The exercise equipment thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since kids came along my time available for exercise got a lot less, cycling used to be my main thing but heading out for 1hr+ rides several times a week didn't really work. I'd always thought it would be a good idea to get into running but whenever I tried it would just kill me, didn't really realise that just trying to go and run for half an hour wasn't the right approach.

In the meantime I got diagnosed with a lung condition, was prescribed steroids for a long term and really piled on the weight. Then I heard about Couch to 5k and thought perhaps I should try running again. Managed to get to the end of the 9 week program without too much bother and suddenly I was able to run for 30 minutes without stopping and without feeling wrecked the next day. Stuck to the 3 times a week after that and times went down, distances went up, did my first 10k event the following year, loads more after that, half marathon early last year, followed by two more later on in the year. I stick with it now and it seems fine with the current measures in place, I can get out for a run and maintain my distance. All I need is a pair of running shoes, socks, shorts and a t-shirt. I'll be gutted if the idiot minority bring about a total ban on outdoor activities.

Whilst the current situation is not ideal the upside for me is that due to home working I can now do my runs during my lunch break, something I can't do at work as we don't have showers.

This weekend we've also done a few miles on the bikes with the kids and a few miles of walking, something we try to do anyway but seems more important than ever now.

Doing a 20 mile round trip out of west Glasgow to Erskine bridge and then back on Southside of river and through Clyde tunnel daily for my exercise. Back home at 7.30am and ready for the day.
Also have turbo trainer set up on the deck but so much better to be out on the road.

View from the bridge

Attachments

• 20200405_073628.jpg
    20200405_073628.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 70
I bought a e-bike. You just use the assistance when you need it. It's quite heavy but as it's for exercise, not speed or distance, I don't mind. If the bike were lighter I'd have to go further. It's very hilly here and a little assist makes a big difference.

I am a runner and ex-commuter-cyclist. Looking for some rehabilitating exercise for a knee problem, I stumbled accidentally into the beginnings of the fixed-gear fad of the mid noughties before it became comical. I used to ride to work 3 times a week 35 mile round trip on a fixie. So I still have a couple of cheap steel road and track bikes with hand built wheels (built by me 😊). There's also the full-suss MTB that I paid £1K for in c2005, now only used on high days and holidays.

In 2009 I hit a pothole one dark morning, came to concussed and lying in the road with a split helmet and torn rotator cuff in my shoulder, so cycling was off the cards. When headaches had subsided and shoulder recovered enough a few weeks later I took to running and haven't looked back.

I did the 10k, half, then marathon progression thing before turning to trail and then fell running. I'm most happy running through the fields or on the hills well away from anyone.
Equipment consists of: 4 pairs of road running shoes, 3 for trail, 4 for the fells, most in various states of disrepair but I use them all until they fall apart beyond repair.

I had built up to running 45 miles per week, often being out for 6-8 hours on the fells at weekends.

I never usually have injuries. However I have barely run since start of Feb due to an ankle problem. I miss it so much, it's my joy and sanity and keeps the weight off.

Running....my hip doctor told me running was a thing not to do! Hip replacement or otherwise...on hard surface every impact puts around 5x your body weight through your knees...

I just happened to decide to get slimmer and fitter again about a month ago, settled on bodyweight exercises and got a power tower thingy for pull-up and dips (not that I can do either yet), then the lock down happened and it's a great set of exercises for me and the wife. Also walk the dog 3 - 5 km every day with the kids. With cutting out snacks as much as possible I've lost around 5-7 kg so far.

Buying a bike for £2-3k can be a minefield. So much choice but lot comes down to personal preference. If you have a mountain bike I take it you have some knowledge and may already have some preference to makes etc.

Don't be tempted to any online sellers, although you can grab some amazing deals on 2nd hand. Trying a load of bikes would be first choice, take them out for a spin, get a feel for them and see what you like. Buying local may cost a little more but most shops match online prices. Some of my local bikes shops have closed due to covid.

For £2k at a minimum you want full carbon, a decent wheelset and full ultergra gears and brakes. Whilst I mention brakes you maybe used to disc on a mountain bike and these are popular now on road, again down to preference. I have one of each.

For £3k as above but with carbonwheels and possibly dura ace gears and brakes.

Popular brands are more expensive but the main thing is try before you buy.

My current road bike is a British build. Orro are the make. Got one of their limited edition hand made and hand painted. Love it but not that expensive compared to trek etc. Also ride cyclocross and that's a giant, totally different ride but both really comfortable
I’ll take a look

My sources suggest that there will be a full lockdown at the weekend. Get your exercise in during the week.

Do the old rules on shopping, taking the dog for a walk etc still stand in total lock down.

Last edited:
My sources suggest that there will be a full lockdown at the weekend. Get your exercise in during the week.

I cannot see it ending any other way some people are stupid and selfish and will spoil it for the rest of us.

As I've said, the act gives the authorities the powers they need to deal with this; there can be no justification for a full lock down and any politician that brings it in or supports it is finished, as is any police chief who enforces it. People are, by and large, obeying these (necessarily) Draconian measures peacefully. If the government starts taking the ****, I fear a huge backlash. Target the dickheads, leave us law abiding citizens alone.

As I've said, the act gives the authorities the powers they need to deal with this; there can be no justification for a full lock down and any politician that brings it in or supports it is finished, as is any police chief who enforces it. People are, by and large, obeying these (necessarily) Draconian measures peacefully. If the government starts taking the ****, I fear a huge backlash. Target the dickheads, leave us law abiding citizens alone.

There are certainly a lot of people not abiding by it. I know there a lot of posts about London parks but it is happening all across the UK. Where I live I am getting reports of the beaches with families have picnics etc. The weather that is coming in and the bank holiday is going to make it worse. I believe it may be a short term lock down just to cover the holiday/hot weather period.

Near me is rife for raves over Easter and may bank holidays. Usually 2000 people in the forest, partying and taking drugs etc. There is plenty activity online to suggest that these are being arranged as normal.

Either tell us who your sources are or you're just rumourmongering which isn't helpful.

I don't think telling an handful of people on a home brewing site is really rumourmongering. I can name names but doubt you will know them, unless you buy bath bombs on Facebook from my aunty June who knows someone who works for MI5

I don't think telling an handful of people on a home brewing site is really rumourmongering. I can name names but doubt you will know them, unless you buy bath bombs on Facebook from my aunty June who knows someone who works for MI5

Ahh, 'Aunty June' ;)

Latest posts

Back