The EU and UK have reached a post-Brexit trade deal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am starting a new Brexit thread as the last didn't make great reading and we now have trade deal -

The EU and UK have reached a post-Brexit trade deal, ending months of disagreements over fishing rights and future business rules.

At a Downing Street press conference, Boris Johnson said: "We have taken back control of our laws and our destiny."
The prime minister added that although arguments had been "fierce" it was a "good deal for the whole of Europe", driving jobs and prosperity.
EU chief Ursula von der Leyen said it was a "fair and balanced" deal.
In a press conference in Brussels, the European Commission president said: "This was a long and winding road but we have got a good deal to show for it.
"It is fair, it is a balanced deal, and it is the right and responsible thing to do for both sides."
She added that now was "time to turn the page and look to the future" and that the UK "remains a trusted partner".
There will be a five-and-a-half year transition period for the fishing industry, she indicated.

'Relief'
And co-operation will continue on issues including climate change, energy, security and transport.
Mrs von der Leyen said she felt "quiet satisfaction" and "relief" that a deal had been concluded.
"It is time to leave Brexit behind, our future is made in Europe," she added.
Mr Johnson tweeted a picture of himself smiling with both thumbs lifted in the air.
In a statement, Downing Street said: "Everything that the British public was promised during the 2016 referendum and in the general election last year is delivered by this deal.
"We have taken back control of our money, borders, laws, trade and our fishing waters."
The UK government had "delivered this great deal for the entire United Kingdom in record time, and under extremely challenging conditions," the statement added.
The deal will come as a major relief to many British businesses, already reeling from the impact of coronavirus, who feared disruption at the borders when the UK leaves EU trading rules next Thursday.

Down to the wire
The government's economic watchdog, the Office for Budget Responsibility, had warned that leaving without a deal would have shrunk the national income by 2% next year and led to major job losses.
There were also concerns it would lead to higher prices in the shops for many imported goods.
Negotiations in Brussels went down to the wire over what EU fishing boats are allowed to catch in UK waters. Fishing makes up just 0.12% of the UK's economy.
There are still big question marks about what the deal will mean for the rest of British business.
Firms that trade with the 27 member states have carried on as normal for the past year during the so-called transition period that kicked in when Britain left the EU.
They will still face extra paperwork when the country leaves the EU single market and customs union next week.
But the threat of tariffs - import taxes - between the UK and its biggest trading partner will be removed.

Brexit: Boris Johnson hails free trade deal with EU - BBC News

Here we go again Heseltine on the radio telling everyone that a deal was better than no deal but its still the wrong decision.

Heseltine was one of few Tories I liked. He's right we should never have left but that's water under the bridge. I think this deal is not going to please the hard Brexiteers or the fishermen who have been sold down the river. As for a level playing field means we can't support our businesses whereas the rest of the EU support theirs.

I think this deal is not going to please the hard Brexiteers or the fishermen who have been sold down the river.
How have they? During the transition period, they end up with a bigger share of the catch than they currently have, and the European fisherman have time to adapt. After the transition period, we control our own waters. What would you have preferred?

As for a level playing field means we can't support our businesses whereas the rest of the EU support theirs.
That's not what a level playing field implies. It suggests that the same rules apply to both parties as regards state aid. Obviously, we have yet to see the details - what gives you the impression otherwise?

I think this sounds like a deal that could do the seemingly impossible; satisfy both sides and allow mutual free trade (which benefits everybody) whilst allowing the UK to strike it's own path as an independent nation.

Given the circumstances I'm pleased we got a deal as no deal would have been genuinely awful, although now I will obviously be looking towards supporting parties who wish to take us back into the EU ASAP.

Pretty sad to consider where we are though, less power/influence, less rights, less respect. Less of everything.

I think it is a fair deal, 5.5 years transition is more than enough for the EU fishing fleets.
Pretty sad to consider where we are though, less power/influence, less rights, less respect. Less of everything.
That's an extremely pessimistic view to have. I think GB has gained a lot of respect, without losing any power or influence.
Better to run ones own country than to let others make decisions for you, Britain will prosper, the EU is the biggest loser.

I think it is a fair deal, 5.5 years transition is more than enough for the EU fishing fleets.

That's an extremely pessimistic view to have. I think GB has gained a lot of respect, without losing any power or influence.
Better to run ones own country than to let others make decisions for you, Britain will prosper, the EU is the biggest loser.

I wish we had a double like button. thumb.

So we are going to have a Canada style Brexit, for those who haven't a clue what this is -

How is the EU the biggest loser?

Abject drivel and complete fantasy.

Lost complete freedom to live and work in 27 other countries.

Lost power to lead and influence said 27 countries and their combined cumulative power.

Lost veto over who joins said group as well as key policies.

Imagine having the best deal in the EU, a Germany++ deal, and ******* it off for a bunch of lying shysters from Eton, just so you can doff your cap to them even more. :laugh8:

Genuinely pathetic.

Lost power to lead and influence said 27 countries and their combined cumulative power.

Imagine having the best deal in the EU, a Germany++ deal, and ******* it off for a bunch of lying shysters from Eton, just so you can doff your cap to them even more. :laugh8:

Genuinely pathetic.

I bet you voted remain.

Genuinely pathetic.
And support most of the 27 other countries, you now have the luxury of tariff free trade with the EU and able to strike other deals with the rest of the world. UK didn't lead any of the EU, yes they had a major input and I will bet they will still be able to influence what goes on within the EU. I wouldn't be worrying about who will join the EU, the EU will be worrying about who is going to leave.

I wonder when the NHS is going to get the 350 million pounds they were promised.
Probably at the end of the 10 years we were told that it would take to negotiate a trade agreement with the EU if we dared to leave (assuming we didn't all die of super strains of STD's).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back