The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve just started a brew with the saison yeast. First time using the CML so fingers crossed.
When rehydrating the yeast sank straight through the water. Mangrove jack and fermentis tend to float until stirred in.
Sure it doesn’t matter, just an observation.

I observed the same phenomenon with the Belgian yeast! In fact, when I went to give it a stir with my thermometer, the damn thing almost snapped cos the yeast sank to the bottom of the cup with the consistency of blu-tack! Beer turned out great tho' in the usual CML way.

I cant imagine many places produce yeast, I presumed CML just got there yeast from somewhere that produced for other brands.
Like wilko and notty. Seems not though as its obviously different.
Looking forward to trying my first beer with the yeast. And as everyone says "it went off like a rocket!".
Theres also a lovely bready malty aroma in my brew shed. Never had a yeast give off such strong aromas to get out the fridge and sent my man cave..

I observed the same phenomenon with the Belgian yeast! In fact, when I went to give it a stir with my thermometer, the damn thing almost snapped cos the yeast sank to the bottom of the cup with the consistency of blu-tack! Beer turned out great tho' in the usual CML way.

Getting along with the phenolics then, Gunge?

I brewed a Chinook/Citra APA a couple weeks back and split the batch 50/50 between US-05 and CML US yeast.

I fermented both at 20C. The US05 beer was textbook US05, clean, 12-24 hour lag time and a steady fermentation which lasted around 5/6 days. The resulting beer produced no noticeable esters and was everything i thought it'd be. Interestingly, aroma-wise it was quite considerably more piney then the CML beer.

The CML beer took off within 8 hours and fermented insanely fast and agressively (2/3 days). However, the resulting beer was nowhere near as clean ester-wise as the US05 beer. To be honest i'm going to dump it, as its riddled with fusel alcohols and esters, no doubt a result of the agressive fermentation which obviously produces a ton of heat. Interestingly, the CML beer was superior aroma-wise, and came across as more tropical fruit, backed up by pine.

If i were to use CML again, i think i'd ferment it at 16/17C.

Nice write up RKi. What was the gravity of that beer out of interest?

I brewed a Chinook/Citra APA a couple weeks back and split the batch 50/50 between US-05 and CML US yeast.

I fermented both at 20C. The US05 beer was textbook US05, clean, 12-24 hour lag time and a steady fermentation which lasted around 5/6 days. The resulting beer produced no noticeable esters and was everything i thought it'd be. Interestingly, aroma-wise it was quite considerably more piney then the CML beer.

The CML beer took off within 8 hours and fermented insanely fast and agressively (2/3 days). However, the resulting beer was nowhere near as clean ester-wise as the US05 beer. To be honest i'm going to dump it, as its riddled with fusel alcohols and esters, no doubt a result of the agressive fermentation which obviously produces a ton of heat. Interestingly, the CML beer was superior aroma-wise, and came across as more tropical fruit, backed up by pine.

If i were to use CML again, i think i'd ferment it at 16/17C.

This is pretty much what I have been saying lately about CML yeasts. Basically those who love them usually (not always) have temperature controlled fermentation, and get spot on results. Those who don't have this, well odds are you can get better results with a different dried yeast. I've observed the same results with folks using SO-4 too, with people loving it when using temp control, whilst folks fermenting at room temp not liking it so much. Obviously for yeasts that you ferment warm this isn't an issue, which is why I was very happy with my wheat beer that I used CMl Kristallweisen yeast for.

I started out with CML yeasts, but kept thinking the flavour wasn't quite right. So I tried Mangrove Jack's yeasts, and preferred the flavour. I ferment at room temperature though, as I don't have temp control yet. My go to for British styles is Liberty Bell now, M29 French Saison for Saisons (the CML yeast just didn't attenuate, but may need to be fermented even higher than I did!). I've yet to try an alternative for US styles as I haven't brewed one in a while. When I do get a fermentation fridge set up finally, odds are I'll go back to CML yeasts (I have loads left in the fridge.... lol) as they really are a great price for the performance you get. Brilliant bang for your buck so to speak.

Oh and as to wheat beer, if I DO ever do another it's going to have to be with a neutral yeast sadly. :doh: My wife HATED the banana flavour from the Kirstallweisen yeast, which I loved. :( No point brewing beer that only I will drink as I don't drink that much. lol

Horses for courses and all that. You have to pick the yeast to suit your circumstances it seems.

I'm still not sure about the cml US Pale.
I said earlier that I was having problems pouring as the yeast in the bottle disturbed very easily. On Sunday I brought 2 bottles in from the garage. They have been carbonated in the warm for just over a week then in my garage for at least a month, sitting side by side on a shelf. They have been in my living room since Sunday.
I poured one on Wednesday night and had the usual problem of having to leave at least an inch in the bottle to get a clear drink in the glass. Last night, I poured the other and managed to pour just about all the beer from the bottle before any yeast went into the glass (which is what I'm used to happening). I hope that this latter bottle is going to be representative of the bottles remaining, in which case, the yeast needs a while to pack down in the bottle and needs to be brought back into the warm for a few days before opening. Fingers crossed.

Do you transfer to a bottling bucket before bottling? I find this helps in particular with the CML pale yeast...there's virtually no yeast on the bottom of my ready to drink beers and I usually leave about a cm in the bottom.
I've used both a brew fridge and heat pad and find the CML yeast fine..but I do go with the bottom end temp with the ale and pale yeast. Only done one with the krystalweisen,an American wheat and it was really good. .bubble gum flavours..

Yes, I use a bottling bucket. You can only just see a thin layer of yeast at the bottom of each bottle (as is the case with other yeasts I've used) but opening the bottle and pouring disturbs it very quickly so that it is difficult to get a clean pour. It has been a case of leave a lot in the bottle or drink a cloudy pint which is a shame because the bottles have cleared very well.

I'm just hoping that I've now found out how to treat the bottles before opening or it's now packing down solidly!

I've used the cml Kolsch yeast and that was really good - probably my clearest brew ever.

It's also not my pouring technique as I manage to leave less than 0.5cm at the bottom of a bottle when using US-05 and MJ44.

To give you an idea of how long it takes for the yeast to settle for me (yup, I batch prime in a bottling bucket), the Witbier I brewed on 19/12 last year is JUST pouring without the yeast trying to leave the bottle. The summer ale I bottled on the 17/12 last year I still have to be careful and [edit to fix typo]leave[/edit] a bit in the bottle, but it's getting close now.... lol

I usually have to ferment at 20-22 degrees C (and that's the ambient temperature, so the beer will be getting warmer than that during fermentation) which is far too high for a lot of yeasts. Hence I decided to explore other brands, and found M36 does the job for me until I can get something sorted. I don't often do US styles, so don't really need a US style yeast right now. I mostly seem to brew Belgian styles (most of which like the higher temps) and British styles (which M36 does nicely) these days. :thumb1: Saison is slowly becoming our house style to be honest, I can't keep up with how fast my Mrs drinks it!!!:bow:

Last edited:
My last few youngs have really come good after being bottled for around 5 months! Is it a style that generally requires a good ageing?

Pretty difficult to give anything a good ageing in this household.... The minute the bottles go solid (I use PET bottles for ease) my wife is hovering over them drooling.... lol Luckily my last Saison has been delicious from the start, and just changes to give a different enjoyable flavour as it ages, gotta love dry hopping US hops into a Belgian beer style.... :beer6:

Latest posts

Back