The end of the road for Boris.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And yet half the morons on the radio this morning have fallen for his "personal mandate" schtick hook, line and sinker.

Unless you live in Uxbridge, you did not vote for Boris, no matter what you think.
Except whist that is true in theory, it isn't in practice. By voting for your local MP, you are voting for them representing their party. And the party vote transfers into support of the party leader in the house, which is the PM - in this case Boris (🤣 at the autocorrect to Virus).

Your vote for your local candidate is a proxy vote for the PM. So it's a bit of both

Except whist that is true in theory, it isn't in practice. By voting for your local MP, you are voting for them representing their party. And the party vote transfers into support of the party leader in the house, which is the PM - in this case Boris (🤣 at the autocorrect to Virus).

Your vote for your local candidate is a proxy vote for the PM. So it's a bit of both
Which all comes back to why there needs to be electoral reform to get rid of the current system and replace with proportional representation.

I have stayed away from commenting and generally try not to read what is in the snug..

I wish I had your strength of will, @DocAnna . It would keep me out of all sorts of trouble.

Boris epitomises all that I decry in human nature, of selfishness, scheming and deceit for personal gain; of ridiculing and demeaning people for self aggrandisement and his position at the head of the baying pack. His attitude to women is appalling, I find him utterly repugnant. He has been a cancer to British politics, corrupting the position of prime minister, and twisting the idea of what it means to be British. We have a proud history of assimilating over time all who would settle in the UK, of Britishness being decency, restraint, leading by example, though also utterly ruthless within the scope of the rule of law. We are demeaned as a country having been seen to support this toxic narcissist.

... and your eloquence. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Yes, but that doesn't amount to a PM being able to lay siege to number 10 citing a personal mandate as a result of a general election. 14 million may have "voted for him", but thankfully for us, that ain't how it works in a parliamentary democracy.

The trouble with our political system is that you can get less than 50% of the popular vote and still have a stonking great majority in the House of Commons!

Rishi Sunak has entered the race to be the next leader of the Conservative Party and prime minister.

The former chancellor is the most high profile figure so far to announce his candidacy.
His resignation from the cabinet on Tuesday helped trigger the mass walkout of ministers that forced Boris Johnson to stand down as Tory leader.
Mr Johnson intends to stay on as prime minister until the Tory party chooses a successor.
Senior backbencher Tom Tugendhat and Attorney General Suella Braverman have already announced their plans to stand.

Meanwhile, former Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt, Defence Secretary Ben Wallace, and Former Health Secretary Sajid Javid are said to be considering leadership bids, while former Brexit minister Steve Baker has signalled he will mount a challenge.
A timetable for the Tory leadership race is due to be confirmed next week and the new prime minister is expected to be in position by September.

'Ready for Rishi'

Announcing his decision to stand in a social media video, Mr Sunak said he wanted to "restore trust, rebuild the economy and reunite the country".
He added: "Someone has to grip this moment and make the right decisions."
"Do we confront this moment with honesty seriousness and determination or do we tell ourselves comforting fairy tales that might make us feel better in the moment but will leave our children worse off tomorrow," he asked.
He promised "to lead this country in the right direction" based on values of "patriotism, fairness and hard work".
He said the country faced "huge challenges" and that decisions today would determine whether the next generation got "the chance of a better future".
Pointing to his credentials to be leader, Mr Sunak said he had run the "toughest department in government during the toughest times when we faced the nightmare of Covid".
Several senior Tory MPs have endorsed Mr Sunak's candidacy, tweeting their support and promoting his campaign slogan "Ready for Rishi".
Commons Leader Mark Spencer wrote: "Rishi is the leader that can unite the Party, bring the whole country together and win us that fifth general election victory."

