The Football Thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VAR.

Its not going to go away so is it time to put X players in Stockley Park as these refs are getting decisions wrong so often its ruining the game?

Again can i ask for genuine fans to answer not football haters, thanks.

The video assistant referee for each game will be based in Stockley Park, a business estate in west London.

1643463876893.png

VAR.

Its not going to go away so is it time to put X players in Stockley Park as these refs are getting decisions wrong so often its ruining the game?

Again can i ask for genuine fans to answer not football haters, thanks.

The video assistant referee for each game will be based in Stockley Park, a business estate in west London.

View attachment 62043

I find it so frustrating that rugby has been using a form of VAR for years, which works really well and yet somehow football has failed to look at it and adopt a similar approach.

I'm not sure putting ex-players in is the answer as you only have to watch a few bits of post-match coverage to see how divided they can often be on the key decisions.

The drawing of lines needs binning; it helps nobody. Players moving at speed can't be 100% sure that they aren't a millimetre offside and the TV frame rate isn't quick enough to be that accurate. Use the rugby approach for forward passes where they review the slow-motion footage and if there is any uncertainty they give benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.

The sending of referees over to the touchline to review 'clear and obvious' errors doesn't really work either because the minute you do that the referee is biased into thinking he got something wrong. Again, you just have to look at rugby where the referee can have a discussion with the TMO about any big decisions that they may not be 100% sure about.

I'm not sure putting ex-players in is the answer as you only have to watch a few bits of post-match coverage to see how divided they can often be on the key decisions.

There is too much diving/cheating in football and it needs sorting players seem to spot it a lot quicker and more often than refs so that for me would be one reason to swap the refs for x players.

There is too much diving/cheating in football and it needs sorting players seem to spot it a lot quicker and more often than refs so that for me would be one reason to swap the refs for x players.

I can see the logic in that. A bit like the use of an ex-driver in the F1 steward's room to help explain some of the nuances of wheel-to-wheel combat that may be lost on someone that has never done it.

Last 15 minutes Kidderminster beating West ham 1 - 0

Watch live -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/59989010

Gutted :(

Premier League West Ham overcame a huge scare in the FA Cup fourth round as they beat National League North Kidderminster Harriers in extra time.
The Hammers were two minutes away from being the first top-flight team to be knocked out by sixth-tier opposition in the cup's 151-year history.
Declan Rice levelled after 91 minutes, cancelling out Alex Penny's opener.
Jarrod Bowen completed the turnaround in the 121st minute.
BBC Sport.

A good win by Spurs and a bad day at the office for our defence i don think you would find many city supporters who thought we would win every game left this season all teams slip up, all we have to do is keep going and make sure we beat Liverpool when we meet them in April.

These are both teams fixtures teams in bold are currently top 8 as you can see Liverpool face all teams at the top of the league i will be very surprised if they don't slip up.

City vs -
Everton
Man Utd
Palace
Brighton
Burnley
Liverpool
Wolves

Liverpool vs -
West Ham
Spurs
Arsenal
Man Utd
Man City
Spurs
Wolves

Last edited:
you seem to have come from nowhere this season. What’s the secret.

We had a great forward line last year but shocking defence, we were losing games 4-3 all the time, kept the attackers and brought in a new defence and hey presto! Still think we may not have quite enough backbone to make the playoffs though.

We had a great forward line last year but shocking defence, we were losing games 4-3 all the time, kept the attackers and brought in a new defence and hey presto! Still think we may not have quite enough backbone to make the playoffs though.

you beat us on Saturday without raising a sweat and with your two top scorers starting from the bench. Mind you that’s par for the course this season!

you beat us on Saturday without raising a sweat and with your two top scorers starting from the bench. Mind you that’s par for the course this season!

On our day I think we could beat anyone quite easily, we are very much a confidence side, if we go 1 down we quite often struggle. A gills fan, a few of my mates went, I was tempted. It was one of the few places i didnt go to when i lived in london, it's a bit further for me nowadays!

Ukraine crisis: Uefa likely to move Champions League final from St Petersburg in Russia (BBC Sport)

Uefa is almost certain to switch this season's Champions League final away from St Petersburg amid the Ukraine-Russia crisis.

