The Force...Clibit...pig in ****e!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapbrew

Junk and disorderly
Reaction score
Last night thanks to Clibit (and others here) I felt the force very strongly and was as happy as a pig in sh ite.

Started with a bottle of AG#2 which was a little flat when I sampled a bottle a week ago and WAS the least favourite of the first few AG brews, but wow what a difference a week makes, still not a great fizz/head but tasted absolutely feckin gorgeous, perfectly clear and had a perfect malt and hop balance for me, I was absolutely chuffed to bits and was almost tempted to crack another! But I know it will be better next week.

Then I moved onto a bottle of AG#3 which was my unmalted wheat beer experiment, again perfectly clear and.it had better carbonation and kept a bit of a head and tasted less malty and allowed the first gold hops to come through more. If this was made with a lager style hop and lager yeast I think it would pass for a decent lager ...one to try in future. But very, very pleased with the result.

Then I finished with a bottle of AG#1 which was too high mash temp and lager yeast it ended fermentation early and needed brewery yeast and golden syrup to add alcohol to balance the sweetness, but now a month or so along its coming good and again very clear and tastes very much like a lager but with a stronger alcohol taste than the other two, and had more thickness/body to it

Considering the different mash temps and slightly different grain bills and yeasts used all three came out quite similar but with noticeable differences.

I will definitely do AG#2 and AG#3 again and maybe try them with a lager yeast and hops. AG#1 although good, when compared to the other 2 wasn't quite as nice, but it helped me to understand the differences in brewing styles.

I had a silly grin on most of the night and was making my missus laugh coz I kept saying with almost every mouthful I drank, "That is feckin lovely, I've made proper beer, I'm a microbrewery"

Massive thanks to Clibit and all for the help moving to the darkside! :thumb:
I can't wait for my grain and hops to arrive on Monday for my attempt at some Guinness clones next, so to console myself I'm going out today to get some juice for a TC and a Wow.

Amen to that. I'm brewing AG#2 today. Brewing is just about all I think about lately, planning my next ones seeing what I need and what I already have that can also be used in something different. Really glad I just said 'f**k it' and dived straight in. Loving it.

Best wishes with today's brew Notlaw,

and I agree, anyone thinking about it should just go for it and get it on, if you can follow a simple recipe then Clibit has kindly provided all the instructions needed to make pukka beer, and there is plenty of help on here if folks encounter any problems.

I'm at stage three of the AG appreciation :-

Stage 1 - you taste it and think "hey this is good" with a hint of surprise and you are chuffed.

Stage 2 - your family/friends taste it and say "hey this is good" with a hint of surprise and you are chuffed.

Stage 3 - other family/friends taste it and say "hey this is good" with a hint of surprise and you think "why the surprise you cheeky *&*^%".

Wonder what stage four is ?

I passed the first three stages ok, stage 4 for me is gonna be when the brewery lad who helped me with the grain bill and hop amounts etc for my beer gets to taste it and comment, maybe tomorrow.

I'm at stage three of the AG appreciation :-

Stage 1 - you taste it and think "hey this is good" with a hint of surprise and you are chuffed.

Stage 2 - your family/friends taste it and say "hey this is good" with a hint of surprise and you are chuffed.

Stage 3 - other family/friends taste it and say "hey this is good" with a hint of surprise and you think "why the surprise you cheeky *&*^%".

Wonder what stage four is ?

Stage 4. Everyone offers to do you the massive favour of drinking all your beer for you.

Stage 4 for me was when a nice lady of my acquaintance - a life long wine drinker and a HATER OF BEER, started asking if I could bring my beer to her house when we have dinner and drank a whole litre of the stuff (7% abv) and said with a silly grin on her face, 'This is REALLY lovely. I don't like beer. I don't understand what is happening..' :lol:

Well this morning I gave some sample bottles to the brewery lads dad to give to him, he telephoned late this afternoon with his report/comments, which were very similar to mine, he gave AG#2 7/10 (mainly coz it wasn't as well carbed up) and the other two he gave 8/10 and said it was probably the best homebrew anyone has ever given him and said he is impressed for first attempts, but he liked the AG#3 wheat beer version best and commented on clarity and the nice citrusy hop flavour that came through and he is taking some for the brewery's head brewer to try tomorrow...that made my day, I'm well chuffed.

Well this morning I gave some sample bottles to the brewery lads dad to give to him, he telephoned late this afternoon with his report/comments, which were very similar to mine, he gave AG#2 7/10 (mainly coz it wasn't as well carbed up) and the other two he gave 8/10 and said it was probably the best homebrew anyone has ever given him and said he is impressed for first attempts, but he liked the AG#3 wheat beer version best and commented on clarity and the nice citrusy hop flavour that came through and he is taking some for the brewery's head brewer to try tomorrow...that made my day, I'm well chuffed.

That's brilliant, top notch AG beer already!

I was thinking I liked it, the missus said it was ok but she don't drink beer and the two lads liked it but are lager drinkers. So I was kinda looking forward to some feedback from someone with experience, and at the same time thinking maybe he might say its horrible, so saying he is taking one of them in for the head brewer to try blew me away!

Its all your fault Clibit!

Excellent, that's great to hear cheapy, and gives me some encouragement about how mine could turn out. It does make me a bit nervous when I'm going to be making number 3 before I've even tasted number 1.! Just got to have faith I suppose

Excellent, that's great to hear cheapy, and gives me some encouragement about how mine could turn out. It does make me a bit nervous when I'm going to be making number 3 before I've even tasted number 1.! Just got to have faith I suppose

Yes keep the faith, I feel the force is strong in you.

I made a few geordie, tom caxton and boots kits in the mid to late seventies with my old dad and we tried a couple of extract brews but they always had that home brew twang so I stuck to my wine making which always came out good.
Now many years later I've made some AG beers for the first time and its proper beer and now the sky is my limit.

I just got a message saying my ingredients for my Guinness clone will be delivered in the next couple of hours.....the missus is working so the kitchen is free this afternoon...I have no real important work today......hmmmmm decisions, decisions!

Back