The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it the Kolsch V2 one? Just tracked that down. I will say though he seemed to be expecting a lager using a Kolsch yeast. So could be he just had overly high expectations.

That said, it's not easy criticising such a popular yeast, it comes with a heavy dose of feeling like the little boy announcing to the crowd that the emperor is in the altogether..... As mentioned in that vid, they're really nice lads, and you certainly can't complain about their prices. You really do need to try some different yeasts though before you judge them. It took me trying the M36 Liberty Bell to realise how poor the results I got from CML Real Ale were. The CML Real Ale yeast I get a strange after taste tainting the beer, I don't get this with the M36 at all.

I knew straight off that the Saison De Lille had under-attenuated (Electric India clone, made with pilsen malt, that we named Saison De Quirm), BUT the beer was positively delicious! The Saison With Avec I made with M29 however was even nicer still and still is, starting out as a rather delicious tropical fruit flavoured beer thanks to the mosaic dry hop, metamorphosing into one with quite a nice grapefruit, honey and lemon flavour as the mosaic dry hop has faded and the Amarillo hops and the yeast esters and honey have become more apparent, with much better attenuation.

The wheat I did, well my wife hated it, and it took way longer than most folks reckon for the banana to come through from the CML Kristallweizen yeast. I found it absolutely delicious though, a nice light easy drinking beer. I gave some to my future son in law however, and he was very underwhelmed by it, complaining that it lacked flavour... So yeah.... He'd just tasted the Saison With Avec though, a very flavour rich beer.... lol

The US Pale Ale yeast, I haven't tried an alternative yeast yet. The beers I made with it though had a sourness in the background, and literally never cleared, no matter how long they were conditioned for. I don't really do US style (deliberately) beers though to be honest, hence I haven't tried out any alternative US yeasts.

The Belgian Ale yeast, well so far I am happy with the results. It's still very early days, but my Patersbier went from 1.046/1.047 down to 1.010 in 4 days. Thing is though, I am pretty certain that it then stopped there. That's only 77.5% attenuation, which when you look at other Belgian Ale style yeasts is rather low for the style. Again though, early tasting has been nice. No trace of the banana others report though, I ended up fermenting at 24 degrees C though and it does have pleasant hints of spice in there. So far though, it's hard telling it apart from their Kristallweizen yeast, and I can't believe that that is a good thing to be honest. I racked it to secondary though to clean up, so it may find a second lease of life... If it does go banana though, like the wheat one did after a couple of weeks in the bottle, it will be getting replaced with either M41 or maybe T58 for future Belgian brews, my wife really hates banana flavour when it's not coming from an actual banana....

I haven't tried the Kolsch yeast. I have no temperature control, so have been hesitant to try brewing one. I have a packet of the yeast in the fridge.

So yeah, I have quite a lot of CML yeasts left in the fridge that won't be getting used. At some point for example I'll probably be giving away 5 packets of Real Ale yeast, as I won't be using them.

Really interesting response, thanks Ade !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell you what,the Pale Ale yeast is rapid!
They must have a nutrient in there
It certainly does ferment out fast.
On that note has anyone got advice on when to dry hop with a yeast which typically for me gets to target between 3 - 5 days?
Should I be dry hopping earlier than my usual day 9 - 10?

I guess if you need beer quicker than normal cml is the yeast to go for as by the sounds of it, you could possibly bottle/keg after a week or ten days.

Is there a chance that if yeast is too quick at reaching the FG then the flavours are compromised?

It certainly does ferment out fast.
On that note has anyone got advice on when to dry hop with a yeast which typically for me gets to target between 3 - 5 days?
Should I be dry hopping earlier than my usual day 9 - 10?

I think if youve got two same readings of the FG and its past the five day mark which you mentiom by all means do your dry hop.
10 days isnt unusual for some home brewer's to rack theyre beer

I think if youve got two same readings of the FG and its past the five day mark which you mentiom by all means do your dry hop.
10 days isnt unusual for some home brewer's to rack theyre beer

Thanks for the reply. I normally leave in the Fv for at least 2 weeks but the cml pale yeast works faster than anything I’ve used before.
I would leave for the 2 weeks but I’m worried the dry hop won’t be as effective on day 9 - 10 after the initial fermentation has completely finished.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the Belgian yeast? I've unearthed a munton hand crafted belgian ale kit in my garage...it's a shame to waste it. I'm thinking of swapping out the yeast. The kit has a bag of dried malt with it and the instructions say after initial fermentation you rack it to another fv with the malt extract...Wonder if it would be worth subbing out the malt with candy sugar or syrup? I plan to make this and bottle then leave til Christmas. It gets mixed reviews as a kit ....9 months should help it....hopefully!

Apart from one brew with S-04, and one with recovered Fullers yeast, CML is all I've used for the last 18 months or so. Think I might be getting a little yeast-blind. Never tried any of the MJ ones so thanks for the above Ade... I'll give some a try. But they are soooo expensive!
Did you like the Fullers Yeast enough to want to go through the hassle again of culturing it? Or does the CML Real Ale Yeast give you all you want?
I am drinking a golden ale hoped with cascade and i used Fullers Yeast, it worked well. It adds a nice fruitiness and the very thin layer of yeast in the bottle stuck like **** to a blanket.
I may well make it my house yeast.