Russia has ordered troops into two rebel-held regions of Ukraine and there are fears an invasion is planned.
Several countries, including the UK, have introduced sanctions against Russia in response to the move.

Uefa said it was "closely monitoring the situation" and "any decision would be made in due course if necessary".

Against the backdrop of unrest, Uefa is viewed as being highly unlikely to attempt to host the game in Russia.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, speaking in the House of Commons on Tuesday, said there was "no chance of holding football tournaments in a Russia that invades sovereign countries".

Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries added that she had "serious concerns about the sporting events due to be held in Russia, such as the Champions League final, and will discuss with the relevant governing bodies".

She added: "We won't allow [Russia] President [Vladimir] Putin to exploit events on the world stage to legitimise his illegal invasion of Ukraine."

Meanwhile, former UK sports minister Tracey Crouch has told BBC Sport that Uefa should move the final "immediately".

European football's governing body is assessing the situation before making a decision but it is set to be looking for a new venue at short notice for the third year running. The past two Champions League finals were played in Portugal because of Covid-19 related issues.

BBC Sport understands the game will still be played on Saturday, 28 May, which is likely to rule Wembley out as a host as the League Two and Championship play-off finals are set to be played at the stadium over that weekend.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said other venues in the British capital should be considered as he called for "a comprehensive package of sanctions against Russia" to be imposed.

"Hosting games should be a privilege not a right, I think the final should be taken away from St Petersburg and London stands ready to host the final," he told BBC London.

Uefa has already postponed the Youth League last-16 tie between Dynamo Kyiv and Sporting Lisbon which was scheduled to be played in the Ukraine capital on 2 March.

The match has been moved to 9 March, with Uefa saying they will remain "in contact with the two clubs for any further decision".

Other Uefa competition fixtures may yet need to be moved. There are no teams from Ukraine left in any other European competition this season but Russian club Zenit St Petersburg are still in the Europa League and are set to play the second leg of their play-off round tie with Real Betis in Spain on Thursday. Zenit lost the home leg 3-2.

At international level, Russia are scheduled to host Poland in a World Cup play-off on 24 March and - if they win - would face Sweden or Czech Republic on 29 March.

Ukraine are also in the World Cup play-offs, and visit Scotland and then either Wales or Austria in their bid to qualify for the tournament in Qatar.

Tensions in the region have escalated further this week with Russian President Vladimir Putin ordering troops into two rebel-held regions in eastern Ukraine, after recognising them as independent states.

Fears over an invasion have been rising in recent months, as Russia has massed around 150,000 troops along Ukraine's borders, according to US estimates.

"Given the British and European condemnation of Russian action in Ukraine, Uefa should immediately move the Champions League final from the Gazprom stadium," added Crouch.

"The ban on politicians and officials travelling to the Russian-hosted 2018 World Cup was a soft message to President Putin which made no significant difference - so Uefa need to take a much stronger stance not least to ensure the safety of travelling fans."

St Petersburg was used as a venue for a number of matches at last summer's delayed Euro 2020 tournament.

On Tuesday night Manchester City defender Oleksandr Zinchenko said "no-one will ever be able to appropriate" Ukraine.

The 25-year-old, who has 48 international caps for Ukraine, wrote on Instagram: "The whole civilized world is worried about the situation in my country. I can't stay away and try to convey my opinion. The country where I was born and raised. A country whose colours I defend in the international sports arena. A country that we try to glorify and develop. A country whose borders must remain inviolable.

"My country belongs to Ukrainians and no-one will ever be able to appropriate it. We will not give up! Glory to Ukraine."

Ukraine crisis: Uefa likely to move Champions League final from St Petersburg in Russia (BBC Sport)

Uefa is almost certain to switch this season's Champions League final away from St Petersburg amid the Ukraine-Russia crisis.

Russia has ordered troops into two rebel-held regions of Ukraine and there are fears an invasion is planned.
Several countries, including the UK, have introduced sanctions against Russia in response to the move.

Uefa said it was "closely monitoring the situation" and "any decision would be made in due course if necessary".

Against the backdrop of unrest, Uefa is viewed as being highly unlikely to attempt to host the game in Russia.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, speaking in the House of Commons on Tuesday, said there was "no chance of holding football tournaments in a Russia that invades sovereign countries".

