The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Chippy, I've always used the small 'pocket size' ones from Aldi or Lidl 60/70p before as I sail model boats in a pond frequented by waterfowl, so washed then sanitized my hands in our clubhouse after sailing. That little hobby has gone down the plughole for the foreseeable future!

Why would anyone put themselves in that danger i would rather ring in sick and say i had symptoms than risk crowded trains like that, how can they close pubs and shops etc but let this go on?

Many people in London are in the gig economy and dont get sick pay others so wouldnt have any money coming in. Many others only get statutory sick pay which is woeful and not enough to live on (I think £94 pw - Im sure someone will correct me if I've got this wrong)

Thanks Chippy, I've always used the small 'pocket size' ones from Aldi or Lidl 60/70p before as I sail model boats in a pond frequented by waterfowl, so washed then sanitized my hands in our clubhouse after sailing. That little hobby has gone down the plughole for the foreseeable future!

I could think of a new temporary hobby where you can still use the pond this would involve an air rifle. :laugh8:

Many people in London are in the gig economy and dont get sick pay others so wouldn't have any money coming in. Many others only get statutory sick pay which is woeful and not enough to live on (I think £94 pw - Im sure someone will correct me if I've got this wrong)

I though everyone other than self employed were to be paid 80% of their wages if off work due to coronavirus.

Todays stats -

No new cases and deaths in Italy, France and U.K.

ccccccccc.jpg
Surely that can’t be true

Surely that can’t be true

I have just checked again and the death total for the U. K is now +3.

Edit to add - the site seems to be playing up the figures for today and yesterday are below.

Last edited:
I pulled this of the guardian coronavirus blog

"The Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA) has described the chancellor’s decision to collect March’s beer duty payments as “incredibly disappointing” and “a huge blow” for the UK’s army of small independent brewers.

Brewers have been calling on the chancellor to unilaterally cancel the payment, due to be debited from bank accounts on Wednesday, in the face of decimated sales following physical distancing measures including pub, bar and restaurant closures, and as of last night the closing of takeaway sales for beer businesses.
SIBA says the average small brewer will be saddled with a beer duty bill of around £5,000, but for larger companies it could be as much as £500,000.
James Calder, SIBA’s chief executive, said:
SIBA has been calling for the cancellation of beer duty for over a week and it is incredibly disappointing that the chancellor has decided not to act, given he knows how poor the answer rate and experience on the helpline is.
The chancellor has left brewers with few options if they are unsuccessful in reaching the helpline. There will be brewers tomorrow who will have thousands of pounds direct debited from their accounts by HMRC. This is a huge blow for the UK’s small independent brewers.
Brewers are urged to phone the HMRC time to pay helpline, which HMRC say is now fully staffed, but a poll of small brewers by SIBA showed that only 21% have been able to get through."

Another bad day for the UK!

The jump in deaths per day from 54 to 87 is a 161% day-on-day increase.

IF this pattern continues we will be well on the way to a catastrophe by the end of this month, never mind in the months to come!

Personally, the fines can't come quick enough or big enough to get people to start to take notice and obey the law!

BTW, I see that the beacon of hope and understanding (the CEO of Wetherspoons) has outdone himself today by telling his staff that they should go and work at Tesco.

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2020/03/24/wetherspoons-boss-tim-martin-tells-staff-to-work-at-tescoa/
I thank my lucky stars that I never had to work for a prick like this! :mad:

Another bad day for the UK!

The jump in deaths per day from 54 to 87 is a 161% day-on-day increase.

IF this pattern continues we will be well on the way to a catastrophe by the end of this month, never mind in the months to come!

Personally, the fines can't come quick enough or big enough to get people to start to take notice and obey the law!

BTW, I see that the beacon of hope and understanding (the CEO of Wetherspoons) has outdone himself today by telling his staff that they should go and work at Tesco.

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2020/03/24/wetherspoons-boss-tim-martin-tells-staff-to-work-at-tescoa/
I thank my lucky stars that I never had to work for a prick like this! :mad:

Went out for supplies earlier. Loads of people all over the place. Didnt see any coppers to hand out fines though

We went to the next big town today as SWMBO needed some new work shoes while we were there we visited the Range store to pick up a 30 bottle wine kit there was only one kit left on the shelf, looks like the panic buying has now hit home brew.
Tesco had no toilet roll, hand sanitiser and many of the bottled beers were gone and were not just talking about lager. asad1
Looks like i may have to panic buy and raid bargain booze.

Went for a walk this morning, and to do some shopping, everywhere was quiet. On the way back I passed my local pharmacy - sign in the window saying 'we now have hand sanitiser £3.99 a pop, max sale of 2' When this is all over there will need to be 'a reckoning' with the rip off buggers who are trying to capitalize on covid19 ( In fairness to the store it may be the manufactures / suppliers who are the culprits)

While unbranded hand sanitizer is cheap it is likely that the branded stuff is the only thing available. While £3.99 seems vastly inflated compact to some of the eBay sellers it seems positively reasonable.

That said I hope that before long their is going to be a lot of these profiteers stuck with a load of stock they can’t shift as seriously who will actually pay £20 for hand sanitizer especially when you are likely stuck at home and can just wash your hands with slap and hot water.

Back