Has anyone used the Belgian yeast? I've unearthed a munton hand crafted belgian ale kit in my garage...it's a shame to waste it. I'm thinking of swapping out the yeast. The kit has a bag of dried malt with it and the instructions say after initial fermentation you rack it to another fv with the malt extract...Wonder if it would be worth subbing out the malt with candy sugar or syrup? I plan to make this and bottle then leave til Christmas. It gets mixed reviews as a kit ....9 months should help it....hopefully!

I used it in my Patersbier (Wen's Lunch), and so far it's a CML yeast that I CAN recommend without hesitation. I haven't even bottled it yet, and it's absolutely delicious! Pretty sure it's crystal clear too (I need to check a sample in a colourless transparent glass to be sure). No banana so far, and hoping it stays that way (else my wife will condemn it to never been brewed again... lol). If it continues to taste as good, it'll go on my list as my go to Belgian yeast (so long as no banana). I fermented at 25 degrees C, and it went from 1.046 to 1.009, so nearly 80% apparent attenuation. No simple sugars used, just Dingemans Pilsen malt and hops.

I wonder if they are intending you to feed the yeast by adding sugar through the process rather than having a very high gravity up front. I’d reckon if you sub out for CML Belgian Yeast you wouldn’t need to worry about that. What would the OG be with the dry malt added?

Instructions say to ferment the two tins to 1014 then rack to a clean fv,add the malt and a cup of trub from the first fv then ferment out to 1006. It gives a beer of 7.5%. Yeast supplied is a belgian saison 6g....I suspect subbing out the yeast may be a better option...

Yeh I wouldn’t bother with that faff. I’d bung it all in and sub the yeast. You could consider making Candi sugar to replace the malt

I brewed a 6% belgium style stout and came out good. Much better than the beer made with the English pale.

I brewed a Brewferm Christmas Ale with half a pack of the cml Belgian yeast. I mentioned earlier about the phenols and esters which I smelled when it was fermenting and when I bottled it. I haven't tried it yet so not sure if they've mellowed.

I was drinking a Grimbergen Tripel last night and the smell from that was similar to the smells produced by the cml Belgian yeast.

So, my Bobeck IPA has been in the keg now for 5 weeks. It has that dreaded yeasty sourness that I got with my last CML yeast. It isn't undrinkable by any means, but its there. Interestingly, my much younger old ale that was also a mini mash modified kit but using MJ Liberty Bell doesn't, so it doesn't look like its my kit, or temp control or something. This might be a complete coincidence, but I won't be using my remaining supply of CML Yeasts (1 Real Ale, 1 US Pale and 1 Cali Common) just in case.

So, my Bobeck IPA has been in the keg now for 5 weeks. It has that dreaded yeasty sourness that I got with my last CML yeast. It isn't undrinkable by any means, but its there. Interestingly, my much younger old ale that was also a mini mash modified kit but using MJ Liberty Bell doesn't, so it doesn't look like its my kit, or temp control or something. This might be a complete coincidence, but I won't be using my remaining supply of CML Yeasts (1 Real Ale, 1 US Pale and 1 Cali Common) just in case.

That sourness has literally only just started to condition out of my Cascade summer ale that I made at the end of November last year... The sediment has finally started to stay put too, but still get a small quantity of dark coloured **** that comes up the bottle towards the end of the pour.

Liberty Bell seems to be very tolerant of warmer fermentation, in my experience, and is my go to yeast for most British styles now.

The CML Belgian yeast seems to create a VERY spicy beer, with a lot of funk to it. I need to let it condition more though before I pass final judgement, but so far I'm not overly keen. I've not used any other Belgian (other than Saison) yeasts to compare to yet though. It was actually nicer tasting BEFORE I bottled it.. lol Not a hint of banana so far though, just a shed load of spice that kinda knocks your head off. I fermented fairly warm though (about 25 degrees C).

In all seriousness though, it's cheap enough yeast that if you don't like it just don't use it. Walk away before you "ruin" any more beer with it. ;)

I've used both the CML Real Ale and US Pale yeasts. Can't say I'm overly impressed with either. It did really well in hitting my FG target both brews, but the jury is out on the flavour it imparts.

I pitched onto 90% of a yeast cake from a kolsch brewed with 2 packs. Its sat at 14c and less than 24 hours later its going nuts. I am sure this yeast will ferment even lower if you use enough. Seems far more aggressive than the lager yeasts i have been using, has a very similar flavour profile and also does not produce diacetyl.
I think i am going to try and make a very pale IPA fermented at 12c with 3 packs of us pale with a similar water profile.

Not yeast but malt... they've been saying for a while that malt will be here in March. Well seeing as it's March I've just gone to check and now it's coming in April. Hope it's not like global warming - always in the future.

Not yeast but malt... they've been saying for a while that malt will be here in March. Well seeing as it's March I've just gone to check and now it's coming in April. Hope it's not like global warming - always in the future.

Sounds like the classic Soon™...

I stopped bothering with them to be honest. They're good blokes and everything, but I don't much like their yeast, and I try to only use whole hops now which they don't sell, so had to look elsewhere. I have to keep swapping and changing supplier as it is, when I find that my usual only has the hop I want in pellets.... lol

Latest posts

Back