Culture Secretary Nadine Dorries added that she had "serious concerns about the sporting events due to be held in Russia, such as the Champions League final, and will discuss with the relevant governing bodies".

She added: "We won't allow [Russia] President [Vladimir] Putin to exploit events on the world stage to legitimise his illegal invasion of Ukraine."

Meanwhile, former UK sports minister Tracey Crouch has told BBC Sport that Uefa should move the final "immediately".

European football's governing body is assessing the situation before making a decision but it is set to be looking for a new venue at short notice for the third year running. The past two Champions League finals were played in Portugal because of Covid-19 related issues.

BBC Sport understands the game will still be played on Saturday, 28 May, which is likely to rule Wembley out as a host as the League Two and Championship play-off finals are set to be played at the stadium over that weekend.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said other venues in the British capital should be considered as he called for "a comprehensive package of sanctions against Russia" to be imposed.

"Hosting games should be a privilege not a right, I think the final should be taken away from St Petersburg and London stands ready to host the final," he told BBC London.

Uefa has already postponed the Youth League last-16 tie between Dynamo Kyiv and Sporting Lisbon which was scheduled to be played in the Ukraine capital on 2 March.

The match has been moved to 9 March, with Uefa saying they will remain "in contact with the two clubs for any further decision".

Other Uefa competition fixtures may yet need to be moved. There are no teams from Ukraine left in any other European competition this season but Russian club Zenit St Petersburg are still in the Europa League and are set to play the second leg of their play-off round tie with Real Betis in Spain on Thursday. Zenit lost the home leg 3-2.

At international level, Russia are scheduled to host Poland in a World Cup play-off on 24 March and - if they win - would face Sweden or Czech Republic on 29 March.

Ukraine are also in the World Cup play-offs, and visit Scotland and then either Wales or Austria in their bid to qualify for the tournament in Qatar.

Tensions in the region have escalated further this week with Russian President Vladimir Putin ordering troops into two rebel-held regions in eastern Ukraine, after recognising them as independent states.

Fears over an invasion have been rising in recent months, as Russia has massed around 150,000 troops along Ukraine's borders, according to US estimates.

"Given the British and European condemnation of Russian action in Ukraine, Uefa should immediately move the Champions League final from the Gazprom stadium," added Crouch.

"The ban on politicians and officials travelling to the Russian-hosted 2018 World Cup was a soft message to President Putin which made no significant difference - so Uefa need to take a much stronger stance not least to ensure the safety of travelling fans."

St Petersburg was used as a venue for a number of matches at last summer's delayed Euro 2020 tournament.

On Tuesday night Manchester City defender Oleksandr Zinchenko said "no-one will ever be able to appropriate" Ukraine.

The 25-year-old, who has 48 international caps for Ukraine, wrote on Instagram: "The whole civilized world is worried about the situation in my country. I can't stay away and try to convey my opinion. The country where I was born and raised. A country whose colours I defend in the international sports arena. A country that we try to glorify and develop. A country whose borders must remain inviolable.

"My country belongs to Ukrainians and no-one will ever be able to appropriate it. We will not give up! Glory to Ukraine."
Just ban everything russian

Chelsea's Russian owner Roman Abramovich says he is "giving trustees of Chelsea's charitable foundation the stewardship and care" of the club.

Abramovich, who will remain the club's owner, has made the move amid Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
The decision also comes a day before Chelsea play Liverpool in the Carabao Cup final at Wembley.

"I have always taken decisions with the club's best interest at heart," said Abramovich in a statement.

"I remain committed to these values. That is why I am today giving trustees of Chelsea's charitable Foundation the stewardship and care of Chelsea FC.

"I believe that currently they are in the best position to look after the interests of the club, players, staff, and fans."

Abramovich is one of Russia's richest people and believed to be close to Russian president Vladimir Putin, added: "During my nearly 20-year ownership of Chelsea FC, I have always viewed my role as a custodian of the club, whose job it is ensuring that we are as successful as we can be today, as well as build for the future, while also playing a positive role in our communities."

It is not known yet if Abramovich will be sanctioned as part of the UK government's measures against Russia.

