The EU and UK have reached a post-Brexit trade deal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Useless factoid, I shared the cover of the Times with Farage( my opinions of which aren’t suitable for a family forum)
1609110728558.jpeg

I’m the good looking one top right.

Apart from the lost revenue, I think now that it has opened the door for any other disgruntled members. Even though GB has better bargaining power than most of all other states (fishing, and the amount of trade) it would be unfair to raise the bar for any other leavers.
First of all sorry for late response the old Xmas got in the way, hope everyone had/is having a great time.
You're right that the EU will definitely lose something from having one of its biggest players leave. That has never been in doubt and probably the main reason why the EU has been so patient with Boris's flying circus up until this point. The sad reality of Brexit is that there are no winners really, both sides have lost but I fail to see how the EU has come off worse.
With your point on fishing, as others have said, fishing is diddly squat to both economies really, obviously to those of us who work in/rely on fishing it is very important but on the grand scheme it is a tiny fraction of the UK economy. It has been used as a nice emotive tool to keep anti-EU sentiment going, "keep those bloody Frenchies out of our waters" sounds great to your average Express reader.
As for other disgruntled members, if anything Brexit has strengthened EU solidarity, even crackpots like Orban aren't as vocal anymore.
But at the end of the day it all boils down to what we, as UK citizens, will gain come January 1st and I can't think of a single thing. When I compare myself to my Spanish wife and what we will be able to do come the new year there is only one loser really and that isn't the EU citizen.

First of all sorry for late response the old Xmas got in the way, hope everyone had/is having a great time.
You're right that the EU will definitely lose something from having one of its biggest players leave. That has never been in doubt and probably the main reason why the EU has been so patient with Boris's flying circus up until this point. The sad reality of Brexit is that there are no winners really, both sides have lost but I fail to see how the EU has come off worse.
With your point on fishing, as others have said, fishing is diddly squat to both economies really, obviously to those of us who work in/rely on fishing it is very important but on the grand scheme it is a tiny fraction of the UK economy. It has been used as a nice emotive tool to keep anti-EU sentiment going, "keep those bloody Frenchies out of our waters" sounds great to your average Express reader.
As for other disgruntled members, if anything Brexit has strengthened EU solidarity, even crackpots like Orban aren't as vocal anymore.
But at the end of the day it all boils down to what we, as UK citizens, will gain come January 1st and I can't think of a single thing. When I compare myself to my Spanish wife and what we will be able to do come the new year there is only one loser really and that isn't the EU citizen.
You've hit the nail absolutely on the head, BradelyW. Chippy asked earlier, "Do you think if this works out well for us others countries will follow us? " to which some of us, to his surprise and consternation, answered, NO. The thing is that most Brits don't get the EU. Even visiting holiday resorts, having a second home, retiring to a Costa isn't participating in what it means to be European. There's much more of a family sentiment and feeling of belonging than British people are aware of. Britain, on the whole, has never been "spiritually" part of the EU and that's why is was so easy to get us to break free. There are no winners as you say, only losers, but the average Englishman and Welshman (I don't know about the others) won't really experience all of that loss because they're blissfully unaware of what they're losing.
As an aside: I see that Boris' famous deal has been immediately and unanimously backed by all the EU nations. Some are going to interpret that as: Europe are so grateful to get any kind of deal at all because they need us more than we need them. As I'm naturally suspicious, I think they've grasped it with both hands because it's more of a gift than a deal. Even so, there are no net winners to come out of this train crash.

Chippy asked earlier, "Do you think if this works out well for us others countries will follow us? " to which some of us, to his surprise and consternation, answered, NO.

Really i don't believe i showed surprise or consternation, you may be right other countries may not decide to leave even if we do well i believe we will and they will.

There are no winners as you say, only losers, but the average Englishman and Welshman (I don't know about the others) won't really experience all of that loss because they're blissfully unaware of what they're losing.

We have had years of people from both sides telling us what we will lose or gain you may as well have said the leavers didn't know what they were voting for and chose wrong. :mad:

Last edited:
Ambassadors from the 27 EU member states have unanimously approved the EU-UK post-Brexit trade deal, paving the way for it to take effect.

The deal is likely to become law on 1 January, as the UK Parliament is expected to approve it on Wednesday.
Under EU rules it can take effect provisionally, though the European Parliament will vote on it in January.
The deal sets the framework for trade once the UK leaves the EU single market and customs union in four days' time.
The deal, which ended nine months of negotiations, will be approved by all 27 EU governments in writing at 15:00 (14:00 GMT) on Tuesday, the German EU presidency said.
They have had three days to analyse the details of the EU-UK Trade and Co-operation Agreement, since its publication. But most of the 1,246-page document had already been seen by member states in previous weeks.
The deal ends nearly 50 years of UK membership of the bloc, covering a vast array of policies besides those governing common trade rules.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted that he had spoken to European Council President Charles Michel about the deal and its forthcoming ratification by EU governments.
"I welcomed the importance of the UK/EU Agreement as a new starting point for our relationship, between sovereign equals," he said.
"We looked forward to the formal ratification of the agreement and to working together on shared priorities, such as tackling climate change."

The basics
  • A Brexit deal has been agreed, days before a deadline. It means that the UK and the EU can continue to trade without extra taxes being put on goods
  • What took so long? The UK voted to leave the EU in 2016 and actually left on 31 January 2020, but leaders had until the end of 2020 to work out a trade deal
  • There are big changes ahead. Although it's a trade deal that has been agreed, there will also be changes to how people travel between the EU and UK, and to the way they live and work

The new trade deal:
  • enables the UK to continue selling goods to the EU market - the UK's biggest trade partner - without tariffs or quotas
  • includes binding enforcement and dispute settlement mechanisms to address any unfair competition - what the EU calls "level playing field" rules
  • ensures continued smooth transport links between the UK and EU, including safeguards on passenger rights
  • means new paperwork and other barriers for UK businesses in Europe, including financial services, which employs more than a million people in the UK
  • does little to address the needs of the UK service sector, accounting for about 80% of the UK economy
  • transfers 25% of EU boats' fishing rights in British waters to the UK fleet, over a five-and-a-half year transition period
  • reduces UK access to EU programmes in various fields, including policing and education.

Full article - Brexit: EU ambassadors approve EU-UK trade deal - BBC News

Chippy asked earlier, "Do you think if this works out well for us others countries will follow us? " to which some of us, to his surprise and consternation, answered, NO.

The thing is that most Brits don't get the EU.
1) You *assume* a lot about other people; not to mention, put your words in their mouths.
2) Quite. They actually voted to leave it, didn't they.

The deal ends nearly 50 years of UK membership of the bloc, covering a vast array of policies besides those governing common trade rules.
If the bbc wrote this, they are wrong.

First, our membership of the eu completely, legally, and absolutely ended on Jan 31st, at 11 p.m. precisely.

Next, we have been members of the eu for 27 years, not nearly 50.

We have had years of people from both sides telling us what we will lose or gain you may as well have said the leavers didn't know what they were voting for and chose wrong. :mad:
You can't be mad at something I may as well have said, but didn't. In fact I think most voters did know what they were voting for and, in much of that, they've been cheated. That doesn't mean they chose wrong even if I chose to vote for other values. Anyway, it's water under the bridge now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back