The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m going into my office first thing tomorrow, picking everything up and moving to home. My colleague had already done so a while back. I still have work on, so as long as I’m busy, I have that to focus on. If work dries up, I’ll focus on sorting the garden out. I live in a rural area, so going out for a walk is not really an issue, but I’ll do so in the evening when I’ll probably see no one.

I think this had to come in order to save more lives. It’s not just older people who are dying - this virus seems to affect different people in different ways.

I think lockdown might be more of an issue than some think - I think we’re probably looking at anything between 3 and 6 months. I really feel for those living in flats in city centres. At least I have a garden to step into at any time.

On a brighter note, the death rate daily increase in Italy is slowing, so it may be they are reaching the top of the curve and things will start to get better. If that is the case, we will have a comparable country to model our lockdown response in. My, completely unscientific, guess is eight weeks before some lessening of restrictions.

I think by end of April we will see medication starting to become available which will lessen the burden on the nhs and therefore restrictions.

I've just arrived to do my night shift at 10pm to be met with an email saying that when I finish at 6am tomorrow that the factory will shut until the 5th of April. The upside of this is...I'll be able to get some brewing done (I haven't brewed for a while) every cloud and that ;)

The Spousal Unit and I looked at each other today, and decided to cancel all of our Scotland reservations today. Our hearts are broken. It is exceedingly unlikely that rescheduling can happen for later this year, so hopefully next year.

Someone said they should never have said the younger generation would only have mild symptoms and its the olds that will die, if they had read this it may have scared them into keeping apart.
This isn't the first time i have read many have lost their sense of smell and taste which wasn't mentioned as a symptom when this first became widespread.

A young man who was “fit and healthy” is urging people to isolate after he nearly died with coronavirus.

Ryan Van Waterschoot, 28, who thought he “was never coming home”, took to social media asking others “not to be selfish”.

After 10 days in Peterborough City Hospital he is now recovering at home.

“If not for the nurses risking their lives... I wouldn’t be here... Please stay at home and don’t put them under more pressure,” he said.

Mr Van Waterschoot, an account manager for a car rental firm, initially thought he had a cold after losing his sense of taste and smell on 6 March.

His symptoms began before government advice on social distancing, and he thought he was unlikely to be at risk because he had not been abroad in several years.

However, his condition worsened over the next six days with a serious cough and fever. Doctors found he had pneumonia and sepsis, related to the coronavirus infection.

He said: “I felt awful, I felt like my body was completely shutting down.”

“I’ve always been fit and healthy, that’s the biggest shock about it. It went from 0-100 so fast.”

“When I tested positive it was horrendous. You’re on your own, you just think you’re going to die... It was the scariest moment of my life.”

Mr Van Waterschoot, of Peterborough, who is married to Ashleigh, was the first of two confirmed cases in the city so far.

He said he owed his life to the NHS staff who “risked their lives to save mine”.

“They were literally the only people I saw and they kept me positive... It takes incredible guts and courage to go into a room with someone with coronavirus,” he added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-52010927
I think he may have been a rare case, a leading virology expert here says the fit younger people who have contracted the disease either have shown no symptoms or very mild symptoms. He said that it is those with 5 to 10 years of life expectancy and those with respiratory problems most at risk. Pretty much the same infirmities targeted by influenza.
So far in America alone this flu season has killed 22,000 compared to 16,500 world wide of COVID-19

I’ve been critical of Boris but I thought he handled that announcement very well, credit to him for doing the right thing and let’s hope this makes a big difference

Hopefully this will in a few weeks start to curb the number of both infectious and deaths.

Ive just being notified that work doesn’t want anyone on public transport so my laptop is to be couriered to me, which honestly comes as a bit of a relief as was not looking forwa to braving public transport today.

Boris even brushed his hair and put a clean suit on. Glad they have done the right thing at last.

I took a walk with my dog this morning along my local high street and some the roads next to it. All the shops are closed apart from anywhere selling food of course, but still a lot of people out and about, not the ghost town I thought it would be.

I walked up to a Tesco express this morning, nor,ally have to cross a fairly busy road, it was dead. On the upside the stock in Tesco express wasnt as bad as I expected, hopefully the panic buying has died down a bit.

decided ill go for a run tomorrow morning but still working from home as normal

Kids are at my exs house I do wonder how this is going to work though.

decided ill go for a run tomorrow morning but still working from home as normal

Kids are at my exs house I do wonder how this is going to work though.

same here, does this mean we cant see the kids if we live separately?!

same here, does this mean we cant see the kids if we live separately?!

Not sure, my ex is a front line band 7 NHS nurse so I am guessing she needs to drop them off with me and she can collect them when off work unless there is an outbreak on her ward.

I took a walk with my dog this morning along my local high street and some the roads next to it. All the shops are closed apart from anywhere selling food of course, but still a lot of people out and about, not the ghost town I thought it would be.

Thats because everyone else was going for a walk to see if the high street was a ghost town :laugh8:

For anyone else who's particularly stir crazy because of not being able to get to the gym, Arnie has posted an equipment-free home workout program HERE. Love him or hate him, there's no doubt the guy knows what he's talking about when it comes to training, and although it's not exactly a perfect sub for barbell training it's much better than sitting on your ass.

Latest posts

Back