The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The flexible furlough has been announced.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak has set out how employers will have to start sharing the cost of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

From August they will have to pay National Insurance and pension contributions, and then 10% of pay from September, rising to 20% in October.

Also, workers will be allowed to return to work part-time from July, but with companies paying 100% of wages.

Mr Sunak said the scheme will adjust so "those who are able to work can do so".

The government is paying 80% of workers' salaries up to £2,500 a month for some 8.4 million workers under the scheme.

It was originally intended to last until the end of July. Earlier this month the chancellor extended the scheme until the end of October, but did not spell out how employers would start contributing.

Under Friday's changes, furloughed workers will continue to get 80% of pay until the end of October but by then, almost a quarter of their salary will have to be met by employers.

"Our top priority has always been to support people, protect jobs and businesses through this crisis," said Mr Sunak. "The furlough and self-employment schemes have been a lifeline for millions of people and businesses."

Employers' claims under the scheme have reached £15bn so far. But the scheme is expected to cost a total of around £80bn, or £10bn a month. The Office for Budget Responsibility is set to publish detailed costings next week.

I think figure is 324.
I'm still surprised with so many deaths, we are easing the lock down - economy argument>health?

Obviously the economy is going to play a part in this decision as it will have cost £80 billion to furlough workers by the time the scheme has finished, I don't see why easing in stages matters as long people stick to the rules and keep 2 meters away from each other etc.

I think figure is 324.

I'm still surprised with so many deaths, we are easing the lock down - economy argument>health?

Deaths are the wrong thing to look at when you're looking at relaxing restrictions as deaths are a lagging indicator. New infections is what you should be looking at (but can't really), hospital admissions are a reasonable proxy though.

"Health" is not just a question of how many people die due to the virus, but other factors like the sometimes severe effects of isolation on health, and all the people not getting cancer treatment etc. And it's obvious that there's a tension between the economy and health - that's completely normal as those calculations have to be made all the time when working what to pay for out of a limited health budget (normally NICE will pay £20k for a quality year of life, sometimes up to £30k or more)

In case someone is thinking about giving up smoking and needing a reason take a look at that. Studies showing twice the chance of needing hospitalisation plus other things.

But giving up gives you brittle bones and makes your limbs swap around and you might end up with a foot where your elbow izzzzz. Yeah, course it does, love.

Even though I understand it I still find it weird that you can price a life.

I remember being amused the first time I saw a table of payouts for a personal injury policy. Since it wasn't intended as life insurance, death was worth as much as losing one of your toes. Except for losing a big toe, which was worth twice as much as dying.

I learnt later it's because losing your big toe really screws up your balance for walking, whereas other toes are more...cosmetic.

I remember being amused the first time I saw a table of payouts for a personal injury policy. Since it wasn't intended as life insurance, death was worth as much as losing one of your toes. Except for losing a big toe, which was worth twice as much as dying.

I learnt later it's because losing your big toe really screws up your balance for walking, whereas other toes are more...cosmetic.

A whole new meaning to 'turning your toes up'?

1590925993049.png

Even though I understand it I still find it weird that you can price a life. Kind of reminds of Germanic weregild

It does seem strange but imagine your country is uber poor there'll be no money for heathcare. A successful economy has the potential to allow a well funded health service. Whether it does or not is a different matter. So if the economy gets trashed how can we afford the NHS. I'd have thought a ring of steel around the vulnerable and allowing more freedom for the rest of the population would have been a reasonable balance. Not sure if any country has been able to pull this off.

Me and mrs DOJ went out for a long walk, we drove a short distance to somewhere we could exercise away from the crowds. At the end of the walk we saw someone coming down the path and stopped to allow 2 meters. - She came up to us less than 1m away and thanked us for stopping for her... aheadbuttaheadbuttaheadbutt

are we allowed to shoot the stupid?

1590930591987.png

Hundreds of people were at an unlicensed party in east London, breaching lockdown rules.

Met Police officers were called to Springfield Estate in Clapton at about 21:00 BST where a large number of people had gathered.

Footage shows a DJ booth was set up and those who attended were not socially distancing by keeping two metres apart.

A small number of arrests were made for various offences and a Taser was used on one person who was arrested.

Offences included assault on an emergency worker and breach of the peace.

Police in Hackney said hundreds of people were at the party which was dispersed by 01:30.

Current government rules state people may see one other person who was not from their household as long as it was outside with socially distancing.

View attachment 26820

Hundreds of people were at an unlicensed party in east London, breaching lockdown rules.

Met Police officers were called to Springfield Estate in Clapton at about 21:00 BST where a large number of people had gathered.

Footage shows a DJ booth was set up and those who attended were not socially distancing by keeping two metres apart.

A small number of arrests were made for various offences and a Taser was used on one person who was arrested.

Offences included assault on an emergency worker and breach of the peace.

Police in Hackney said hundreds of people were at the party which was dispersed by 01:30.

Current government rules state people may see one other person who was not from their household as long as it was outside with socially distancing.

Not a surprise. The park across the road was so full of people for the past three days you'd think they were holding glastonbury in it. Mrs MQ reported when she went out for here run in the park there's rubbish absolutely everywhere from people having drinks gatherings and barbeques.

Mrs MQ said something interesting to me about this when we were talking about it. The park is completely surrounded by flats noone has a garden so everyone in the surrounding area goes in the park

Not a surprise. The park across the road was so full of people for the past three days you'd think they were holding glastonbury in it. Mrs MQ reported when she went out for here run in the park there's rubbish absolutely everywhere from people having drinks gatherings and barbeques.

Mrs MQ said something interesting to me about this when we were talking about it. The park is completely surrounded by flats noone has a garden so everyone in the surrounding area goes in the park
It was two streets away from where my son lives. He says he couldn't hear anything but there was a Helecopter above his flat for 30 minutes.

Latest posts

Back