Mr Sunak, 42, was an analyst for the investment bank, Goldman Sachs, and was later a partner in two hedge funds, before becoming an MP for the North Yorkshire constituency of Richmond in 2015.
He was once seen as the leading contender to succeed Mr Johnson as Conservative Party leader and prime minister.
Appointed chancellor in July 2020, Mr Sunak had to grapple with the consequences of the Covid-19 pandemic, spending huge amounts to keep the economy afloat.
But his reputation was dented by a controversy over his wife's tax affairs and being fined for breaching lockdown rules during the pandemic.
Mr Sunak was fined by the Metropolitan Police, along with Mr Johnson and his wife Carrie, for breaching Covid rules by attending a birthday party for the prime minister in June 2020.
A backer of Brexit, Mr Sunak was loyal to Mr Johnson, despite tensions over economic policy and the prime minister's wish to cut taxes more quickly as living costs rise.
But their relationship ultimately broke down when Mr Sunak dramatically resigned in tandem with close ally and former Health Secretary Sajid Javid.
In his resignation letter, Mr Sunak said "the public rightly expect government to be conducted properly, competently and seriously".
Mr Sunak also referenced tensions over the economy in his resignation letter, telling the PM their approaches had become "fundamentally too different".
His resignation and that of Mr Javid triggered a mass exodus of ministers and precipitated the downfall of Mr Johnson's government.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62099272

There are obvious parallels between US and UK, politically. I, for one, will never judge an entire country over who was elected after the sh*t show(s) here. Our popular vote in '16 was about a 3M advantage for Hilary Clinton and...she lost. She was arguably the most qualified presidential candidate in ages if not ever. The propaganda attack against her was utterly incredible. Our Republicans haven't won the popular vote since '04. For a Democrat to win the Presidency here, it's set up so that you need a very wide margin to win to take office. .
Basically, we have a minority of politicians at all levels and in too many instances making decisions for the majority. The reason, among others, is the Electoral College and Gerrymandering play a major part.
I'm unaware whether you have political gerrymandering there but it is an assault to logic, reason and fairness.
And the EC is just antiquated and, worse, slavery-based (too long to get into that here).

I'm unaware whether you have political gerrymandering there but it is an assault to logic, reason and fairness.
And the EC is just antiquated and, worse, slavery-based (too long to get into that here).
We have a commission that independently sets electoral boundaries, so in theory gerrymandering should be impossible….

But even so, all sides get to review and object to changes and of course the party with the deepest pockets is going to have the best advocates and can shift things slightly in their favour.

While the whole electoral college thing is very different to the UK constituency model, the result is the same - a party with far fewer votes on a national scale can end up winning.

While the whole electoral college thing is very different to the UK constituency model, the result is the same - a party with far fewer votes on a national scale can end up winning.
The whole subject of gerrymandering is offensive to logic the way it is here. And frustrating.
Edit: I just realized I already said the above in my previous post. Oops.

On another tack, the folk who really pee me off are the party faithful, outside polling stations, assaulting you as you come out. The last time this happened to me I gave some old 80 year Tory crone a volley of obscenities. Never saw her again.! Why cant they just let you vote in peace and drive back home.

You're quite wrong. When I vote, I'm voting with the new PM and government in mind, not the representative of my constituency. If I want something done on a constituency level then I'll email my MP no matter what party he or she represents. All things being equal, I'll vote for the Labour candidate, in the hope of returning another Labour MP to Parliament, but with some reluctance, too, as I not sure that Starmer is really Labour. My constituency, traditionally, is a Tory safe seat and the incumbent is such an R-sole that he brags he doesn't need to campaign as he'll be returned anyway. If I think there's a chance the Lib Dems can unseat him, I would consider voting that way. While Labour through and through, I'm not a great believer in tribalism: country before party should be the watchword in any political act.
But they are not the same thing because you’re not actually voting for the PM at all, you are merely voting for your local candidate.
Its quite easy to verify this, just take a look at your ballot paper because there is no box for the PM.
Thats also why his party can remove him at any time.

Here we go again! All I did was type in

“Kemi Badenoch scandal” and got this:

“Shortly after her appointments, Vice News said they had received leaked audio from 2018 in which Badenoch mocked gay marriage, referred to trans women as "men" and used the term transsexual.”

Ms Badenoch is the latest Tory to go for Boris’s job!
:hat:

Could be that she's Marjorie Taylor Greene's cousin.
MTG is a congressman here who's a real piece of work.

I've followed her career with some interest! She is quite the comedy act, though, David, you have to admit! 😜

until you remember that tens of thousands voted for her, and then it's not quite so funny...

Back