The EU and UK have reached a post-Brexit trade deal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Previously the family could chose to live where ever they liked but let's just say it was a Brit and a French national. Now, if they are living here in the UK and decide they want to move to France on Jan 1st, there is no automatic right for the Brit to live in France.
I haven't checked that out and I might be wrong, but I think you're mistaken. Being married to a French national carried rights and privileges that are not reciprocated by the UK. For example, I'm a British national living in France. Normally my right of movement between France and other European countries would be restricted in the same way that it is for British residents, but as my wife is French, we can travel where we like just as before because she has a right of free movement and I'm her husband travelling with her. Another example: on applying for a post-Brexit resident's card (carte de séjour), a Brit living in France for more than 5 years can apply for a 10-year card, but one living here less than 5 years can only apply for a one-year card, renewable until he or she has been here for five years. He or she also has to provide prove of income, health cover and loads of other stuff. Since I am married to a French national, all I have to provide is proof of residency- the period doesn't matter- and no proof of income, tax paid or anything else to get my 10-year card.
Conclusion: The French (I can't speak for other European countries) wouldn't dream of separating partners. If the French spouse came back to live in France then the non-French partner would be expected to come as well. If I'm wrong in this then I'll stand corrected.

There is also potentially the passport control thing.
It doesn't sound right to me.

But at least the Brit will have a blue passport! And enjoy service from a massively funded NHS (due to the £350 million a week not going to the EU) should they fall ill and being able to buy British mackerel and chips when they visit a fish and chip shop.

I haven't checked that out and I might be wrong, but I think you're mistaken. Being married to a French national carried rights and privileges that are not reciprocated by the UK. For example, I'm a British national living in France. Normally my right of movement between France and other European countries would be restricted in the same way that it is for British residents, but as my wife is French, we can travel where we like just as before because she has a right of free movement and I'm her husband travelling with her. Another example: on applying for a post-Brexit resident's card (carte de séjour), a Brit living in France for more than 5 years can apply for a 10-year card, but one living here less than 5 years can only apply for a one-year card, renewable until he or she has been here for five years. He or she also has to provide prove of income, health cover and loads of other stuff. Since I am married to a French national, all I have to provide is proof of residency- the period doesn't matter- and no proof of income, tax paid or anything else to get my 10-year card.
Conclusion: The French (I can't speak for other European countries) wouldn't dream of separating partners. If the French spouse came back to live in France then the non-French partner would be expected to come as well. If I'm wrong in this then I'll stand corrected.

I'll have to look into it then. I used France just as an example but that is is hopefully how it works everywhere. I know quite a few people at work and other places where they are 'split' nationality wise so I'll see what they have looked into.

Geert Wilders can f**k right off. He's a vile scum bag who has been banned from entering the UK.

Not interested in what you think of him what he said about them being scared we may start the ball rolling if we leave was true back in September 2019 when he said it.

As he says in the video they do not want one of their children to leave the house they are afraid if they allow it maybe another country would follow.

Last edited:
They already getting it. Funding is up.
Allegedly. Governments of all colours will present figures to make us believe what they want us to believe. The impression was given that "extra" money would be on top of the general year on year increases needed for inflation and the other needs plus Covid has made them increase spending.

The fundamental point here is that the exit and agreement are facts with which we must all live. Any inconvenience caused to individuals involving different nationalities or properties abroad may be regrettable but some complaints are overblown. I never experienced any problem wandering around Europe 50 years ago armed with a passport and little money. The notion that the EU is a paragon of democracy is a joke evidenced by the sneering putdown of a Commission "diplomat" last week who stated that MEPs were suffering from "delusions of grandeur" when some of them called for more time to approve any agreement before being confirmed by the bloc. In the meantime it criticises the UK for getting the Pfizer inocculations in place but was actually playing politics with its peoples lives. Rather than just approve and order the vaccine developed in Germany it ordered 200 million only of the 500 million it was offered so that the French could enter the frame via Sanofi but that has not come to fruition. The Germans are understandably furious as is apparent from Der Spiegel and Die Zeit. That fact plus the total inadequacy of the Covid "rescue package" which will inevitably require more contributions from the German taxpayer will fuel disenchantment in Germany which will soon run out of patience with president Micron's (intentional) posturing. Merkel has complained more than once about having to "pick up the pieces" following his antics. These factors plus the insanity of the single currency and the ever widening schism with the Visegrad bloc are just a sample of the reasons why Britain is better out of the fantasy madhouse.

