The Duke of Edinburgh

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So...would this be valid as a test case or example if the same happened to Joe public being caught without a seat belt?

If it's on private road i don't think the cops can do anything so the answer is no.

Norfolk Police have decided not to prosecute Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh for his recent accident.

The RSPCA and Mental Health UK have asked that anyone who feels even a slight sense of surprise at this announcement go and see their local GP immediately, before they start shooting at the pigs that they see flying past their homes!

I drive every day in the lakes and believe me the majority of bad drivers are old not boy racers as the media would have us all believe.

OMG! I'm both. 67 years old and drive a TVR Tamora. ashock1

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! I'm both. 67 years old and drive a TVR Tamora. ashock1

As you are only 67 years old, you can keep driving at speed with a total disregard of other road-users for at least another 30 years.

PS

Back in my mis-spent youth, a mate of mine used to lend me his TVR whenever he borrowed my Ford Thames Van, which had a mattress in the back! I could have sold that mattress as a forensic science project by the time I got rid of the van!

Is the Duke required to carry insurance for accidents? Or is the Royals self insured?
Does he have to have a license as normal folks? I've read the Queen is not required to have a license as she's the head of the whole country.
Just curious.

OMG! I'm both. 67 years old and drive a TVR Tamora.

Same here, 70 this year and only got rid of my Caterham super seven last year because the dog didn't like going in it. I'll grow up one day, maybe.

I am not saying all bad drivers are old but far too many are, if they brought a basic competency test in for the over 70s a lot would no longer be allowed on the roads.

My father in law is in his late 70s and has decided to stop driving he says he doesn't feel confident any more and there are too many cars and too many impatient drivers on the road, he and my mother in law live on a main bus route so have no problem getting about .

Last edited:
To be honest, this may be controversial, but I believe to "push on a bit" is safer than plodding on at 30 and starting to dose off, as you are more aware of what is going on around you and quicker to react to situations( I don't mean excessive speeding though. Only pushing on when safe to do so).

"Yes!" the DoE requires a Driving Licence but his wife doesn't.

The very rich don't have insurance as per ...

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/144

"Section 143 of this Act does not apply to a vehicle owned by a person who has deposited and keeps deposited with the Accountant General of the Senior Courts the sum of £500,000, at a time when the vehicle is being driven under the owner’s control."

Please note the wording "under the owner's control". The fact that a total idiot is driving the vehicle does not mean that it is no longer "under the owner's control"; all that needs to be proved is that it was being driven with the owner's permission.

This is one of the best examples of "a law for the rich and a law for the poor" enshrined in UK Law!

Apparently, in this sad country of ours, we have a whole family of parasites that consider abiding by the law or observing decent standards, below their dignity!
You're right, Dutto, but you are slightly missing an important point. There is substantial (i.e. more than enough for a court of law) evidence that Mrs Windsor is not the legitimate monarch. It was uncovered accidentally back in (I think) about 2004 by Tony Robinson when doing some historical research in France.
Because I am incredibly, unbelievably naive in such matters, I expected that Mrs W would promptly announce that she would do the honourable thing and step down in favour of the genuine monarch, or at least start a full enquiry to determine the actual situation beyond doubt. More fool me. I must try to stop being naive. A DNA test would have settled it, but as I understand it she and the other viable testees declined to allow one to be made. Surprise. Apparently even more evidence emerged when DNA testing was done following the discovery of Richard III under the car park in Leicester.
The actual, real king at the time has since died. He was called Michael Hastings. Tony Robinson interviewed King Michael; he lived in a tiny place called Jerilderie in New South Wales, where he worked at the Australian Rice Research Institute. He seemed like a decent type of chap - the kind you'd happily have a drink with in a pub. He was a republican, and not interested in claiming his title. He did, however, knight Tony Robinson (using a twig instead of a sword), so I was surprised when TR accepted a second "knighthood" from Mrs W (who presumably is not in actuality authorised to give him one, any more than you or I are). His heir is his son, Simon, also in Australia, and also a republican, and also not interested in claiming his title, which is a great pity as it would give all the rest of us both some relief and an enormous amount of amusement. If you want to know more, you could put "Channel 4 history - Britain's Real Monarch" into google and see what comes up.

Love it!! We used to go to our local on a Friday night and put this on the Juke box ALL night. Must have been 30+ times...happy days!!

Back