The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nasty profiteering - that is what is going on - I saw a jigsaw for £13 plus £185 delivery - beware auto purchase (one click) on Amazon

Where have all the kits gone. Both local brewshops closed and amazon have nothing except coopers kits at£72. Wtf is going on?
I know right!!! Went on there earlier today I’m like WTF??? There isn’t even a wine buddy to be had.
Crazy.
But, you can still get yeast.
And you can still get fruit juice or tinned fruit.
And raisins.
Or, there’s always tea (cheers Pete, cracking recipe that one)

any body who understands maths knows that uk deaths will exceed 1000 per day in approx 4 days time. Tell the people that - and they will observe lockdown and distancing.
I am hopeful based on my numbers they won't. When Italy went into lockdown they had daily deaths of 97 when we had 54, after Italy locked down the daily rate had not yet reached 500 in 10 days the increase in this dropped off 2 days later at 793 hopefully peaked at 919 2 days ago and down to 756 today so I am hopeful we will stay well below 1000 a day. Hard to believe under 1000 deaths a day is good.

I've definately noticed all the bikes about. Especially all the numpties who dont know how to ride them. But why a boom in coffee? Coffee shops/cafes closed?
Guess its those that love a coffee shop coffee, bought a £1000 machine but never used it.

I am hopeful based on my numbers they won't. When Italy went into lockdown they had daily deaths of 97 when we had 54, after Italy locked down the daily rate had not yet reached 500 in 10 days the increase in this dropped off 2 days later at 793 hopefully peaked at 919 2 days ago and down to 756 today so I am hopeful we will stay well below 1000 a day. Hard to believe under 1000 deaths a day is good.
Average death rate in UK is 1,644 mostly those with underlying health conditions and the elderly.
So it would be interesting to compare if the 1,644 figure has gone down, according to the data (post 1447) 50 to 66 % of those dying with CODIV-19 were going to die anyway, but succumbed to the virus. If that's the case the normal average death rate should have dropped.

Went for a walk this afternoon, it was bitterly cold, saw two other people walking. Saw about 100 cars, I think more than double I would see on a normal Sunday, not one was travelling in the direction to/from the only shop open.

Just watched Nigel Farage conspiracy theory video, the Chinese trying to influence Italy and Spain, by giving free medical supplies, ventilators and supplying doctors therefore getting a foothold into Europe. I do usually agree with what a lot of Farage says, but in this instance I do think China wants everyone to get better so they can carry on doing business. No good for China if they have no one to export to.

Average death rate in UK is 1,644 mostly those with underlying health conditions and the elderly.
So it would be interesting to compare if the 1,644 figure has gone down, according to the data (post 1447) 50 to 66 % of those dying with CODIV-19 were going to die anyway, but succumbed to the virus. If that's the case the normal average death rate should have dropped.
I am talking about the daily number of deaths not a death rate whats the 1,644 no?

........ I do usually agree with what a lot of Farage says, ......

I've noticed that there is a correlation between the distance from Nigel and the belief which people have in what he says.

Three examples are:
  • The man that sat a metre away from him in the EU Parliament showed a sign that pointed to Farage and said "He's lying to you!". I assume that the man didn't believe whatever Nigel was saying.
  • Trump lives about 3,000 miles away from Farage apparently agrees with whatever he says.
  • Myself, I live about 120 miles away from Nigel and don't believe that a word he says is for the benefit of the UK general public.
I would no more trust this man to tell anyone the truth, than try to fly by flapping my arms!

I am talking about the daily number of deaths not a death rate whats the 1,644 no?
1,644 is the average daily number of deaths in the UK. According to statistics 50 to 66% of those dying of CODIV-19 would have been included in the 1,644. Now if those have been tallied into the CODIV-19 death rates, Then the average death rate should be down by the same amount.

This Government site ...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public#number-of-cases
... states ...

"As of 5pm on 28 March 2020, 1,228 patients in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) have died."

Other reasons may have caused the death of these people, but all 1,228 people tested positive for Covid-19.

From this, one may presume that all other people who died during the same period either were not tested for Covid-19 or did not test positive for Covid-19.

It is an ideal set of numbers to form a Venn Diagram, but I neither have the inclination, or the time, or the raw data from which to prepare one. Sorry.

1,644 is the average daily number of deaths in the UK. According to statistics 50 to 66% of those dying of CODIV-19 would have been included in the 1,644. Now if those have been tallied into the CODIV-19 death rates, Then the average death rate should be down by the same amount.
Sorry I see what you mean now.

I was a bit confused. To clarify, the figure of 1644 is the number who die each year normally, divided by 365. CoV deaths are about 200 a day at present.

I was a bit confused. To clarify, the figure of 1644 is the number who die each year normally, divided by 365. CoV deaths are about 200 a day at present.
1644, is the average daily death rate, the statistics say 50 to 66% of theses will now die of the corona virus so that means taking a median figure, 58%, the average (normal) daily death rate,
should now be 691 or thereabouts.

Speaking to an ex colleague yesterday who had been to Spain a few weeks ago. He told me everything was OK for the first couple of days, but after that
things began closing and the atmosphere changed.
He's home and well now but one of their party (he was with a group of lads) is in an induced coma with covid 19.
Are we in the UK not trying to trace who infected people have been in contact with at all?
He's not been informed by any officials about his friend, who was obviously on the same flight as him testing positive.

There is a lot of **** being extrapolated from statistics. Somewhere underneath it all are the correct figures. But a lot of it is being twisted and misrepresented either deliberately, or mistakenly.
There are deniers who disbelieve anything that they are told and believe their own agenda. They lock on to any obvious misrepresentation and hold it up as a conspiracy.
There are people who believe anything they are told, from almost any source, and are not far from believing the world is going to explode, probably tomorrow.
A segment of the press are sensationalising anything at all to do with the crisis, in an effort to sell more copy.
A segment of government/authority are overplaying their hand to cover up their own failing, and in doing so are adding to the above.

That aside, the real stats are in there somewhere but finding them is very difficult.
My wife works in a slightly outlying London Hospital. Most of their deaths are people with major underlying conditions. It's a bit blunt but the opinion is that a number of these patients were likely to die very soon anyway, Coronavirus jst finished them off.
That however doesn't account for those that are young and fit, who still die from it. Nor..... neighbours in our street(one a Dr) who contracted it and breezed through it very quickly and are now fully recovered.

I just wish:
Conspiracy nuts would just keep it to themselves.
Anxious types wouldn't believe everything they read on the interweb.
The press would stop lying and making s*it up.
Governments would do their job properly rather than prefer to score political profit.

And..... Parcelforce would stop buggering about and just deliver my sodding Malt so I can brew again!

I wish they'd turn the news off the tv in work at lunchtime.

We have two tvs that are always playing the news all day.

It's a total drag.

Back