BBC Sport understands that Chelsea is not for sale and the £1.5bn loan their owner gave to the club is not being called in.

During Abramovich's time at the Chelsea helm, the club has won the Champions League twice, both the Premier League and FA Cup five times, the Europa League twice and the League Cup three times.

In August 2021, they won the Uefa Super Cup and they recently won a first Club World Cup, meaning the Blues have won every possible trophy under Abramovich's ownership.

Earlier in the week, Labour's Chris Bryant told MPs he had a leaked Home Office document which suggested Abramovich should not be able to base himself in the UK.

Downing Street would not be drawn on the claims about Abramovich made in the House of Commons.

Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel had said on Friday that there were "so many uncertainties around the situation of our club" following Russia's invasion of a neighbouring country.

BBC Sport.

Liverpool have won the Carabao Cup!

It went all the way to the goalkeepers - Caoimhin Kelleher scored and Kepa Arrizabalaga missed!

Liverpool 11-10 Chelsea

Fifa has ordered Russia to complete their upcoming matches without their flag, anthem and as the Football Union of Russia in neutral territory, following the invasion of Ukraine.

Several nations have announced that they will refuse to play Russia, including England, as well as Poland, Czech Republic and Sweden.
World Cup play-offs would see Russia face Poland then either the Czech Republic or Sweden if they win - and are due to be played in March.

Russian President Vladimir Putin launched a military invasion of neighbouring Ukraine on Thursday.

Fifa said talks will take place with other sporting organisations over whether Russia should be expelled from competitions.

"Fifa would like to reiterate its condemnation of the use of force by Russia in its invasion of Ukraine," world football's governing body said in a statement on Sunday.

"Violence is never a solution and Fifa expresses its deepest solidarity to all people affected by what is happening in Ukraine.

"Fifa will continue its ongoing dialogue with the International Olympic Committee, Uefa and other sport organisations to determine any additional measures or sanctions, including a potential exclusion from competitions, that shall be applied in the near future should the situation not be improving rapidly.

"Fifa's thoughts remain with everybody affected by this shocking and worrying situation."

Earlier on Sunday, the Football Association announced England will not play any international matches against Russia at any level following the invasion of Ukraine.

The FA said they "wholeheartedly condemn the atrocities being committed by the Russian leadership".

English football's governing body said the boycott of matches will be "for the foreseeable future".

Analysis
Dan Roan, BBC sports editor

I doubt Poland, Sweden and the Czech Republic will be satisfied with this and I wonder what they think of Uefa backing it. Are there now questions for Uefa's president Ceferin?

Fifa say Russia must play home matches on neutral territory - but who on earth would agree to host them?

This will disappoint those calling for Russia to be excluded but Fifa will say this sounds like a final warning: "Fifa will continue its ongoing dialogue…to determine any additional measures or sanctions, including a potential exclusion from competitions."

Sport continues to react
The International Judo Federation has suspended Russian president Vladimir Putin as its honorary president.

Boxing's world governing bodies the IBF, WBA, WBC and WBO say they will not sanction any title fights in Russia.

Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina will donate prize money to aid efforts.

The world number 15 says the money will be used to "support the army and humanitarian needs and help them to defend you, our country".

At the Fencing World Cup in Cairo, Ukraine's men's foil team refused to fence against Russia on Sunday.

"This is our protest against the war. We cannot fence against them while our families are in danger, and everybody is in danger," said the team.

Meanwhile, Premier League football club Chelsea said the situation in Ukraine was "horrific and devastating".

The statement came after Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, the Russia billionaire who is believed to be close to Putin, was criticised for not mentioning the war when he announced he was handing over "stewardship and care" of the club.

Putin is a blackbelt in judo and was awarded the eighth dan, one of the sport's highest honours, by the International Judo Federation (IJF) in 2012. He has also co-authored a book titled Judo: History, Theory, Practice.

"In light of the ongoing war conflict in Ukraine, the International Judo Federation announces the suspension of Mr Vladimir Putin's status as Honorary President and Ambassador of the International Judo Federation," the IJF said.

Announcing their move, the IBF, WBA, WBC and WBO said: "Just as this war has put a stop to boxing in Ukraine, our organisations will not sanction fights in Russia until further assessment of the situation."

Latest posts

Back