The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry to contradict you Maestro, but quick is not going to work. It needs as long to sanitise with hand sanitiser as it does with water, if not longer as the 20 seconds has to be followed by air drying. Hand sanitiser will only work if your hands are already clean. We use flannels, one each, as hand towels. These are washed daily and sanitised in the tumble dryer on a cottons cycle. But each to his own and you will know what works best in your household.

Saving time wasn't the reason i prefer hand gel but having said that you don't need to spend 20 seconds rubbing hand sanitiser in you just need to make sure its rubbed in washing is better (as it says below) but we don't have a mixer taps so using running water is not an option so when your hands are clean you then have to turn the taps off, pull the plug to empty the sink and dry your hands with a towel you are not sure someone else hasn't used already, i may be paranoid but i prefer it my way. wink...

When it comes to hand washing, the NHS says you should wash your hands for the amount of time it takes to sing ‘Happy birthday’ twice.

A study published in the American Society of Microbiology in 2019 revealed using running water and soap to wash your hands if more effective than using hand sanitiser when it hasn’t properly been rubbed in.

Public Health England says if hand sanitiser is used it needs to contain at least 60 percent alcohol content - most contain 60 to 95 percent.

I'm not being a drama queen, but this is my experience of mild symptoms.

A week ago, the fever started, absolutely no different than a normal flu type fever.
If I recall rightly, 24 hours later the sore throat started. Massive swollen glands, hacking cough.
Yesterday morning, I felt reasonably OK.
This morning the shortness of breathe started. It's not severe for me, but very noticeable, as is the occasional bit of upper chest pain. I've never experienced anything like it before.

I've been super strict with the hand cleaning etc.
I'm 51
No underlying health issues but am a fatty.
I don't smoke, i vape. Or did before this kicked off.

If anyone has any questions in particular I can answer.

We don't have mixer taps so I fill the hand basin with a hot mix, wash my hands thoroughly, use a nail brush if necessary, empty the basin and then rinse under running cold water, But soapy water will quickly kill the covid-19, so, perhaps, the last stage is not required.

Last edited:
I'm not being a drama queen, but this is my experience of mild symptoms.

A week ago, the fever started, absolutely no different than a normal flu type fever.
If I recall rightly, 24 hours later the sore throat started. Massive swollen glands, hacking cough.
Yesterday morning, I felt reasonably OK.
This morning the shortness of breathe started. It's not severe for me, but very noticeable, as is the occasional bit of upper chest pain. I've never experienced anything like it before.

I've been super strict with the hand cleaning etc.
I'm 51
No underlying health issues but am a fatty.
I don't smoke, i vape. Or did before this kicked off.

Hope you get well soon, your description is very similar to a few I have read are you noticed any taste and smell loss?

what was your temperature? Just curious. It does sound like Covid, but could have been a nasty flu. (I'm not a doctor!) I hope you recover soon.

No disrespect, but there are still many more cases of flu/cold than CoV.

cheers
no, my smell and taste are the same.

the swollen glands surprised me, they were very swollen, hard to swallow.

now it's just fingers crossed that it buggers off lol

i've no idea as to temperature. but it was high. strangely enough that's pretty much gone now, just the chest/shortness of breath.

I popped like 3 ceterizine hydrochloride today and they had no effect, so I’m guessing not allergy.

Also some Dewd mentioned loss of smell and taste?

So one time, I got this mega bad cold, like last year or some ****. Could not taste ANYTHING. So we got pizza, I ordered a jalepeno loaded, 3 franks hot sauces number. Experimental like.

I **** you not, I like dunked that jalepeno pizza bad boy big time into that franks hot ****, I could not taste ANYTHING. Coulda been eating ******* bread.

wierdest thing that was.
also depressing as **** because obviously I couldn’t taste the ******* awesome pizza.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've no idea as to temperature. but it was high. strangely enough that's pretty much gone now, just the chest/shortness of breath.

you actually sound like you’re handling it pretty well.

I mean yeah, it sounds like a sh**ty illness, but you sound in pretty good nick yeah?

with any luck you’ll be out the other side in a few days.

you actually sound like you’re handling it pretty well.

I mean yeah, it sounds like a sh**ty illness, but you sound in pretty good nick yeah?

with any luck you’ll be out the other side in a few days.

Cheers, oh don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not right now. Still have fever, but not drenched in sweat anymore. Am very buggered feeling, just trying to be as healthy as possible until whatever it is, is gone.

Thanks.
Quick update.
Phoned the 111 NHS line, as breathing becoming very weird. When trying to take a deep breathe, the occasional crackle happens.
Fatigue is a bit of a problem, nothing too severe, just feel how anyone would after a few hours graft, but without actually doing anything.

The advice from 111 is that these are considered mild symptoms and at the moment it isn't anything to be concerned about. I was told there is nothing unusual in what I am experiencing with regard to mild symptoms.
But even still without testing, it could be anything.
They said 999 is the last resort if fatigue becomes so bad it's impossible to look after yourself or breathing becomes so difficult it's only possible to say a few words at a time.

I thought I'd post this to put minds at rest in case anyone comes down ill and panics if they go beyond the cough/fever stage. But, of course please use your own nogging if you're ill.

I thought I'd post this to put minds at rest in case anyone comes down ill and panics if they go beyond the cough/fever stage. But, of course please use your own nogging if you're ill.

I for one am glad you have, i hope it doesn't last long, keep us posted.

I for one am glad you have, i hope it doesn't last long, keep us posted.

Thanks.
Will try to pop in daily to update.
Sorry, forgot to mention, a symptom for me is a kind of double involuntary breathe when talking.
This was part of what I described to 111 and as such normal.

Update tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back