The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only it was that simple, you're body is used to much more than nicotine Terry.

Stop repeating that as if it is fact. It isn't. Your body gets addicted to the Nicotine (and only the nicotine) as it engages with two different types of receptors in your brain responsible for making you feel good.

I totally get the psychological dependence and the habit, but the physical addiction is to the nicotine, nothing else. Physical withdrawal lasts approximately 72 hours. After that, it is all about the psychological dependence.

If only it was that simple, you're body is used to much more than nicotine Terry.
You are probably right, since according to Wikipedia, benzene, toluene, arsenic, phenols, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, cadmium and apparently Polonium 210 plus a host of other nasty organic and inorganics are somewhere in there too. ashock1

I gave up about 6 years ago after 42 years, i still miss it and use an ecig best thing i ever did, when i had my op open aortic repair in 2018 i had to go on a bike full face mask and wired like an footballer doing a medical the guy asked me if i cycle i said no, so stopping does help, smoking as left me with mild copd i know an ecig wont help but it helps me leave cigs alone, i will never preach to anyone to give up its personal choice
I tried the ecig for 18 months and ended up in hospital but still just addicted, what works for someone doesn't for others. Annoyingly a doctor once said to me his friends were on the smal champix tablets all the time and some stopped and others cut from 60_80 a day to 5 or ten. It's still better he said so I said yes I'll have them so after a couple of weeks I'd not even thought about another cig. So went for more small ones he said he'd continue to percribe however when I went he'd left the practice and I was told no way. So there is better answers but sadly too costly. E cigs seems the best thing to date but like me not the answer for all.
Anyway it's a corvid 19 thread guys.

How everyone pulls together. This isn't a group but one individual who has taken it upon himself to go around his area erecting signs telling everyone to stay in their own post code. Lots of people have holiday houses and are going there to self isolate. Seems to have ruffled someone feathers, or they are very scared.

oh effing marvellous.
my missus has now got the cough.
to be honest, i'm remarkably surprised she didn't just talk the virus into submission.
Sorry to hear this Bevvied, you must be really worried for her knowing what you yourself went through. Hope she gets through it okay.

If its nicotine you are addicted to as you said earlier, can't you simply use patches or chew gum or whatever folks do as an alternative to smoking to get your nicotine fix. At least you will be giving your lungs a chance.
And not only that, it might be months before you finally succumb to this virus so in the meantime you could try progressively cutting down rather than give up overnight. If you are a 20 a day man and with one less fag per day you could have given up in only three weeks. Think of the money you will save for starters. athumb..
Finally anyone who smokes should have seen what happened to a friend of mine who died last year from progressive and debilitating COPD. But that's another story.
My Father in Law died from COPD and I was there at the end, watching him gasp for every breath like a bloody fish out of water put me off fags for life (I used to smoke 20 a day)
A horrible way to go.

Your more likely to go into shock from suddenly stopping, it's more than than nicotine you body is addicted to, I don't know any long term smoker not to suffer from instant quitting sometimes fatally.
I know, I gave up wanking onto pork pies and the next day I became so faint I had to have an orgy with 5 Fray Bentos pies while they were still in an Iceland freezer.

When the police turned up I was able to sneak away because they were so confused about why tinned pies were in a freezer in the first place.

Seriously, though - that's a typical "I'm fat because me glaaands." mentality and a complete failure of people to admit to their weaknesses. If you don't want to give up fu*king own it and say you don't give a sh*t. That's something I respect. And live by.

I'm a fat alky meat-eater because I'm selfish and don't give a toss enough to stop. I wouldn't even be posting this if I weren't a pisshead. That's not a boast, it's a resignation to it.

I know, I gave up wanking onto pork pies and the next day I became so faint I had to have an orgy with 5 Fray Bentos pies while they were still in an Iceland freezer.

When the police turned up I was able to sneak away because they were so confused about why tinned pies were in a freezer in the first place.

Seriously, though - that's a typical "I'm fat because me glaaands." mentality and a complete failure of people to admit to their weaknesses. If you don't want to give up fu*king own it and say you don't give a sh*t. That's something I respect. And live by.

I'm a fat alky meat-eater because I'm selfish and don't give a toss enough to stop. I wouldn't even be posting this if I weren't a pisshead. That's not a boast, it's a resignation to it.
For once I wish you would just say what you were thinking instead of sitting on the fence !

Sorry @nige if that came over as an attack, it my head it was was actually meant to be girding, like a pep-talk before we leave the duck-boat and go out onto the beach and get shot at by the naaahhziesss. It just looks ranty-mental now. Myihh, I guess I've gotta own it.

Last edited:
The missus is now pretty much as I was I think. she is boiling hot. I've got ice packs on her.
I've never seen her this ill. If one more person (In real life) says it's just a flu conspiracy I think I will explode.

Last edited:
Open windows and give her a cold flannel, plenty water and a fan pal.
I Hope she's OK.

The missus is now pretty much as I was I think. she is boiling hot. I've got ice packs on her.
I've never seen her this ill. If one more person (In real life) says it's just a flu conspiracy I think I will explode.

Have you any idea where you picked it up are family or friends ill, what jobs do you both do?

I read there's a country doing the opposite (think it might be austria but cant remember tbh) They put all the 'normal' patients in nightingale like 'pop up' hospitals and all the covids in the regular hospitals so the all the Drs and Nurses can concentrate on the Covids
That sounds like an elegant solution to me.

How do you solve the problem of an over populated world.

Humans won't even agree on how to start, or even that it is over-populated. Humans have too many "cultural values", rational or otherwise, that they will take to the grave rather than reconsider them.

Stop repeating that as if it is fact. It isn't. Your body gets addicted to the Nicotine (and only the nicotine) as it engages with two different types of receptors in your brain responsible for making you feel good.

I totally get the psychological dependence and the habit, but the physical addiction is to the nicotine, nothing else. Physical withdrawal lasts approximately 72 hours. After that, it is all about the psychological dependence.

Interesting.
I gave up smoking some years ago at the age of 27 because I wanted to run a marathon. I still had the odd dream about smoking for something like five to ten years afterwards (obviously this is a subjective comment, as I did not diarise this).

Latest posts

Back