The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me and mrs DOJ went out for a long walk, we drove a short distance to somewhere we could exercise away from the crowds. At the end of the walk we saw someone coming down the path and stopped to allow 2 meters. - She came up to us less than 1m away and thanked us for stopping for her... aheadbuttaheadbuttaheadbutt

are we allowed to shoot the stupid?
Not enough bullets

Lakes police said they would ticket them and they have today clapa

EZWu_6SWoAEZWFH

Track and trace, if you get the call to isolate for 14 days how are you going to know its not not malicious?

All i have heard so far is that the team that will call are professionals and highly trained that doesn't fill me with confidence.

Word is islands are staying lock down for another 2 months. Thank god, seeing what is going on elsewhere. Truly lemming like behavior. I feel so sorry for the services having to sort it out after giving so much,,,, aheadbutt without recognition other than a cheer. Scandalous really that we are a human embarrassment like USA. :confused.:

And the actual amount of deaths was....

Well, the difference in figures is because

"The reason for the difference in these two figures is to do with how deaths are being incorporated into historic data retrospectively.
Yesterday’s cumulative total announced by the Department of Health was 38,489, which is 556 below today’s cumulative total of 39,045.
But since yesterday, 445 deaths have been added to the historic data.
These additional deaths are linked to cases that have been identified through testing that has been carried out by commercial partners, rather than testing that has been done in NHS and Public Health England laboratories.
Rather than include these 445 deaths in today’s increase, the Department of Health has incorporated them within the previous cumulative total, to create a notional total for yesterday of 38,934 (38,489 + 445).
The difference between this notional total of 38,934 and today’s total of 39,045 is 111, and this is the one being reported by the government.
UPDATE: And here is the explanation from the Department for Health and Social Care. A spokesperson said:
A further change to the reporting process was introduced on 1 June 2020 and affected data from 24 May onwards. Deaths linked to cases identified through ‘pillar 2’ testing (see ‘Total and daily UK cases’ section on this page) are included as well as ‘pillar 1’ cases. All deaths before 24 May 2020 of people who tested positive through ‘pillar 2’ testing are included in the reported daily figure for 24 May 2020.
This change resulted in an additional 445 deaths being included (as at 1 June 2020).
Updated at 6.11pm BST

So it seems there's a difference in the way the Government now count the figures and Worldometer are still using the 'old' way

Last edited:
I am not a fan of people comparing deaths to otehr countries like is a league table.. the other problem is a lot of countries do not log them the same.

When the breakout in Russia flared up a few weeks ago they recoreded soemthing like 120 deaths directly from covid and 900+ deaths that day from phenumonia. Whereas if I understand correctly in UK if you are suspected to have had it and its on the death certicicate its logged.

It is a shame that countries almost try to hide poor people who have died.

IF you take into account the Dept of H&SC have change the way they count the figures
But they are historical figures. If we were discussing the total number of people, that would be different. However the number of people who sadly passed away yesterday is 111; neither method disputes that. So, despite the bank holiday, the daily number of deaths is reassuringly low.

Well this is good news. But why change the way they count the figures? They've announced they've changed the way they count them but not why (if any one has a source for this I'd be interested to see it.). Is because of the science or because of a more politically motivated reason? We don't know because the Government haven't told us

But they are historical figures. If we were discussing the total number of people, that would be different. However the number of people who sadly passed away yesterday is 111; neither method disputes that. So, despite the bank holiday, the daily number of deaths is reassuringly low.

And this is the problem. I'm not good enough with figures of really analyze them in depth. For me personally it probably doesnt matter too much I dont think. But for others it certainly will. If I was in the shielding group I'd be really worried because the Government said yesterday that they are allowed out. BUT they have to make their own decision if they did so. So looking at the Government figures and other sources (such as the linked worldometer) theirs a big difference. So if your in the shielding group you have to make a decision which is potentially life threatening based on information which has recently changed for an unknown reason.

The Government have got form for this kind of thing. They previously weren't including care home deaths in the figures (fortunately they do now). If your clever enough you can do anything with figures. It's one thing scoring political points but quite another when you have to make a potentially life threatening decision based on figures given out

Last edited:
To be honest, I would argue that SAGE have actually been totally transparent in reporting what they are recording, to be honest. Every time they find a recording anomaly, they say what it is and adjust accordingly. With the care homes, as I understand it, originally they didn't have that data, so they couldn't report on it. Once they had a system in place to gather that data, they started including it. Likewise, with the tier 2 data.

Compare that with other countries, let's take Italy for example. Their 'death' rate only includes those who died in a hospital setting. So when their healthcare system was overwhelmed, and they were turning patients away, any that subsequently died wouldn't have been counted. Ditto care homes. This is one of the reasons our death rate figure looks so high ~ we are counting anyone in any setting now, that has covid recorded as a factor of the death certificate.

To be honest, I would argue that SAGE have actually been totally transparent in reporting what they are recording, to be honest. Every time they find a recording anomaly, they say what it is and adjust accordingly. With the care homes, as I understand it, originally they didn't have that data, so they couldn't report on it. Once they had a system in place to gather that data, they started including it. Likewise, with the tier 2 data.

Compare that with other countries, let's take Italy for example. Their 'death' rate only includes those who died in a hospital setting. So when their healthcare system was overwhelmed, and they were turning patients away, any that subsequently died wouldn't have been counted. Ditto care homes. This is one of the reasons our death rate figure looks so high ~ we are counting anyone in any setting now, that has covid recorded as a factor of the death certificate.

I think the Government are learning that the public dont like being kept in the dark or being made fools of (this is why I think the Cummings scandal has gotten so much 'cut through'

Well the ONS figures dont look good. Being **** at maths Im taking this at face value. Im sure more numerate formites may be able to dissect figures given in the article

UK coronavirus death toll nears 50,000, latest official figures show

"The UK’s death toll from Covid-19 is on the brink of exceeding 50,000, according to the latest official figures, confirming Britain’s status as one of the world’s worst hit countries by the pandemic that has claimed around 375,000 lives globally.

The Office for National Statistics said that in England and Wales alone, 43,837 people died from Covid-19 up to 22 May, an increase of 2,589 on the previous week when the total stood at 41,220."

Back