The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got ill Easter last year, a kinda flu bug, went of beer for 3 weeks. Longest I've ever gone without a pint in my adult life.

I had the same thing in November last year. Not for three weeks though. It did occur to me to see how long I could not drink for (that's how I managed to give up smoking), but a world without beer is just too boring to contemplate.

What made it doubly scary was the fact I'd just bought a Grainfather, concical and chiller and had yet to use any of them!

Well the Tories have got every decision wrong so far so why change it now?

Could you list every decision they have made as i am fairly sure they haven't got them all wrong.

Strange how their haters slated them for not locking down quick enough yet it made hardly any difference to the figures when Sweden didn't.

How Sweden suppressed infection rates without a lockdown

Sweden and Denmark took wildly different approaches to handling the coronavirus pandemic - but so far, it hasn't made much difference

They have a similar public trust in government, similar social structures, demographics, and health systems, but wildly different coronavirus strategies.

Denmark locked down hard and early, shutting schools, borders, cafés, restaurants and shops. Sweden has taken a light-touch approach, shutting none of these things, and instead relying on the public's "common sense behaviour".

Last Wednesday, the two countries' health agencies both published their report cards, giving estimates on what difference their contrasting approaches had made to the rate at which the infection is spreading - the famous 'R number'.

The result? Not that much.

Now that useless idiot has told Dr Khan to watch her tone. Defend that Chippy or should I watch my tone.

Now that useless idiot has told Dr Khan to watch her tone. Defend that Chippy or should I watch my tone.

I am not here to defend Boris or the Tories but i do wish when you scattergun the coronavirus threads with your anti Boris posts you would at least do me and the other members the decency of replying to reply's to your post especially when they prove them to be wrong rather than ignore them and moving on to your next anti Boris post..

Take a minute to re-read this thread there seems to be a pattern emerging - How to make a face mask

It would also be helpful if you would paste or link to what you are discussing.

Last edited:
That will force all working parents to stay off to look after them if lockdown is eased.

This is the problem and its going to be a hard balance to strike working or trying to work from hoem with kids is a very difficult. Not sustainable at all. Plus routine and all that is very imprtant for children growing up and all that . LIke I said in posst above my work place are not going to tolerate it forever.

I am not any advocate for coming out of things until we are ready but at the same time I have neevr understood the perception of why its such a controversal opinion on this forum that getting the economy going in some form is important.

I maintain the opinion that this virus will kill more people and ruin more lives from its economical effect long term

I can't and won't say how others feel but i am at a point now were i want to go out, i am retired so i can do mostly what i want i am now in my 7th week of lockdown and am totally fed up with it, i know this might sound daft but i could get in the car right now and just drive to blackpool or anywere thats how i feel, i won't though i really feel for those who are locked down with kids there is no escape for them or a high rise or garden or yard it must be awful, the only thing thats keeping me going along with it is my hobby of brewing well to a certain extent i may even not like beer anymore if it goes on much longer never drank as much in my life or eaten as much

I can't and won't say how others feel but i am at a point now were i want to go out, i am retired so i can do mostly what i want i am now in my 7th week of lockdown and am totally fed up with it, i know this might sound daft but i could get in the car right now and just drive to blackpool or anywere thats how i feel, i won't though i really feel for those who are locked down with kids there is no escape for them or a high rise or garden or yard it must be awful, the only thing thats keeping me going along with it is my hobby of brewing well to a certain extent i may even not like beer anymore if it goes on much longer never drank as much in my life or eaten as much
The way its going when lockdown is eased most people still wont go out as they wont fit through the front door!!

IN all seriousness I train a lot from home anyway but last night I had a great opportunity to go for a run for the first time in weeks and when lockdown first came in it was silent around yesterday I had to dodge so many people.. even say a group of teenages walking down teh canal drinking beers.. I was amazed at how normal it looked and I think a lot of people are just breaking it casually now anyway

This is the problem and its going to be a hard balance to strike working or trying to work from hoem with kids is a very difficult. Not sustainable at all. Plus routine and all that is very imprtant for children growing up and all that . LIke I said in posst above my work place are not going to tolerate it forever.

I am not any advocate for coming out of things until we are ready but at the same time I have neevr understood the perception of why its such a controversal opinion on this forum that getting the economy going in some form is important.

I maintain the opinion that this virus will kill more people and ruin more lives from its economical effect long term

I think they will ask us to wear non surgical type masks when out in public to try to stop the spread until a vaccine is found this would allow some businesses to open but i cannot see how any places where you would need to take the mask off (pubs and other places where you drink or eat) could safely open even with distancing.

