The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never suggsedted otherwise

But I still think we will still all get it at some point, spreading this over a longer period of time will make it far easier and hpoefully save lots more lives..
Sorry, should've replied to the post you replied to. And I agree, slowing the spread seems to be key

Having looked into this plague thing a little more I think perhaps we should rename the coronavirus 'the pestilence'. It has a much juicer ring to it.

From the guardian virus blog;

"Britons spent an extra 22% on booze in March, with sales of alcohol outperforming those of groceries.

Figures from market research firm Kantar, show that sales of food and other essential items from supermarkets increased by 20.6% over the same period.

The boost came as pubs, clubs and bars were ordered by the government to close on Friday 20 March.

Earlier today, our consumer affairs correspondent Rebecca Smithers reported that in total, UK shoppers made nearly 80m extra grocery trips in the past month – spending almost £2bn more on food and drink than in 2019.

Other countries have taken a different approach to alcohol sales during coronavirus confinement – with the Greenland capital, Nuuk, banning them altogether in an effort to clamp down on domestic violence"

I never suggsedted otherwise

But I still think we will still all get it at some point, spreading this over a longer period of time will make it far easier and hpoefully save lots more lives..

I think that we do not need to get to a point where we all get it.

At the start, you have a set of people who are Unaffected which is the whole population. Over time the set of Unaffected goes down and a new set of Infected goes up. This rumbles on for a while until you get the status of Infected people moving to a new set of either Recovered or Dead people. By isolating and keeping the set of Unaffected people as high as possible the Infected will eventually get to zero at which point there is then no one left to spread the infection.

Effectively this is how the Hubei province in China dealt with it and why it didn't really go much further than there. Of course, people then flying into China with the Virus then caused new outbreaks but the original was contained. I believe Wuhan is officially coming out of restriction on 8 April.

Another waste of space gets his comeuppance.

A man who coughed in the face of a police officer arresting him for assaulting a woman has been jailed.

Police said they were called to an address in Wantage on 24 March to reports a woman had been attacked.

Alex Wood, 37, was arrested at the scene and deliberately coughed in the face of an officer.

Wood, of Bridge End, Dorchester-upon-Thames, Oxfordshire, admitted the assaults at Oxford Magistrates' Court and was jailed for 22 weeks.

The police officer was wearing a protective face mask at the time.

When Wood was asked why he had coughed in his face, he replied that a mask would not stop anything, Thames Valley Police said.

He assaulted the woman in her 30s by grabbing her by the chest and hitting her on the head with a can, police said.

'Absolutely abhorrent'

Ch Insp Matt Bullivant, said: "Wood made this deliberate act, seemingly trying to threaten an officer with potentially contracting something from him.

"This is obviously totally inappropriate behaviour at any time, but particularly at this time of the Covid-19 pandemic."

Craig O'Leary, chairman of Thames Valley Police Federation, said: "Coughing on an officer deliberately in the current climate is completely unacceptable."

He called Wood's actions "absolutely abhorrent" but said such incidents were "very rare".

Wood also pleaded guilty to a charge of criminal damage.

From the guardian virus blog;

"Britons spent an extra 22% on booze in March, with sales of alcohol outperforming those of groceries.

Figures from market research firm Kantar, show that sales of food and other essential items from supermarkets increased by 20.6% over the same period.

The boost came as pubs, clubs and bars were ordered by the government to close on Friday 20 March.

Earlier today, our consumer affairs correspondent Rebecca Smithers reported that in total, UK shoppers made nearly 80m extra grocery trips in the past month – spending almost £2bn more on food and drink than in 2019.

Other countries have taken a different approach to alcohol sales during coronavirus confinement – with the Greenland capital, Nuuk, banning them altogether in an effort to clamp down on domestic violence"

It kinda makes sense as so many food outlets and all the pubs are closed we were bound to spent more on them in the supermarkets. I really despair about the press thesedays, journalists getting paid for stating the bleeding' obvious.

I think I will start my own column. "Beer is wet and if you drink enough you are at risk of getting drunk" :rolleyes:

There seems to be a contradiction in the UK deaths with some saying 400 some 393 and its not clear if the extra 40 known to have died before the lockdown but not so far included in official figures have been added in this number.

Which ever way its not good but as we expected. I think even the idiots apart from the completely stupid conspiracy theory tw%ts
will maybe start and sit up at the figures that are coming out now.
I did notice when coming home at 8.30am that the roads are quieter and we only had 2 tills on out of 6 so maybe the shopping spree is over

Which ever way its not good but as we expected. I think even the idiots apart from the completely stupid conspiracy theory tw%ts
will maybe start and sit up at the figures that are coming out now.
I did notice when coming home at 8.30am that the roads are quieter and we only had 2 tills on out of 6 so maybe the shopping spree is over

I dont know, but perhaps also as more and more people are being laid off, people arent running the supermarket to spend any spare cash they may have?

I dont know, but perhaps also as more and more people are being laid off, people arent running the supermarket to spend any spare cash they may have?
A lot of people who run a tight budget have spent more than they should of when stocking up/panic buying and now the sales are slowing down apart from the idiots that are still shopping nearly every day and believe it or not they are mostly the retired and elderly.
I think a high majority of the elderly are that stubborn in their ways and attitude

eeeeeeee.jpg

A lot of people who run a tight budget have spent more than they should of when stocking up/panic buying and now the sales are slowing down apart from the idiots that are still shopping nearly every day and believe it or not they are mostly the retired and elderly.
I think a high majority of the elderly are that stubborn in their ways and attitude

If you dont have a car you HAVE to shop frequently as you cant carry it all. Im guessing a large proportion of those pensioner who are the supermarkets frequently are in this group of non car owners

Surprise Surprise I would say well over 50% have cars infact the worst offenders are a woman and her brother inlaw who have always done it every day and just will not change their habits, I have told them and a customer heard me on Saturday morning and called him a silly old Bug%$r but to no avail.
They are both not the fittest of people and well in their 70s it beggars belief as they are prime candidates

Also a lot of elderly will live in small flats without much room for storage, an undercounter fridge and so on.

But I don't doubt that stubbornness and habit plays a part in it too - SWMBO is a bit like that, having always lived in city centres she's used to picking up what she needs as and when, whereas I've always tended to do a big shop every 7-10 days.

Mind you, boredom and stir-craze also play their part, many elderly will be living on their own and so shopping's the only opportunity to see other people. SWMBO was even wanting to go to the farm shop today, not because we need anything (although more flour would be nice), just as an excuse to get out!

I'm heading in the right direction, on the mend, just totally exhausted still.

Strangely enough we've got a tesco delivery slot for tomorrow, picked it today. At the time there was about 8 or 9 slots available. I can only imagine that people have been reserving delivery slots and then cancelling closer to the date when they realise they can't eat 8000 calories a day. Either that or they've more drivers/vans, I dunno. I suspect the former.
What with myself been ill, the other half is isolating as well, so delivery a necessity for us.

My missus hasn't shown any symptoms at all, I'd be scared if I was the virus as well :)

Back