The dreaded keg glug

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalozo

Reaction score
Hi,

I have kegged a Wilko artisan Traditional Bitter 1.8kg Kit a week ago after it finished fermenting. I added 85g of brewing sugar to the keg. PTFE tape around the keg thread and vasseline on the washer. The washer for the S30 valve was replaced for the previous brew and the rubber band checked.

It had two days at about 20'C and is now in the utility room that is cool but doesn't drop too cold.

I just tested today and got the dreaded glug and no pressure. The valve/cap don't seem to be sucking in air - I can't hear anything.

Any advice on what I should do would be much appreciated.

Thanks...

As a pressure barrel user I don't get why they don't fit a pressure measuring device as standard. I know Ballihoo supply caps with Schrader valves and digital pressure gauge but not the norm. First thing I did with my kegs was fit pressure gauges so no surprises if there's a leak (S30 valve the usual suspect). I'd recommend it.

Great - thanks - I will move it back somewhere warmer. Do I need to add any more sugar or will it be OK just warming up?

Hi again...

I have had the keg in a warmer place now for 10 days and had another test. Still no carbonisation. I have checked the washer and rubbers on the valve and they look OK.

I have added some more sugar and will give it another go. But it doesn't taste great and is still very cloudy. I have a feeling this one might be going down the drain...

Back