The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello! After moving home I'm not set up for grain at the moment so I'm doing a couple of old kits that came with me. i've got 2 Mangrove Jack's 'Craft Series' Pils pouches. They are 1 year over their date. Should I use use the m-54 yeast that comes with them using both packs in a starter or, if not, what's the best Crossmyloof yeast (I have a bunch of different ones that are fresh in the fridge). I also have a couple of Wilko sachets (Notty?)

I don't have the ability to control fermentation temperatures at the moment. Fermentation will happen in a room that's around 18 C during the day and a couple of degrees cooler at night.

They'll be done in buckets then go into a King Keg.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hello! After moving home I'm not set up for grain at the moment so I'm doing a couple of old kits that came with me. i've got 2 Mangrove Jack's 'Craft Series' Pils pouches. They are 1 year over their date. Should I use use the m-54 yeast that comes with them using both packs in a starter or, if not, what's the best Crossmyloof yeast (I have a bunch of different ones that are fresh in the fridge). I also have a couple of Wilko sachets (Notty?)

I don't have the ability to control fermentation temperatures at the moment. Fermentation will happen in a room that's around 18 C during the day and a couple of degrees cooler at night.

They'll be done in buckets then go into a King Keg.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
The kolsch and the cali common are good in my view, but Pavros' advice is helpful. The wilko / nottty would be fine too in my opinion, some people use it for a pseudo lager. I certainly think it has it's uses, and it sticks to the bottom of the bottle like the proverbial sticks to a blanket

Have been using the CML yeasts for almost a year now. The ale yeast is very good leaves a nice mild fruit aroma in the finished beer, the pale ale yeast is good, but seems to leave a bit of a sharp tang. I always re hydrate, and ferment in a brew fridge. I have a Cooper's bootmaker pale ale on at the moment, as it was recommended to me by a mate. Never done a Coopers kit before, when I re hydrated the yeast it sank straight to the bottom of my little pitching jar, Us-05, cml always float. Pitched the yeast at 21 degrees, totally dead after 24 hours (dead yeast) pitched a CML ale yeast and we had action after 5 hours. Never had a yeast do what the Cooper's did, and CML saved the day.

Just as a quick update, although as stated earlier in this thread, I didn't get on with either the Real Ale or US Pale CML yeasts, I've just done a Kentucky Common with their California Common yeast and it's turned out really good. No yeast tang, just lovely malt and hop bitterness. Quite clean. I'm going to give the Kolsch a spin next.

I get on with all of them but in different ways. The Kolsch and Cali are really good also the ale yeasts are too but they do not pack down as firm as some yeasts and you may have to be careful when pouring. I have now resorted to using Wilko ale yeast which seems to pack down firmer. Using yeast is very subjective and all I can say is try it for yourself as what suits one person will not suit another also beware of the people who believe that only liquid is good enough and will rubbish anything else as I have said give everything a try once and listen to the comments but form your own final opinion

I'm only a newbie brewer, but I have used their Real Ale Yeast with excellent results, I followed the instructions on the packet, except I re-hydrated in wort for 1 hour at 1038 SG and 24 DegC. rather than water. At 20 DegC. my ale started to bubble within 6 hours and has fermented out in 5 days from 1042 to 1008. All including the usual witty email from Steven to say that Tom had just returned from the pub having dropped my yeast in the post-box. Proper good service with a smile can't fault them!

I've just made a cider with their Saison de Lille yeast and I'm very happy with it. Best tasting cider I've made to date from shop bought juice.

I'm only a newbie brewer, but I have used their Real Ale Yeast with excellent results, I followed the instructions on the packet, except I re-hydrated in wort for 1 hour at 1038 SG and 24 DegC. rather than water. At 20 DegC. my ale started to bubble within 6 hours and has fermented out in 5 days from 1042 to 1008. All including the usual witty email from Steven to say that Tom had just returned from the pub having dropped my yeast in the post-box. Proper good service with a smile can't fault them!

Can't remember the exact reasons and I know it seems that rehydration is rehydration but there are technical reasons why it's a good idea (but not strictly necessary) to rehydrate yeast in water rather than wort.

I have used a bunch of their yeasts and they are normally pretty good. I have a Country Wine Yeast and Mead Yeast currently doing their thing and also a Lille Saison batch that was absolutely busting its way out of the fermenter for a few days. I get all my hops from these guys too and when I have been tempted to try somewhere else on eBay then I find they are just not as good as CML. I don't normally rehydrate their yeasts but have for the last 2 or 3 batches. I have tried the Kolsch yeast and I do have the California Common but not got that one going yet. I have also used the Saison yeast for Cider and it's not bad but in my case, it does need a bit of back sweetening as its a bit dry so I have racked the 1 gallon onto 500g of frozen fruit. Looking forward to seeing how that pans out.

@Honk that's interesting, and I just done a bit of reading around t'internet and you are quite right, water apparently is better than wort, I was going down the road of a sort of starter to get things going, and that it certainly did 'cos this brew went off like a rocket. But from what I've read, the wort can kill considerable numbers of yeast cells, but there is no explanation as to why this might happen. But to see what does happen I'm going to waste a packet of yeast. I am sort of in home territory here, 'cos I can stain and photograph yeast cells. So if a moderator wants to suggest I continue on this thread, or start a new thread with what happens to yeast - wort versus water for re-hydration??? I'll drop a couple of images up here later on.

...or start a new thread with what happens to yeast - wort versus water for re-hydration??? I'll drop a couple of images up here later on.
https://bkyeast.wordpress.com/2013/03/13/more-on-yeast-rehydration/

I'd start a new one - it'll just be buried in this one. That link above is worth looking at if you're doing the same thing. It's the osmotic pressure that's the cause of death. I've said before it's like me trying to wake you up by forcing doughnuts down your face. Some days you're going to choke.

@Drunkula thanks for the link, that site is brilliant, never seen it before on my travels, but I can see where his research has come from. I'll post my cell count images, but to be honest, those stats of his are about right. I did a 1 hour test of 1g of CML real ale yeast in 100ml water and 1g in 100ml wort at 1040 SG (all done at 20DegC.). Water re-hydration mortality came out at 17.6% and wort re-hydration mortality came out at 28.5% so point proven for me that as @Honk said, I should have used water.

The OP was about using CML yeast and although I have only used it a couple of times, it has worked a treat for me. The latest batch I have tested today started at 1040 and it is down to 1008 and been there for a couple of days - 6 days to ferment at 20DegC., after an initial taste test, FWIW, is going to be a stunner.

experiment-1.jpg
experiment-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back