Well at least I don't need a green card for my insurance to cross the border.
Glad to see something got sorted as opposed to nothing.
My brother in law has been an Irish resident for 12 years and has only changed his license to an Irish one or risk the chance of having to do his tests all over again.

I am starting a new Brexit thread as the last didn't make great reading and we now have trade deal ( 8< )
It seems to me, having had a quick look, that the moaning continues, with many of exactly the same old things being said. However.

Yes, we have a trade agreement. That's good for everyone, but all I seem to hear is "But you did not get what you wanted", or "It's BRINO not what we wanted" or "The eu has won" or "The UK has won", or some variant.

Consider the individual moaning there was before. Has it changed? Consider one"industry" case: that fishermen on both sides of the channel are moaning. Is that more indicative, has a middle way for the UK outside the eu been found? Perhaps.

We'll just have to wait and see. Again, I don't think it's of value to consider {"The Daily Express"|"The Independent") as being precise and unbiased. As usual, "take a cross-section of views and average them" seems to be the way

But at least the Brit will have a blue passport! And enjoy service from a massively funded NHS (due to the £350 million a week not going to the EU) should they fall ill and being able to buy British mackerel and chips when they visit a fish and chip shop.
How old are you? I have never been able to buy "mackerel and chips" from a fish 'n' chip shop. Have you? Where?

It seems to me, having had a quick look, that the moaning continues, with many of exactly the same old things being said. However.

Yes, we have a trade agreement. That's good for everyone, but all I seem to hear is "But you did not get what you wanted", or "It's BRINO not what we wanted" or "The eu has won" or "The UK has won", or some variant.

Consider the individual moaning there was before. Has it changed? Consider one"industry" case: that fishermen on both sides of the channel are moaning. Is that more indicative, has a middle way for the UK outside the eu been found? Perhaps.

We'll just have to wait and see. Again, I don't think it's of value to consider {"The Daily Express"|"The Independent") as being precise and unbiased. As usual, "take a cross-section of views and average them" seems to be the way
Are you really having a right old moan about people moaning? :laugh8:

How old are you? I have never been able to buy "mackerel and chips" from a fish 'n' chip shop. Have you? Where?
Exactly. The UK doesn't have large dtocks of cod or haddock. We import a lot of it. But we do have access to lots of other fish other countries will eat. So if there are tarrifs imposed which make white fish more expensive to import or export the fish we do have, we'd better get used to eating it.

Or stop eating fish altogether. Fishing is unsustainable. The old EU quotas were discracefully wasteful, but changing. I think a certain N Farage may have been a member of the fisheries committee, but rarely turned up to meetings.

Exactly. The UK doesn't have large dtocks of cod or haddock. We import a lot of it. But we do have access to lots of other fish other countries will eat. So if there are tarrifs imposed which make white fish more expensive to import or export the fish we do have, we'd better get used to eating it.

Or stop eating fish altogether. Fishing is unsustainable. The old EU quotas were discracefully wasteful, but changing. I think a certain N Farage may have been a member of the fisheries committee, but rarely turned up to meetings.
"Exactly" *what*?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/511023/cod-import-value-united-kingdom-uk-country-of-origin/
Why is fishing "unsustainable"?

I really, *really* can't be bothered though, unless you can come up with something apolitical and non-whingeing, not just the same old..

Fishing at current levels is unsustainable because in order to be cost effective, larger and larger vessels and net have to be used. This is also damaging to the environment, because everything it the net's wake is caught. Not just target species.

Fishing at current levels is unsustainable because in order to be cost effective, larger and larger vessels and net have to be used. This is also damaging to the environment, because everything it the net's wake is caught. Not just target species.
I tend to agree with that. Perhaps it would be a good idea to phase out or very drastically reduce all fishing for "industrial species" in the UK EEZ, if not in eu EEZs too. There would be a lot of squeaking about that, though. Perhaps there will be useful spinoffs from the upcoming changes re catch quotas and effort quotas for use by fishing boats. I think we'll just have to wait & see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back