The Eleven Plus Homebrew Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah saw and registered for this earlier this week. I've also just bottled an IMP stout with a SG of 1120 which will hopefully be in a good place by EOY 2020. I'm also planning a massive 'Wee Heavy' too.

It sounds like a great competition and it'll be really interesting to see what kind of uptake there is for a comp of this nature and how they manage the logistic side of things.

Yeah, I can't imagine tasting many high abv beers in one sitting will work, I think they said the sampling will happen over a larger time period than the usual BJCP format.

I'm planning a doppelbock. I've made a couple before and really like the style, but it was over a year since I last made one.

I have a brilliant wee heavy which had OG exactly 1.100. It has been aaging a few months now and improves every time I try it. As i didnt take a photo of the OG I dont think I could enter it (unless I faked a photo). Thats one issue with the comp, usually a very strong beer needs a decent conditioning time

Judging is scheduled 20/12/2020. There's still time:laugh8:

Nice, I probably should have looked a bit closer before commenting!!
I love my strong beers but with grainfather I struggled to get OG over 1.075. I watched the David Heath video on re-iterated mash and managed a 1.1 first time I tried it, recon I could get higher with a few small tweeks.

Just started a big Edinburgh Ale yeast starter and going to get another wee heavy going in a few days.

I love my strong beers but with grainfather I struggled to get OG over 1.075. I watched the David Heath video on re-iterated mash and managed a 1.1 first time I tried it, recon I could get higher with a few small tweeks.
I'm the same, Robobrew but same concept. I watched his video also, but didn't stir my mash so that's potentially where I went wrong. Funnily enough 1.076 was my pre-boil OG with my last wee heavy - which was target. 90 minute boil would have made it 1.100; but I wanted 23L.

Must have another go but my efficiency is just awful with reiterated mashing, regardless what anyone says or does:laugh8:

Back