The EU and UK have reached a post-Brexit trade deal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
>Snip<

I advise against taking his opinion seriously.. at least when you want to be taken serious.

The video discusses how they do not want anyone to leave as they are scared another country might follow and nothing else what you posted (and what i have now removed) was irrelevant and i don't want the thread to turn into a discussion about him and his policies, can tell us exactly what part of what he said in this video is wrong.

Last edited:
I advise against taking his opinion seriously.. at least when you want to be taken serious.
That's a very interesting video and he seems to have a lop-sided view of the EU. His last comment was about political union, which reminded me that some kind of united Europe project came about from the aftermath of the last war and its purpose was to ensure that European countries would never war among themselves again. An outdated and sentimental notion, you ask? Not at all when we see that the first country to leave the Union starts threatening to abandon international treaties and later to deploy its Navy to impound fishing vessels of those it dubiously and unilaterally considers to be trespassing in its waters!
Peace is a very fragile thing.
And yes; we should keep an open mind, but not so open that our brains fall out!

But from a purely objective and rational perspective, the bloke's dodgy haircut reminds me of Tim Martin and so he's not to be trusted.

Last edited by a moderator:
For any country to leave they would presumably need at least 50.1% of the electorate in favour of it. According to the last opinion polls I saw, the highest Leave count was in the Czech Republic where only 34% thought it a good idea. Italy, often cited as wanting to leave, only had 28%. The Netherlands, I believe, was only 8%. Good luck, Geert!

The trouble is, none of the other countries have had the benefit of a popular press printing anti-EU lie stories on a daily basis for 30+ years.

Also, living with the reality of land borders kind of concentrates the mind. We, shamefully, ignored our one land border (at the moment) during the 2016 referendum campaign.

For any country to leave they would presumably need at least 50.1% of the electorate in favour of it. According to the last opinion polls I saw, the highest Leave count was in the Czech Republic where only 34% thought it a good idea. Italy, often cited as wanting to leave, only had 28%. The Netherlands, I believe, was only 8%.

Do you think if this works out well for us others countries will follow us?

later to deploy its Navy to impound fishing vessels of those it dubiously and unilaterally considers to be trespassing in its waters!

That's an interesting way of putting 'as defined by international law'

British territorial waters aren't something that are dreamed up by evil Tories in top hats; they are strictly defined by international treaties.

You seem to have an rather obscure view of the whole thing, detached somewhat, if I may say, from the legal reality.

Fortunately, those with clearer heads appear to have agreed to a sensible agreement that restores control of these waters to the UK while allowing a period of adaption for our friends across the water in France, Holland, etc to adapt.

British territorial waters aren't something that are dreamed up by evil Tories in top hats; they are strictly defined by international treaties.

You seem to have an rather obscure view of the whole thing, detached somewhat, if I may say, from the legal reality.

Fortunately, those with clearer heads appear to have agreed to a sensible agreement that restores control of these waters to the UK while allowing a period of adaption for our friends across the water in France, Holland, etc to adapt.
I was going to reply to the same psot, before it disappeared. Perhaps the eu don't bother to enforce the law in their own EEZ?

However, it's the same old, it seems even when progress and *agreement* has been made...

The UK considers itself not to be bound by international treaties as you well know. And I wasn't referring to British Territorial waters. Don't rewrite my script so you can knock it down. Have a pint and try to grasp the thrust of my comment.

Don't rewrite my script so you can knock it down.
Show me where I have rewritten your script; or apologise.

I have, in fact, simply used the forums 'quote' function to repost it verbatim. I will now quite the entire sentence;

Not at all when we see that the first country to leave the Union starts threatening to abandon international treaties and later to deploy its Navy to impound fishing vessels of those it dubiously and unilaterally considers to be trespassing in its waters!
The first part is no doubt refering to the Northern issue; the second part, the part I quoted verbatim and shall again said;

and later to deploy its Navy to impound fishing vessels of those it dubiously and unilaterally considers to be trespassing in its waters!

As I have said, there is nothing 'dubious' about UK territorial waters. They are defined by international treaty. There is nothing 'unilateral' about deploying fisheries protection vessels in these waters, it is no different to what any other costal country does, and again is sanctioned by international law.

The UK has never, ever, threatened to impound foreign fishing vessels outside of its territorial waters.

I think you need to take a deep breath, read back what you yourself have written, and then my reply.

The UK considers itself not to be bound by international treaties as you well know.
What rubbish. It's as bound by treaties as are other countries and entities, just as the eu is, and it can mitigate in advance of others' breaking treaties, or even abandon treaties just as other countries and entities including the eu have done in the past. Consequences have varied from none, to all-out war.

What rubbish. It's as bound by treaties as are other countries and entities, just as the eu is, and it can mitigate in advance of others' breaking treaties, or even abandon treaties just as other countries and entities including the eu have done in the past. Consequences have varied from none, to all-out war.
Congratulations you begin to see the point of my post. Yes the UK is as bound as any other country. I didn't say it wasn't. I said it considered itself not to be by being prepared to renegue on parts of the withdrawal agreement. Preparing to use warships against civilian and unarmed boats is already a bit more than sabre rattling, don't you think? But these were just instances in support of the idea that some kind of political union is more likely to fend off the things that trigger wars. And an argument against Wilders' proposition. Take it or leave it. I'm off for a pint and the search for low alcohol yeasts.

Congratulations you begin to see the point of my post.

( 8< )

Preparing to use warships against civilian and unarmed boats is already a bit more than sabre rattling, don't you think?
1) You are mistaken.
2) What are you trying to say, that the RN was set to open fire on trawlers operating illegally?

You still on the one you started at 4 15? For shame! :cool:

I guess you didn't see the picture he posted of that beer. ;)

1609091152417.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back