggests that even if the government waited until July to ease new restrictions - more than three months - it could result in cases increasing again.

"We haven't found any way, at least in our understanding of this so far, that we can ever release these [restrictions] unless some other intervention occurs", she said.

Are we then in a permanent state of outbreak?, she was asked. "That's our current understanding," she said.

The briefing took place immediately after the prime minister spoke. Prof Ghani was joined by Prof Neil Fergusson, who heads the team at Imperial and advises Number Ten.

Fergusson said there were two factors which prompted the change in the government’s position - both taking place in over the last two days.

Fergusson added: "The only exit strategy from this long term is vaccination or some other kind of innovative technology."

The governments all over the world, are facing the same dilemma, we won't know which country has made the right decisions until it is over and the death count tallied. Some jumped early some jumped late. Running a league table is fine but it is how the league stands when it is over which will count, not only from the deaths but the viability of businesses if they are still operational.
The vaccine is reportedly 18 months away, that's a long time to isolate and for a business to be around for.

Running a league table is fine but it is how the league stands when it is over which will count, not only from the deaths but the viability of businesses if they are still operational.
Are you suggesting there should be a trade off? That lives should be sacrificed in favour of businesses? Well, we sacrifice lives in times of war and we'll do it to keep essential services running. But to keep an airline or travel agency or florist or burger joint going? I certainly wouldn't subscribe to that.

It would seem that China has been successful in controlling the spread of this virus. It would seem reasonable, then to copy China, at least until a vaccine is developed.
My question is why is the deaths to cases ratio so high in Italy. Has their lock down been sloppy? Is there something about Italians which makes them more vulnerable? Their health system is certainly well equipped and funded.

Are you suggesting there should be a trade off? That lives should be sacrificed in favour of businesses? Well, we sacrifice lives in times of war and we'll do it to keep essential services running. But to keep an airline or travel agency or florist or burger joint going? I certainly wouldn't subscribe to that.
Deaths are inevitable, they are going to happen no matter what, as we have seen it is among the elderly and those with preexisting ailments we are not going to be able to stop that. As for businesses, I don't recall saying keep them going, but they have to be cut some slack while they are closed, rent, and tax concessions. The economy has to be protected, the more people without jobs the less revenue coming in for the government to spend on welfare NHS and all other related services. There will be a large amount of businesses not reopening, and a lot of people unemployed.

Deaths are inevitable, they are going to happen no matter what, as we have seen it is among the elderly and those with preexisting ailments we are not going to be able to stop that. As for businesses, I don't recall saying keep them going, but they have to be cut some slack while they are closed, rent, and tax concessions. The economy has to be protected, the more people without jobs the less revenue coming in for the government to spend on welfare NHS and all other related services. There will be a large amount of businesses not reopening, and a lot of people unemployed.
True enough. It's hard to see how the world is going to be the same after all this. I see essential services and perhaps even food chains being nationalised and a lot more dependence on the State. It's not really going to be a postwar scenario where there's a lot of rebuilding to mop up the unemployed. And there's going to be a lot of unemployed.

If, for example, Hubei province had no cases for 14 days, there would be no pool of virus and movement restrictions WITHIN Hubei could be lifted. The virus would not flare up. After that it would be prudent to test everyone with symptoms in case there is some illegal entry of persons. Tracing their contacts should also keep the spread under control.

True enough. It's hard to see how the world is going to be the same after all this. I see essential services and perhaps even food chains being nationalised and a lot more dependence on the State. It's not really going to be a postwar scenario where there's a lot of rebuilding to mop up the unemployed. And there's going to be a lot of unemployed.
The coronavirus strain which includes MERS and SARS still hasn't got a vaccine, admittedly it didn't become as wide spread as the current virus. Another fact is China is far more used to dealing with this sort of outbreak. They have enough supplies of testing swabs and can get results back far quicker than any other nation. Isolation in China means ISOLATION, not go home for a fortnight where you will go and take the dog for a walk or go down the shops in infect more people.
It may seem a bit lacking in compassion but for me I would have gone down the community immunity track. It is a big risk especially for a government to subscribe to, but deaths are inevitable the aged would be protected as much as possible. It has worked in the past, and as there is no vaccine that is logically the only route which would work when there is no vaccine available.

Nice one, there are Facebook pages popping up where people can ask for help it just goes to show there are are some decent folk about and we are not all panic buying ignorant scum.
Tony was discussing this on 5 live and said he knocked on his two neighbours houses before he set off to the studio and asked if they needed anything the days of old where we all knew all the people on our street have long gone maybe its time we should change that.

A lot of people came out to thank the children, most of them were old. Felt a but strange I was trying to keeping distance and they were bringing chocolate out for my kids

1. It does if it stops them going bankrupt in which case they loose there job
2. We have a benefits system for the unemployed so the answer is the UK does do this
3. A mortgage holiday has no relevance to renters

This may sound like a total disagreement to your point of view but I do agree the governments general approach to this is rushed, badly targeted and is going to have lasting effects and has blown the 330 billion to fast without thinking of the targeting. Also there is a huge number of people that will go into a dept cycle they will never pay off just like the government. We are in an extreme situation and the only way out I see after the virus has passed is massive dept forgiveness that I have no idea how even could work. I would also note it shows the major problems that have been growing since at least the 2 world wars is that the biggest earners have been the money movers (running of the printed money produced by the unholy alliance of the banks, central banks and government) not the people who make things or provide services people actually need.
The banks will not forgive debts they will postpone payments, and maybe at a reduced interest rate but they are there to make money for investors. No investors equals no money to lend.
Over here the government has informed landlords that they are to forgo chasing up debts from tenants impacted by the coronavirus, but if this is going to go on for 18 months I can't see that happening.

There was a good video on the BBC yesterday from sir Chris Evans, the microbiologist, he is very surprised by the speed and positive results from all the tests for a vaccine. He said they are using a mixture if existing drugs. He said by April we could see medication which will mean the symptoms bearable and stop deaths and the need for a lot of people to attend hospital

I believe they are testing two drugs based on one's that are already available let's hope they work and may reduce the number of deaths.

Me and MrsMQ arn't going to cornwall at easter to stay with her elderly mother like we normally do so we dont pass it on. I bet by easter London will be in lockdown anyway (just ordered more hops just in case)

According to the US CDC, the minimum temperature for hot water sanitising is 77°C (171°F) . This is why most washing machines do not fully sanitise clothes and cloths etc. But the cottons programme in a tumble drier will.

Latest posts

Back