The way its going when lockdown is eased most people still wont go out as they wont fit through the front door!!

IN all seriousness I train a lot from home anyway but last night I had a great opportunity to go for a run for the first time in weeks and when lockdown first came in it was silent around yesterday I had to dodge so many people.. even say a group of teenages walking down teh canal drinking beers.. I was amazed at how normal it looked and I think a lot of people are just breaking it casually now anyway

People were phoning 5 live in the last couple of days saying they have never seen so many cars on the road if the government relax the rule on travelling to holiday homes and places where you can walk the dog or walk/run its going to get a lot worse, i feel sorry for people who work in the fuel filling stations they have to take cash and take signed receipts their risk of catching this is going to multiply many times over in the next few weeks.

So the scittish government aren't fineing the scientist Neil Ferguson. Maybe hes already lost enough by standing down. (Whatever this means)
Trouble is hes probably not the only imortant figure but they wont mention a crappy back bencher who you see ranting in the house of lords when all but a few have gone home for tea.

What does everyone think about this latest two fingers up at the law?

Get your vitamin D now and beat last times panic buyers to it, a doctor from an ethnic minority is speaking now on 5 live as i type this saying vitamin D will help fight Covid-19 especially in the EM groups, the shelves will be empty in a couple of days.

Just cycled home and rush hour is more or less back to normal. I think people are hearing the message the lockdown is going to end soon so are thinking, 'seeing as it's ending soon, I may as well go out now'. 649 deaths and 6,111 new cases today. This isnt going to end well

Just cycled home and rush hour is more or less back to normal. I think people are hearing the message the lockdown is going to end soon so are thinking, 'seeing as it's ending soon, I may as well go out now'. 649 deaths and 6,111 new cases today. This isnt going to end well

It could be because people have just realized its a bank holiday friday and are off to stock up? - lets hope.

Just cycled home and rush hour is more or less back to normal. I think people are hearing the message the lockdown is going to end soon so are thinking, 'seeing as it's ending soon, I may as well go out now'

These fuckwits should be made to sit down and read stories like this (from our local paper)

1588785975074.png

1588785884844.png

A GRIEVING daughter has revealed the final tragic photo of her dying mum as an appeal to the public to take coronavirus more seriously.

Deborah Buchanan shared the heartbreaking picture of her mum Joan Wright along with other members of the family at her hospital bedside in Barrow.

Deborah hopes that by speaking out about the death of her 75-year-old mother she will warn people to be more cautious and follow government guidelines so fewer people go through what her family has suffered.

Joan's husband Charles Wright, 80, also contracted the virus and is recovering

“I did not think that this would have been our last family photo together," said Deborah.

“I thought I would make this photo public as I believe people should see it as it is not something you get to see on TV.

"This is the reality of the virus. Wake up and wise up.

“The post has had so many comments and shares on Facebook, it is important that people see this as all we want is to make a difference to someone else to avoid the same thing happening to other people."

Deborah said her dad is now undergoing physiotherapy because he couldn't walk after contracting the virus.

“My dad is now doing well health wise, but not emotionally," he said.

"He no longer has any symptoms of the virus but still testing positive.

“Everything just doesn’t feel real, the days just merge into one. It is all a bit surreal.”

Joan and Charles, originally from Northern Ireland, moved to Cumbria 15 years ago and were in the process of moving back to their homeland when they both contracted coronavirus.

They had planned to spend their last years with their grandchildren who Mrs Wright adored and spoke to on a daily basis before their plan was cut tragically short.

“My mum and dad were a classic love story," said Deborah.

"They were pen pals before they met and have been together for more than 50 years.

“They went to Haverigg on holiday and they said it was so peaceful there, and when they came back they had already put a deposit down on a house.

“Everyone local knew my parents as the wee Irish couple.

"They were well known in shops around where they lived.

"I am still here planning the funeral at the moment and I don’t want to leave dad here by himself.

“Just because you feel healthy doesn’t mean that you are carrying the virus.

"People need to be more cautious and think of others.

“My mum had a heart of gold, she previously worked in a children’s home and always used to say that she wished she could take them all home. She was always thinking of others.

“It is a horrible virus, and it always feels a bit more real every time I speak about her.”

Deborah thanked all the staff at Furness General Hospital and Ward 7 for everything they did for the family.

Attachments

• 1588785945545.png
    1588785945545.png
    207.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Back