The difference between?????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pms67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
206B3912-B0D2-413C-A442-D79CCCC8A22B.jpeg E6A7E7A1-3646-40F7-8AE6-24ABA1E11B1C.jpeg What do you guys think, 1 is from M&S for £2.50 and 1 from B&M for £1.50
Both brewed by Oakham Ales
Can’t be too different surely?

I've had both, although never side by side, and they are almost identical. The original has a slightly lower abv than the M&S one so they can't be exactly the same, but the difference is could be as little as the original being liquored back slightly. Both great beers though. The original was release in 2009, so an early adopter of citra in the UK. I used to drink gallons of it!

Do you think the M&S one is brewed under contract with a posh label, but same bottling line?

Can you post up the ABV and anything else you notice is different as I can't read the labels.

Interested to know how one company can produce two variants virtually the same but for different markets.

Some people would never see the other version. I would think the venn diagram would be -
Venn diagram.png

Interested to know how one company can produce two variants virtually the same but for different markets.
They definitely do that. Loads of my family work for Burtons biscuit and some biscuits are exactly the same but with the die that stamps the biscuits changed but then you get an ingredient change and then you'll run out the end of the line into a hopper that goes to the pig farm (they sometimes take out the stamper so it's like a 125 metre long biscuitty poo!) before the new mix comes through. Sometimes it's better ingredients, sometimes it's changes in fats so they're more temperature stable in hot climates - or don't have no porky pig for some countries. That kind of thing.

Some places love things awfully sweet. I'm not sure where it was but it was something like Jaffa cakes for Saudi Arabia and the chocolate was really resilient and the inside like... wrong.

Last edited:
I've had both, although never side by side, and they are almost identical. The original has a slightly lower abv than the M&S one so they can't be exactly the same, but the difference is could be as little as the original being liquored back slightly. Both great beers though. The original was release in 2009, so an early adopter of citra in the UK. I used to drink gallons of it!
I also think they are almost identical.
The posh one is 4.9% and the cheaper one 4.6%

regarding the different %ages, I understand that the quoted ABV is allowed to be +/- 0.5% of stated, therefore this could be the same

View attachment 22167 View attachment 22166 What do you guys think, 1 is from M&S for £2.50 and 1 from B&M for £1.50
A side by side blind tasting is called for. You'll need at least three of each to get a representative sample.
I'll do it for you if you like. Always happy to help.
acheers.

View attachment 22167 View attachment 22166 What do you guys think, 1 is from M&S for £2.50 and 1 from B&M for £1.50
I love Oakham Citra and have bought the M and S one lots when I can't get the cheaper Oakham one as I think for all intents and purposes they are exactly the same.

If you have ever seen the M and S double dry hopped IPA in a 330ml green can, I am pretty sure that is a repackaged Oakham Green Devil, too. AND, Morrisons also do a "The Best" American Pale Ale which is brewed by Oakham which is, again, Citra, I believe. I have a couple in my new fermentation fridge (currently being used as a festive booze fridge).

Attachments

• IMG_20191231_081406.jpg
    IMG_20191231_081406.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 147
Hi

M&S seem to do this a lot for their beer range ... getting breweries to brew their (better) beers for them, under contract, changing them just enough to be classed as "different" (probably for the breweries' sake) but not so much as to not still be familiar :?: ... e.g. their "Cornish IPA" is/was made for them by St. Austell, and was a scaled down (ABV-wise) version of Proper Job, the Northern Mild is/was a stronger version of Thwaites' Nutty Black (I don't shop there often, but those two used to even be bottle conditioned, like the brewery originals, with the brewery primary strains :?: ), the Norfolk Bitter is a variation on Woodforde's Wherry, their London Porter is based on Meantime's London Porter, the Southwold Bitter is something like Adnams' Southwold, etc., etc.

My guess is that they are slightly different, probably so as to not "compete" with the originals ... but possibly also to fit better to M&S customers' "requirements" :?:

Cheers, PhilB

Would be easy to brew a bit short rather than change anything else.

On the food side I tried about 6 brands of corned beef. I think 5 had the same end stamp and batch type numbering so seem to all be made in the same factory with a different label.

Hi

M&S seem to do this a lot for their beer range ... getting breweries to brew their (better) beers for them, under contract, changing them just enough to be classed as "different" (probably for the breweries' sake) but not so much as to not still be familiar :?: ... e.g. their "Cornish IPA" is/was made for them by St. Austell, and was a scaled down (ABV-wise) version of Proper Job, the Northern Mild is/was a stronger version of Thwaites' Nutty Black (I don't shop there often, but those two used to even be bottle conditioned, like the brewery originals, with the brewery primary strains :?: ), the Norfolk Bitter is a variation on Woodforde's Wherry, their London Porter is based on Meantime's London Porter, the Southwold Bitter is something like Adnams' Southwold, etc., etc.

My guess is that they are slightly different, probably so as to not "compete" with the originals ... but possibly also to fit better to M&S customers' "requirements" :?:

Cheers, PhilB
I think you are right, they had Adnams brew a bloody lovely Mosaic IPA but no more.

I love Oakham Citra and have bought the M and S one lots when I can't get the cheaper Oakham one as I think for all intents and purposes they are exactly the same.

If you have ever seen the M and S double dry hopped IPA in a 330ml green can, I am pretty sure that is a repackaged Oakham Green Devil, too. AND, Morrisons also do a "The Best" American Pale Ale which is brewed by Oakham which is, again, Citra, I believe. I have a couple in my new fermentation fridge (currently being used as a festive booze fridge).
I had a couple of bottles of Green Devil over Christmas. I'd forgotten what a great beer it is.

A side by side blind tasting is called for. You'll need at least three of each to get a representative sample.
I'll do it for you if you like. Always happy to help.
acheers.
Your a trooper but you live in France so the postage is cheeper to my gaff
So send them my way I will tell you the difference

Latest posts

Back