The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my lord, people on here actually think the government corvid-19 strategy was developed by Dominic Cummings? Seriously? Despite the actual scientists who are responsible for it having gone on record? Actually seriously? You genuinely believe that? aheadbutt
Scientists provide the science, politicians provide the policy. I have a degree from Imperial College, it's where I learnt that scientists make mistakes. I singled out Cummings because of his obnoxious views but if I'm wrong about his advice to ministers then I apologise.

Edited to say I see this discussion has already happened. Did The Sunday Times apologise? And if you can still read after all that head banging there's more here from 3rd April.

Last edited:
I see your trucks are different to ours, ours are a one man band.

They look the business but round here we have very narrow streets full of parked cars and narrow back alleys so they wouldn't really be suitable.

Well, the Missus is mirroring pretty much how I was except she's also lost her sense of smell but her throat isn't as sore as mine was.
I've lost my sense of smell - it happened quite suddenly when I was cooking. added soy sauce to a stir fry and suddenly there was nothing wafting from the pan. I checked the bottle thinking I'd picked up the wrong thing or it was out of date! No other symptoms so far - was that the first symptom for your wife?

I've lost my sense of smell - it happened quite suddenly when I was cooking. added soy sauce to a stir fry and suddenly there was nothing wafting from the pan. I checked the bottle thinking I'd picked up the wrong thing or it was out of date! No other symptoms so far - was that the first symptom for your wife?

I lost my sense of smell 6 years ago after a very heavy cold apparently its quite common - Anosmia: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments

No, the fever hit first, then cough, then the loss of smell.
The fever has broken to something more like a normal flu type temperature now. No breathing difficulties so I'm keeping fingers crossed.

Hope you stay well.

How long does the cough last @Bevvied ? I'm up and and down and not feeling too bad atm, although when I feel hot, I find that swmbo's cold and turned the heating up and visa versa. But the cough is driving me nuts. Once I start, it's uncontrollable and nothing comes up.

How long does the cough last @Bevvied ? I'm up and and down and not feeling too bad atm, although when I feel hot, I find that swmbo's cold and turned the heating up and visa versa. But the cough is driving me nuts. Once I start, it's uncontrollable and nothing comes up.

I still have a cough myself now, but only minor. I think the worst of it lasted for four or five days before the breathing problems started.
Unforunately, what you describe here, is just how it is/was for us two.
"But the cough is driving me nuts. Once I start, it's uncontrollable and nothing comes up"

Good luck, hope it stays minor. Of course we all react differently to this, so please don't hesitate to ring 999 if breathing problems start. In hindsight I should have.

Last edited:
I still have a cough myself now, but only minor.
Unforunately, what you describe here, is just how it is/was for us two.
"But the cough is driving me nuts. Once I start, it's uncontrollable and nothing comes up"

Good luck, hope it stays minor.
Thanks mate, hopefully we'll have some sort of immunity when it's over. On the bright side, my beers lasting ages.

I know that feeling, a shed full of beer conditioning beautifully :)

David Icke is streaming saying it's all a sham to make people dependent on the government for their handouts. He's moving onto 5g later. Jesus, he is either truly mental or just taking money for his crazy theories like half the flat earthers who don't believe it but make cash just like evangelists.

He's saying when 5G reaches 60GHz we will no longer be able to absorb oxygen. People are lapping it up, too.

Last edited:
1586191252549.png

I knew a conspiricy theorist,When he started it was PURELY political.He knew it was cobblers and addmited it but it suited his ends,Which were simply to get people to lose confidence and trust in the "system"
The "system" being education,politics ect.
He hoped to stir people into rebellion and set up websites for that purpose.

However for the last few years he started to belive it himself, Soaking up All and I mean All the rubbish on the internet.
He went totally nuts at the end and was sectioned.
He has now passed away but It confirmed the old addage
Tell a lie often enough and you will begin to belive it yoursef.

This coronavirus is not a joke. It kills people. It is indiscriminate in who it infects, age, gender, colour, class or position in our society. And although it tends to go for folks who have 'underlying health problems' it can still kill the seemingly healthy. You may well catch it and pull through without a problem and that goes for any one of us. And you may well die from it, and that also goes for any one of. And there are health professionals who are treating the seriously ill who may well be risking their own lives in so doing. So what you said was not funny.

I think you need to direct your ire at Bj himself. I'm aware C-19 isnt a joke and I wasnt making one. I really did mean I bet he is regretting shaking hands with corona virus patients. As he boasted about doing it thus giving the impression to the nation that C-19 isnt a serious issue and just washing your hands afterwards would make things ok. BJ even made a joke about making more ventilators calling it 'operation last gasp'. His flippancy has now come back to bite him

https://news.sky.com/video/coronavirus-i-shook-hands-with-everybody-11948548
We now also have a situation whereby people are ignoring government guidlines to stay indoors and social distance. Im sure you're aware BJ isnt the first to 'do as I say, not as I do' as the Scottish Medical advisor has had to resign because we was caught TWICE going to a second home after telling others to stay in. People will look at this behaviour and think, 'if they're not doing it why should I?'
I'm getting the impression that some people think 'rules are for the little people' (Prince Charles/BJ/Scottish MA/Matt Hancock) but of course a virus doesnt care who you are

Last edited:
Death figures will typically rise on trend for around a month after distancing comes into play because of the timescale for infection to deaths taking that long, so anyone getting despondent and thinking it's not working then it's after that you really get to see the change. Two to three weeks from now, plus any complications through intensive care overload. EDIT: aaaaand it pretty much says that in the article so I should have read it... urghhh.

Last edited:
Im wonder what's going to happen when the lockdown stops. Everyone comes out of isolation and (re) infects each other? For the rest of the week (in London at least) the forcast is for sunny, hot weather. This is going to make it extremely difficult for people to resist going outside. Whilst other are flat out ignoring the G'vment directions. I noticed yesterday (as it was hot and sunny) the queues outside the supermarkets and indie shops where huge and on my way into work I've never seen so many joggers. So it's clear that even the people who are following directions are thinking, 'well its sunny I'll go to the shops to buy stuff/go out and excercise and enjoy the sun too (it was pissing it down this morning and thw queues were a lot shorter). Thus inadvertely spreading the virus about.

At times during the winter past (especially when it's been windy and/or raining,) I've cursed the fact I need to cycle 15 miles to work. But the fact that Im a key worker and HAVE to be out on bike for 3 hours is now an absolute godsend

Latest posts

Back