The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, does the CML ale yeast carb up as fast as it ferments in the primary? I was thinking of leaving the King Keg in the water bath at 20 degrees for just a week, then putting it somewhere cooler to condition, so as to free up the water bath for my next brew. Do you think that is sufficient time for it to chomp through the 90g or so of priming sugar?

So, does the CML ale yeast carb up as fast as it ferments in the primary? I was thinking of leaving the King Keg in the water bath at 20 degrees for just a week, then putting it somewhere cooler to condition, so as to free up the water bath for my next brew. Do you think that is sufficient time for it to chomp through the 90g or so of priming sugar?

I've found it to, yes.

I've found it to, yes.

I'll second that. Also, I've found all the CML yeasts I've used to clear with amazing rapidity. I bottled a batch on Tuesday just gone and I've just checked it. It is as clear as a crystal. Hmm... might sample some later. Is 5 days in the bottle too early? Nah.

Just wondering how fast the CML ale yeast ferments typically?

Used it for the first time last weekend and it went off like a rocket, was bubbling the airlock within 6 hours. Just had a large delivery from Malt Miller so keen to get the next brew on, I'd normally wait a min of 14 days but seems like this may be done.

Used it for the first time last weekend and it went off like a rocket, was bubbling the airlock within 6 hours. Just had a large delivery from Malt Miller so keen to get the next brew on, I'd normally wait a min of 14 days but seems like this may be done.

I did a brew on Wednesday, OG1058, used CML Real Ale yeast, and it's now down to one bubble every 30 seconds thru' the submerged vent tube. That's fast, but it'll still get a minimum of 2 weeks in the FV.

My first brew with it looked like all activity had finished within a few days, but I first tested the gravity after one week and it was at 1012, which is where it is now after 2 weeks. Still think it's worth leaving it the usual 2 weeks to clean up.

Thanks for the info. Based on that I dropped the hydrometer in and the latest brew (Harvey's Sussex Bitter clone) has gone from 1044 to 1010 in a week. Gonna leave it another week as it's still a bit murky and I haven't got time to bottle this weekend, but at least I can free up the water bath for another brew. :)

Thanks for the info. Based on that I dropped the hydrometer in and the latest brew (Harvey's Sussex Bitter clone) has gone from 1044 to 1010 in a week. Gonna leave it another week as it's still a bit murky and I haven't got time to bottle this weekend, but at least I can free up the water bath for another brew. :)

Even though it might be murky in the FV, I've found it to clear very quickly in the bottle (couple of days)

Would be very interested to know how this came out:thumb:

Did a black ipa started at 1054 and it was down to 1010 in 4 days. Used CML US yeast.

Has anyone tried the Lille saison? Sounds like it may not be as attenuative as most saison yeasts.

The kolsch yeast I really like not so mad about the kristalweizen and the Belgian was alright although I will need to give it a second go as I fermented way too low due to muppetry on my behalf.

Has anyone tried the Lille saison? Sounds like it may not be as attenuative as most saison yeasts.

The kolsch yeast I really like not so mad about the kristalweizen and the Belgian was alright although I will need to give it a second go as I fermented way too low due to muppetry on my behalf.

I have a saison made with Saison De Lille yeast fermenting at the moment, and no I'm not overly impressed. It's either slowed right down, or about done at approx 65% attenuation:-

Pitched 21/10 OG 1.045
2/11 1.016
12/11 1.015

Been fermenting at 21 degrees C though, could be it prefers warmer or something.

Tastes good though, just not necessarily like a proper saison (I wouldn't really know as only had Electric India... lol).

I plan in the future to do a saison using the Mangrove Jacks French Saison to compare.

I have a saison made with Saison De Lille yeast fermenting at the moment, and no I'm not overly impressed. It's either slowed right down, or about done at approx 65% attenuation:-

Pitched 21/10 OG 1.045
2/11 1.016
12/11 1.015

Been fermenting at 21 degrees C though, could be it prefers warmer or something.

Tastes good though, just not necessarily like a proper saison (I wouldn't really know as only had Electric India... lol).

I plan in the future to do a saison using the Mangrove Jacks French Saison to compare.

Belle Saison is one of the best dry yeasts, I did a rhubarb saison and it was dry as a bone, which is how it should be. It finished at 1.002, plenty of esters too even though I never fermented at higher temperatures.

Belle Saison is one of the best dry yeasts, I did a rhubarb saison and it was dry as a bone, which is how it should be. It finished at 1.002, plenty of esters too even though I never fermented at higher temperatures.
I'll have to give it a go, thanks.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

Same experience here, started at 1.060, finished at 1.020. Tried stirring, upping temp all the way to 30c, nothing......after a couple of weeks of inactivity have put a pack of mangrove jack's Saison yeast in and is us fermenting away, down to 1.010 and is continuing to ferment.

As mentioned elsewhere, it did taste good, but attenuation was very poor.

Have used their Kolsch yeast and very happy with that. Have a couple of others also.

Wouldn't recommend the Saison, based on my experience and the fact that others are experiencing the same, it would appear.

Same experience here, started at 1.060, finished at 1.020. Tried stirring, upping temp all the way to 30c, nothing......after a couple of weeks of inactivity have put a pack of mangrove jack's Saison yeast in and is us fermenting away, down to 1.010 and is continuing to ferment.

As mentioned elsewhere, it did taste good, but attenuation was very poor.

Have used their Kolsch yeast and very happy with that. Have a couple of others also.

Wouldn't recommend the Saison, based on my experience and the fact that others are experiencing the same, it would appear.
I bought 2 packets of the MJs French Saison at the same time as the CML. I saved it though as was my first attempt at an AG brew.

Flavour is delicious, lovely and refreshing (electric India Clone) from tasting trial jar, but yeah not dry enough.

I'd recommend the recipe happily, but not the yeast either. Oh well, only got 1 other packet.... Lmao

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried the Lille saison?
I did a brew on last week, start 1,052, Lille Saison yeast. After week 1,018, it’s very high for saison :doh: Beer fermenting at 22-24. Now the temperature is 25, maybe will a little better. Disgusting yeast. Danstar Belle Saison was much better.

It seems the only CML yeast that hasnt had rave reviews is the saison one.

The fact that the CML yeasts are so cheap means that they are getting a thorough testing by everyone. Which can only be a good thing

Latest posts

Back